Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time poster. Purchased 2019 S5 over the summer and we live in the Northeast. Looking to get all weather vs winter tires. Original Continental summer tires only have 2k miles on them. In your opinion, is the quality of the original tires enough to keep them and pay the expense to put them on next spring, or just ditch them and get the all weathers? Thank you in advance!!

·
Registered
338 Posts
My personal opinion here but I'll weigh in.

I own summer tires as a side-effect of wanting dedicated winter tires. After many winters on all seasons, I decided it was time to see what the big deal was about winter tires and I'll say that I'll never drive in a winter again without them.

What I did, though, was ended up with a second set of wheels to go along with those tires. Now I have summer wheels and winter wheels. Saves the cost of having a shop mount and balance each year and you can even use the winter as a time to do a nice deep detail on those summer wheels. It's also nice to have separate wheels for the times you want to replace said tires. I just bring them in loose to the tire shop and pick them back up whenever they're done. No need to wait in their waiting room and they can have the whole off-season to put it on their schedule.

Oh, and if you keep track of what corner each wheel was on, you set yourself up well for a good rotation schedule.

·
Administrator
4,615 Posts
Saves the cost of having a shop mount and balance each year and you can even use the winter as a time to do a nice deep detail on those summer wheels.
why would you rebalance the wheels again ??
if you put them back in the same place as the year before, you don't need to rebalance.

Oh, and if you keep track of what corner each wheel was on, you set yourself up well for a good rotation schedule.
a rotation schedule on a quattro ??
the only thing you could do is to move the front tyres to the rear and vice versa.
keeping them on the same side of the car.

·
Registered
338 Posts
why would you rebalance the wheels again ??
if you put them back in the same place as the year before, you don't need to rebalance.
Funny you should mention that. I used to do this on my Civic since they had a higher profile tire and I had the equipment to mount these tires. I marked the position of the tire relative to the valve stem and it worked out pretty well. However, mounting and balancing at a shop is quoted as a mount/balance combo. I never had a need to discuss the option of doing only the mount because I bought separate wheels for the remaining reasons I stated in my post.

a rotation schedule on a quattro ??
the only thing you could do is to move the front tyres to the rear and vice versa.
keeping them on the same side of the car.
I personally rotate tires. You can read up on it here: Tire Tech:Tire Rotation Instructions
Keep in mind I am speaking from my opinion/experience with my own car. To me, Quattro is Audi's marketing term for AWD - as far as I can tell/feel (and from what I remember from some readings a long time ago) we have open differentials on the front and rear axle (except maybe sport rear diff?) and slip is controlled by applying the brakes individually at the corners, allowing torque to be transferred to the wheel with better traction. The center diff is a certain generation of Torsen. To be fair, I am not 100% confident in my memory on this so please provide any info to suggest the contrary. Anyways, the important thing to keep in mind is that you want your front and rear tires to be within a certain rolling radius in order to keep the Torsen from binding. That percentage is highly speculated but the number can be as low as 2% depending on who you believe. For that reason, I feel that it would be even more important to rotate tires.
So, for that, I go with the rearward cross rotation except for the time I tried out directional tires. In that case, I switched front and rear. The important thing is to make sure tires are maintaining their pairing by axle.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have summer and winter, I need a new set of winters though.
I’m undecided as to what to get.
My summers are new Michelin PSS5’s.
Wow, they are AWESOME.
What type of Continental summers are they, and what’s your winter pick?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
Here is my 2 penny worth. I have always had 2 sets of wheels for my cars cos here in Italy we have many roads which go up to 1000 metres and on these you are not allowed to drive in the winter months without chains OR winter tyres. Yes, the 4 season tyres are homologated and legal but they are simply not as good in my experience. They are great on our VW Tiguan (16 inches I think) but I would not fit them on my van NOR on my S4. I am lucky to have space enough to keep the other 2 sets.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts