Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anybody have some real world numbers on the s5 tip 0-60? iv seen the 6 speed do it as low as 4.7 so i was wondering how much better or worse the tip would be.

·
Registered
12 Posts
S5 tip 0-60

the "book" figure is 5.4 secs but I talked to someone in the know and they said that this is only because the auto is slower off the line since you can't dump the clutch at 4500rpm like in the manual. In reality, the auto S-series have always been quicker once rolling. They also return better fuel figures (26mpg vs 23 for the manual S5). I drove a manual and auto S4 back to back to test the engine/gearbox combo before ordering my S5 tip, and the auto felt much faster, especially when overtaking. The tipshift on the wheel also makes the exhaust pop on a double-downshift. Very cool!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the "book" figure is 5.4 secs but I talked to someone in the know and they said that this is only because the auto is slower off the line since you can't dump the clutch at 4500rpm like in the manual. In reality, the auto S-series have always been quicker once rolling. They also return better fuel figures (26mpg vs 23 for the manual S5). I drove a manual and auto S4 back to back to test the engine/gearbox combo before ordering my S5 tip, and the auto felt much faster, especially when overtaking. The tipshift on the wheel also makes the exhaust pop on a double-downshift. Very cool!
thanx alot!!! so if i were to hold the brake and launch the car at 4500 rpm i would be able to get close to the 6 speed numbers?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I had a Tip S4 (2005) with a similar ZF version of the tiptronic and it was great. On paper it was .3 seconds slower to 60 but in the real world it's negligible. The A5/S5 version is probably even better since it's newer. If you want an auto you will be happy with it for sure. I did end up going back to the manual in my S5 since I moved to the suburbs and don't have as much traffic to deal with and I prefer to row the gears. But definitely not due to the tip performance at all.

·
Registered
42 Posts
thanx alot!!! so if i were to hold the brake and launch the car at 4500 rpm i would be able to get close to the 6 speed numbers?

The 'old' trick of 'holding' an auto-box on the brake, flooring the throttle and then releasing the brake for best acceleration no longer works with modern-day cars.
Since when you brake, the power is automatically 'dumped'.

On my A3 with DSG if you depress the brake then floor the throttle, the engine dies as if to say forget it!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I will time it this weekend

I own a S5 tiptronic and glad i bought one over the manual (although i had to wait about 6 extra months to get it).

I've thrown the car into M1 gear, foot on brake, with a little acceleration, and pulled off from a light just as it felt in the S5 manual. Paddle shifters allow you to watch the RPM redline, and shift up appropriately.

I doubt there is a difference, but will have someone in the passenger seat to clock it.

stay tuned....

·
Registered
750 Posts
I own a S5 tiptronic and glad i bought one over the manual (although i had to wait about 6 extra months to get it).

I've thrown the car into M1 gear, foot on brake, with a little acceleration, and pulled off from a light just as it felt in the S5 manual. Paddle shifters allow you to watch the RPM redline, and shift up appropriately.

I doubt there is a difference, but will have someone in the passenger seat to clock it.

stay tuned....
You may be right, but there is a certain tactile sensation you get from working the gears manually that isn't there with the tip. (P.S. I nearly bought a Tip).

(2 cents...)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Bump... Is there any mag tests on tiptronic?

My 2009 S5 brochure lists 4.9 sec for both. If I recall European Audi webpages show 5.1 and 5.4 for 0-62mph.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Bump... Is there any mag tests on tiptronic?

My 2009 S5 brochure lists 4.9 sec for both. If I recall European Audi webpages show 5.1 and 5.4 for 0-62mph.

Thanks
UK Brochures show 0-100kmph time (62mph) . If acceleration is linear ( I know it isn't BTW!) 0-100kmph (62mph) at 5.1 - 0-60 = 4.9 or thereabouts. I'm happy with my diseasel which will crack 5.5 to 60 and 40mpg. Must book that rolling road as like Jen I reckon I am getting more than 240bhp and 500Nm...:moped:

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Have we actually any valid performance stats on the forum for the diesels, other than videos and stopwatch-based anecdotes?

I guess we'll get finally get some at Santa Pod?
I have posted GPS timings for my MTM A5.
0-62MPH in 6.13 seconds, so that would be perhaps 5.9 to 60.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Have we actually any valid performance stats on the forum for the diesels, other than videos and stopwatch-based anecdotes?

I guess we'll get finally get some at Santa Pod?
Sounds fair enough to me Mr E.

I can only go by my mate with the Omega Stopwatch.

Not sure I need to know exact figures but good luck to you folks that do!

Alejandro's 5.9 to 60 seems slow. JenButMAd reckons her 3.0Tdi puts out 278bhp as standard (240).. Certainly my motor now nicely loosened up goes like a rocket and is way quicker than I expected. Audi figure = 5.9 to 62 mph !

Nice to know, and tempted to try the Castle Combe Rolling Road man in a week or two.

Cheers

RG

:)

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Seems my point is made through the 2 posts above - 'my mate with an Omega (not sure why that's important? - I'm sure a Timex would do an equivalent job) stopwatch says my car does 0-60 in 5.5 seconds', then Alejandro with a substantially tuned car posting a substantiated figure of 6.13 0-62, possibly equating to 5.9 0-60.

Nuff said really - in performance related threads, let's try to stick to facts, not flkights of fancy?

RG, why is it 'nice to know' the power output of your car, but you're 'not sure' if you need to know how that translates into actual real-world performance? Sounds a bit contradictory?

I somehow doubt that Audi record the performance stats they post for their cars by getting a mate with some Omega watch to sit there and hazard a guess as to when the test driver reached 62mph. Lovely idea tho'.....

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
I am not into 'flkights of fancy' Mr E. My 3.0Tdi Quattro seems seriously quick for 'only' 240bhp. Jenbutmad has rolling road figures of 278... just thought I would like to find out what the output really is. (Nice to know). In real life performance is fine.. more than adequate... and nothing contradictory in that IMHO.

The point about the Omega is that they are (I am told) reliable timepieces and that is what we used- fact. Surely the Timex reference is picking hairs.:)

Of course if you use high tech monitoring devises etc etc you can be sure of (more) accurate results but in my eyes WTH.

I would be interested to know what the actual power output of my motor is as I am pretty sure it is more than Audi Quote (as was Jenbutmad's car.... Help please Jen!):moped:

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
My car is not slow for those who said it is.
It is almost incomparable to a stock 3.0TDI A5 - difference in power & acceleration is quite dramatic!
If I raced a stock A5 TDI I would leave it behind me by bus lengths, I have killed cars like BMW 645Ci, 2008 A8 4.2 Quattro (257KW), E92 330i......so no, not really slow. Especially BMW 645Ci would hand a stock 3.0TDI its cookies.
If I were timing with my very accurate Breitling wristwatches I would still get an unbelievable figure of 5.5 seconds to 62MPH and 12 seconds to 100MPH which is close to....Bentley GT for example LOL.....so no, use GPS instead. Speedometer also always shows more than you really go.

My old video is still on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meRcEYv0F88

·
Registered
33 Posts
u can side step the clutch at 7,000 not 4,500 , u just have to hold traction control off for seven seconds. you wouldnt wanna do it too many times tho. then you'll do at least 5 seconds flat to a 100. the acceleration feels amazing , a tiny bit of wheel spin then it just grips and puts it power down

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Someone should investigate time difference between Breitling and Omega stopwatch, it is the most important think, as I see :wall::wall::wall:

How many times did you do meassurement, less than 10times, says nothing.

Are you sure you did it on flat road?

For Alejandro, near Prague, between Davle and Stechovice, road by Vltava river is old, official meassurement sector, you can see there 1 km check marker. It is really flat road. Try it there.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Someone should investigate time difference between Breitling and Omega stopwatch, it is the most important think, as I see :wall::wall::wall:
I was just saying that GPS is the valid way to measure.
I did a measure on a flat road with Beltronics VX2 device.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Theres no way jens car is pulling 278bhp, find that extremely hard yo beleive. Must be calculated incorrectly.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Theres no way jens car is pulling 278bhp, find that extremely hard yo beleive. Must be calculated incorrectly.
+1 :)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts