Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked everywhere on audi.com but other than some vague references to "massive" brakes and some discussion about the emergency braking helper, I can't find any specs on the stock brakes. Can anyone point me to some better information on the calipers (# pistons, floating or not, etc) and the rotor sizes?

TIA

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Brakes

Front:
13.6-in. vented discs/2-piston sliding calipers

Rear:
13.0-in. vented discs/1-piston sliding calipers

·
Registered
341 Posts
SAJ
Where did you find your spec? I'd be interested to know more.
I show the following, at least for the US Spec car-- unless it was changed after publication :

Specs from A5/S5 Self-Study Program: Running Gear (Audi of America)

A5 Front 12.5" disks- ventilated, single 2.24" diameter piston, floating caliper
A5 Rear 11.8" disks- solid, single 1.69" diameter piston
S5 Front 13.6" disks-ventilated, single 2.24" diameter piston, floating caliper
S5 Rear 12.9" disks- solid, single 1.69" diameter piston

I was quite surprised to see in this spec single-piston calipers for the S5 and expected at least a 2 pot unit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know I read the front discs are ventilated and the rears are solid. I guess they are saving the really good brakes for the RS5.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
... We appear to have uncovered anothet UK/US diffence...

The rear are vented on mine and the front are dual piston... Looks like we get higher spec brakes in the UK!!

:)

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
SAJ
I show the following, at least for the US Spec car-- unless it was changed after publication :

A5 Front 12.5" disks- ventilated, single 2.24" diameter piston, floating caliper

I was quite surprised to see in this spec single-piston calipers for the S5 and expected at least a 2 pot unit.
I got them from the road and track website.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Can we order the UK spec brakes for US bound cars (for the s5 )???

·
Registered
735 Posts

The rear are vented on mine and the front are dual piston... Looks like we get higher spec brakes in the UK!!

That is amazing..............:eek:

Wonder what I'll get here ! :confused:

·
Registered
341 Posts
I yield to SAJ's call out of 2 piston front calipers on the S5. The US Sales brochure notes multi-piston calipers.

The spec book I have must be inaccurate.

I'll have to pull a wheel off and look when my car shows up.

Thanks SAJ

·
Registered
318 Posts
For those in the U.S. we have single piston calipers (no different than what BMW likes to use on their cars). On the S5, it is a large piston but it is single nonetheless. If you want pics, they are off the car and I'd be happy to snap some detailed pics for the forum.

·
Registered
318 Posts
A5inReston,

I can confirm everything you have listed for the S5, except on my car (Sept 07 build) I have ventillated rear discs. The discs in the pic below are stock, only they have been drilled with a special machine.

SAJ

·
Registered
341 Posts
Quatt
Thanks for the input. I am still surprised it is single piston, but so be it.
Seems the literature is out of sync with delivered machines.

Regardless, most owners claim the brakes are great as they are.
Some folks (like you) have chosen to tweak them and that is cool too.

Much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Quatt
Thanks for the input. I am still surprised it is single piston, but so be it.
Seems the literature is out of sync with delivered machines.

Regardless, most owners claim the brakes are great as they are.
Some folks (like you) have chosen to tweak them and that is cool too.

Much appreciated.
I'd like them to be better, they are good....but after a spirited drive on some back roads they can begin to fade quite quickly.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Slotted and Cross Drilled Rotors

Has anyone been able to locate stock replacement rotors that are slotted and cross drilled from any manufacture (i.e., Brembo, AP, etc.). The pictures above look like they are drilled (Quattrings, where did you grab those).

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I've had APS looking into this and they have come up with no drilled replacement rotors from any of the 'usual suspects'

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I've had APS looking into this and they have come up with no drilled replacement rotors from any of the 'usual suspects'
I found the same. Some place do drill your existing rotors though i'm not so sure it's really a good idea. Only other alternative is to upgrade the brake system itself. I'm sure quattrings upgraded his to stop-tech brakes???

·
Registered
318 Posts
Sorry for the late reply.

When I had the front brakes fitted, I had StopTech remove and replace the rear rotors. They have the proper equipment to drill and bevel the holes exactly at their site. It's a tricky process and takes a great deal of time, mainly because the rears are vented and the holes have to be programmed into a special machine to prevent an accidental drill through a vane. If that happens, the rotor is basically trashed. It's not something they offer in their catalog because of the time and expense involved - it was a "one-off. They did a great job though, very happy with StopTech.

BTW - They did offer slotted, and said it was MUCH easier to do. (Would have taken 1-2 hours vs. 6-7 hours) but I really wanted the swiss cheese look.

Has anyone been able to locate stock replacement rotors that are slotted and cross drilled from any manufacture (i.e., Brembo, AP, etc.). The pictures above look like they are drilled (Quattrings, where did you grab those).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts