Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody had the S5 Side Skirts fitted post delivery? I didn't think it was an option when I ordered (Didn't think about it to be honest!) But I've seen a few people on here with their A5 spec that has this on.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Forum member golfdeeko fitted side skirts to his A5 post delivery. My guess is that the A5's you've seen with side skirts are probably folks with the S-line exterior body treatment, which includes the same side skirts found on the S5.

Check out the following thread for more information regarding post delivery installation of the side skirts: http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/s5-sideskirts-a5-1851/index.html?t=1851

Also, please read this: http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/important-welcome-all-1143/index.html

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TX...Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!!

ps..point taken on the bottom thread too

·
Registered
220 Posts
Eventually got around to fitting the side skirts, S5 grille and reiger rear roof spoiler - subtle but great changes IMO

Spoiler does looks the "dogs dangly bits" really pleased with it.

By the way eventually opted for the skirts (stone guards) to be bonded on - need a good bodyshop to do it as to be done by eye and then secured and lets in low bake oven to set.....worth it!!!

Feast your eyes...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Just an interesting detail on country to country differences: the side-skirts are actually standard fare in Finland for both the A4 B8 and the A5. Just the side-skirts, not anything else from the S-line package. This has been confirmed by dealers and car owners alike, all the cars get the side skirts. Country organizations can apparently pretty much choose what kinds of standard items they order for the cars, this is one rather strange example in my opinion - maybe someone in the country organization just liked the skirts. :)

Here is a picture (that is the standard front but with side-skirts on sides):

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
That actually looks really good. I would remove the S5 badge from the grille though.

Do your mirror caps match your wheel finish?

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
hi mate, looking good, any better pics of the side skirts? im looking at doing the same to mine :)

·
Registered
750 Posts
Eventually got around to fitting the side skirts, S5 grille and reiger rear roof spoiler - subtle but great changes IMO

Spoiler does looks the "dogs dangly bits" really pleased with it.

By the way eventually opted for the skirts (stone guards) to be bonded on - need a good bodyshop to do it as to be done by eye and then secured and lets in low bake oven to set.....worth it!!!

Feast your eyes...
Hey ABZY,

I have to be honest, I wasn't sure about the roof spoiler, but it really looks good. I agree with Sizzle on the S5 badge though. The car looks good!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
It would look good its just an S5 replica !! Sorry but I don't get excited about people dressing us their A5's to make them look like something they're not. I'd be proud to own an A5 1.8 FSI and accept that not everyone wants or can afford/justify the V8, modify by all means but why try and make it look like an S5 ???? Sorry guys I realise most of you won't agree and this will be unpopular but its my view...;)

·
Registered
220 Posts
I would call it individual, it does not have an S5 badge on it anywhere. IMO the wheels are better than the S5. The question of affording frankly doesnt even come into it, having just Part exchanged my Range Rover Sport HST - because I thought Id be responsible for once in my life and stop killing the plane - while I start again!!

Why does it bother people so much - its my money, my car and my porogative. At the end of the day its only an S5. Ill post my R8 pictures when it arrives this coming November - unfortunately no amount of modification will make your S5 look like my R8 - but then Im not really that bothered, as long as people your happy with what you drive.

Another way to look at is I suppose is that the S5 is a glorified S-Line, beause its pretty much the same on the outside?? I would have bought one if it was avilable in the UK for sure - but there not.

You bought an S5 because you wanted one, I bought the bottom of the range paupers model 1.8T - but then I bought it for myself not as a trophy car!:mad:

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Don't be such a knob ABZY..:mad: If it doesn't bother you why have the S badges ???? And I didn't question whether or not you could afford an S5 - read it again. As for the R8 comment, what was the point of that ?????

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Here is another picture of a standard Finnish A5 with the country-standard side skirts but non-S-line everything else:

As for ABZY, I think he has removed all the number fives from the badges and it just says S, so I think that is pretty cool - not trying to fake anything, just look personal. Personally, I would've gone without a rear-badge though, but just my opinion.

A problem with the front badge is that you can not remove it entirely without leaving a very ugly hole in the grille. A blank badge with faux-grille linings would be a nice option for those with A5s that want the S5 grille without the badge...

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
haha, chill out guys! :D

Personally I dont like the side skirts, they just stick out too much and do just look like what they infact are, some random peice of plastic stuck on, same with that spoiler lol but thats just me, I may change my mind if I see them for real though.

ABZY, I thought you agreed to leave the badge off in an earlier thread you made :) does seem pointless to me but as you say if it makes you happy go for it.
Oh and you sig picture looks like an vantage for some reason, just the front end is a bit higher.
What else do you have planned for your car ?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't think we should be judging people for making their cars look like another if the reasons are right.

I like the asthetics of my A5 but I love the S5's grille and skirts too and I agree with ABZY that the 19 "Y" wheels are better than the S5's.

I can't justify the MPG you get from an S5 and don't particularly need that extra performance so opted for the A5 3.0 TDI - and if the options to upgrade the grille and skirts were available at time of order I would've opted definitely.

So my car would look like an S5, yes, but am I trying to make my car into something it's not, I don't think so.

ABZY, I'm not so sure about the S badges either, but the car looks awsome and I reckon it's for the right reasons

Would like a closer pic of them if you could tho!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Ok I expected to divide opinion especially from the A5 frats and thats the great thing about a forum. Truthfully the car looks brilliant, but Silver mirrors are an S range signature, the grille is designed to distinguish the S5 and as for the badges, well enough said. I wouldn't wear a fake Rolex, I know M3 owners in general don't like the masses of replica cars running around and as an S5 owner I think its silly to try and miss-lead people ( I can hear you denying that now). Clearly by adding the mirrors, grille and badges that IS what you're doing. Think onlookers might be a little dissapointed when they hear it start up...There is nothing wrong with the 1.8T its fast, stunning and lets face it not exactly cheap so why the need to fake it up ??? Right guys I'm away on holiday now so either this debate will dry up until the next time the issue is raised or it'll brew...but either way you can rest assured this is the last comment I'll make on it....

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
a closer pic of the cills etc would be great i think they finish off the side of the car

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Some good points there, agree on some, not all though.

First, I do think this particular car is going for the S5 look - so many S5 characteristics there and the S badges too... So maybe it was taken a bit far for my personal taste, as you feel too. But most important thing is that the owner seems pleased, so all good.

I do think in general there is nothing wrong with individualising a car and OEM parts from other models are often a really good way to do that. Silver mirror alone don't scream S5, too generic a feature (so many cars have had that mod). S5 grille is just fine given no S5 badge etc. - like there would be nothing wrong with a Caractere kit or something either.

Fake badging etc. is totally another business (just silly IMHO), adding features and bits - and pieces from here and there - nothing wrong with that.

Just my opinion of course.

I don't own A5/S5.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Clearly by adding the mirrors, grille and badges that IS what you're doing. Think onlookers might be a little dissapointed when they hear it start up...There is nothing wrong with the 1.8T its fast, stunning and lets face it not exactly cheap so why the need to fake it up ???
I think you've missed my point Blade (No disrespect!)...I could've got an S5 no problem...I made a conscious choice not to opt for the 4.2 V8 version that's all....I wanted an S5 look but with a better MPG (Performance was not my target)...So if there was an S5 3.0 TDI available I would have ordered it.

So altough I've not upgraded yet..but when I do get the grille (without the S5 badge) and put the side skirts on....can you really say I am faking????

I'd say I'm getting the exact car I want which is not available off the shelf - so to speak!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think BullDog is right in some point..

I am with same situation, I got already side cap S5 mirrors from Abzy- so I gonna fitt them on, not for pretend I got S5 - I am not; just because I really think silver mirr's with alloys are just great, just better;just nicer and whats most importand just how I like it to look we spended so much money for our cars to make them feel us better or whatever. I will say anyone who know this bussines will recon since firsth spot is it S5 or fake so why bother.... , Abzy's car looks great - so why not, I will not put S5 badges on due I aint got one but why not mirrors cabs, side skirts, and many others, comme on. About who can afford what... for me it was working simply : almost same price was for S5 but I had recalculated year mileage; mostly petrol and taxes... UK strenght taxes....taxes ... ohh... I did order car when Road tax was 300 and I am picking up car when I got to add 100 due now is 400 British Pounds, and gap between order and pickup is less than 3 months ..... maybe is time to get back to Poland.........

however; why not to mod cars, just pop up some pictures so we can enjoy it all; I would say al last in that matter it should be absolutely free..;

r!no

·
Registered
220 Posts
this is my last post on this and thanks to all those who agree, and to those who dont agree, your entitled to your own opinion. Shame some people (BLADE), have to resort to personal attacks - IMO makes you the knob! You dont even know me! So get a life!

On the badging, I want a car that is different! I would have bought the S-line for its exterior - but not available in the UK so I put on the skirts grille and mirrors (think you will find the mirrors are an S-Line fix before the "S" even came out!)

The grille on the S5 looks great, I was noway gonna put this on but take the badge off - it would leave a big hold and not look right, so I left the S part on the 5 was removed from the offset.

I paid extra for a sports version, to me the S is for sportline. Rear badge I agree - it would look as good without - i may even take it off yet!

To me be happy with your rides, do as you please dont be put off by people who dont have anything better to do than criticise - there is a big differnce between judging/ critising and putting forward ones opinion!

ENOUGHT SAID!!!!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.