Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

S5 Strut Brace

3K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  cadguy77 
#1 ·
Anyone fitted a Racingline Body Brace to a 2015 S5?

Good Value?
Easy to fit?
Good results?

#2 ·
Link? I'm not aware of any strut brace for the B8 platform, but an Audizine user took it upon himself to make one that he did sell off to fellow forum users. I think his username was U2Nelson or something similar. Google will bring up his CR15 strut thread and you can read reviews and get in touch with the guy that way I guess, unless he's stopped doing them now.

Regards

#3 ·
I have just made the strut bar like the CR-15. Once I have made some adjustments and templated it, I will offer them for purchase. With the lockdown, I've only been out in the car once, so not had chance to properly road test it, but initial feelings, is, the steering feels heavier and possibly more positive. I'll be able to tell once we all can get out again.

The one Nelson sold are for LHD cars only due to the cut out for the brake reservoir. I think someone called James made a RHD version, but the RHD bars I have seen are £170!! I plan on selling mine at first, below £100. :)

#8 ·
U2Nelson (James) does offer a RHD version available direct from USA or via UK distributor BroTek, but £170 is too steep for my taste.

Dave Kwatro I'll be your 1st customer ?

#4 ·
#5 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't these for the B9?

As Seen here - racingline | Audi B9 Bodybrace
It certainly is and won't fit a B8, which I believe a 2015 would be. Curiously enough, on their website, their range for the A/S/RS5 is strictly limited to the B9, however the photo is of a B8, which I sort of find slightly misleading.

Regards

#6 ·
The strut bar you guys mention is the one that fits across the engine bay to tighten up the front end I guess. But do you then have to remove the bar when you need to work on the engine, or are they non invasive so to speak.

#7 ·
For the B9 version linked to earlier the photos on that page are sort of self explanatory. The "homemade" Nelson CR15 version for the B8 sits just behind the false firewall underneath the plastic trim cover so it's not really majorly in the way for anything that needs to be done to the engine itself since the engine wholly sits in front of the false firewall.

Regards

#9 ·
Yes, correct- I've done both the top & lower ones on my B8 coupe and although the top one which I did first made an improvement, having recently done the lower one has completely transformed the handling- zero under-steer and handles precise to the touch- now I've been driving with it for a few weeks I can honestly say that it's one of the best mods I've done:

For the top you (can make or) fit this:
Canyon Run Strut Tower Brace

S5 Performance & Mods
Got my CR-15 bar installed today. Was pretty simple and the directions and included hardware.

For the lower one that sits under the gearbox there is info on this thread:
RHD chassis brace

#14 ·
Ah the old 3 month warranty or the substitute pandemic toilet roll. :D

They have so many clauses, unless the dealer you bought from is decent and has their warranties through a main aftermarket vehicle warranty company.

Anyway, 3 months isn't long, we may be out of lockdown by then!

My route to work is through some nice S bends that could've tested the strut bar properly, but for now it will be limited testing. The advantage is, no miles going on the S5. Only driven it once in the past 2 weeks. Currently sat on driveway minus the rear valance whilst I do some other little project mods. :)

During my research, I found that Audi did used to put the bar on the S models like S2 from the 80s/90s. That bar was much more simple as it didn't need any cut outs and holes to accept all the bolts, brake reservoir etc etc. :)

#15 ·
Praying I don't need to test the warranty.

It's nice to get to know the car standard, but with the current situation not getting much chance to feel its limits.

I'm no mechanic and don't have a great range of tools, so most of the mods I plan on doing will require the attention of my friendly neighbourhood garage. But in the mean time, I'll buy my planned mods and get ready for this pandemic to subside.

I look forward to seeing your front brace @Dave Kwatro

What are the current options available for bracing the rear struts of the S5? Is it physically possible?
I see lower control arm braces eg.:

ECS Rear Lower Control Arm Brace
or
Ultra Racing Rear Lower Brace

But I haven't found any reports of their effectiveness.

#16 ·
You sound like me mate, loads of theory and needing a good indi to do the tricky stuff!! I bought a VAGCOM software and stuff and that was the best thing I ever bought, really changes yer life well at least yer car hehe. And this site too is full of good info and nice folks willing to offer tips and help, so have a good search on here and I guarantee that you will find loads of info, help and fun too!!!

Reactions: cadguy77
#17 ·
Yeah it's lucky I can work on my cars myself! Collated a good toolkit along the years and saved quite a bit of money! In my B6 A4 Avant, I lost 2nd gear, the synchro ring lost it's teeth and I had no drive in 2nd gear. Took me a couple of days and £100 to fix! My fix was still going strong 5 years later and 50+k miles! :) Done head gaskets, clutches, brakes etc etc From my experience I only trust the work done by myself. Most know about the bad experience with my S5 and a recall!

Where abouts are you based Cadguy?

#18 ·
I'm based in SW London.

During my VR6 days I done a few bits myself, supercharger install, swapping inlet manifolds, but all other work was done at The Phirm who I'll use for work on the S5.

What recall issue did you have?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

#20 ·
I'm based in SW London.

During my VR6 days I done a few bits myself, supercharger install, swapping inlet manifolds, but all other work was done at The Phirm who I'll use for work on the S5.

What recall issue did you have?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Was thinking about your location for maybe some help with mods by forum members ;) But would be a trek up to Manchester! :D

I remember the VR6s, I bought a Rover coupe Turbo when my mate was looking at those. They were the early R32 :)

Oh don't get me started! :) brief outline, it went in for the CREC fuel rail recall at the main dealer, and they messed up my cooling system when they removed the supercharger coolant pipes. They had overfilled the coolant tank. Then I had steam coming up from the bonnet like some old shed of a car and my coolant tank was empty. The front of the engine was spattered with coolant. VCDS also gave an error of the charger coolant pump running dry!! I took it back and they wanted to try and charge me!! They wavered the investigation charges and said nothing wrong with it. When I got the car back there wasn't anything wrong with it, so they fixed the leak and lied!! Been fine with no coolant top ups since last year now, but I lost all confidence in dealers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.