Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

My S5 has now done 9k miles. I am unclear if an oil service ie needed as the handbook states that it is (oil service at 9k) but the onboard computer is telling me that it doesnt need an oil service for another 10k!!:eek::eek:

Can anyone advise on this and also should the car be services when its a year old irrespective of what the onboard computer is saying?:confused:

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Yes in the S5 you change the oil after about 10k. This doesn't have to be done by the dealer it can be done by you or by an independent garage as the 10k oil indicator can be reset in the MMI once done. Your car needs about 9 litres for the change. At about £15 a litre it will cost you about £135, I think blade got his done at the dealer for £141 all in.

This is not the same as the main 20k service (which my car is in for today after 19700 miles) as this has to be done by a dealer or an independent that can reset the service indicator.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
should the onboard computer not be telling the right time to change the oil? i will need to check my handbook to see when mine is due then

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes in the S5 you change the oil after about 10k. This doesn't have to be done by the dealer it can be done by you or by an independent garage as the 10k oil indicator can be reset in the MMI once done. Your car needs about 9 litres for the change. At about £15 a litre it will cost you about £135, I think blade got his done at the dealer for £141 all in.

This is not the same as the main 20k service (which my car is in for today after 19700 miles) as this has to be done by a dealer or an independent that can reset the service indicator.
Cheers SAJ

I am still confused that the MMI doesnt indicate an oli service is due. My old M3CS would tell when an Oil inspection was due, then service, then Oil service etc.

I called Camberley Audi and the "Blonde" on reception said that the MMI will tell you when an oil service is due and NOT to go by the handbook. As I said the MMI is saying oil service in 10k and service in 10K so going by this NO oil is due to be changed for around 20k??

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
should the onboard computer not be telling the right time to change the oil? i will need to check my handbook to see when mine is due then
Yes it does, but that doesn't mean you can't change it earlier. Regardless of what the computer says, having clean oil in the car regularly is better than having dirty oil in over long periods of time.

But i'm not saying the on board computer is wrong, following it will cause your car no issues.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats where I am confused as the handbook clearly states an oil change @ 9k

I think I will just book mine in and get it done in case it causes an issue.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Cheers SAJ

I am still confused that the MMI doesnt indicate an oli service is due. My old M3CS would tell when an Oil inspection was due, then service, then Oil service etc.

I called Camberley Audi and the "Blonde" on reception said that the MMI will tell you when an oil service is due and NOT to go by the handbook. As I said the MMI is saying oil service in 10k and service in 10K so going by this NO oil is due to be changed for around 20k??
Are you sure it hasn't been reset accidently in you MMI, perhaps a friend been playing about with it when you've not been in the car, either way from the people I know with the S5 we've all changed the oil at 10k according to the MMI and then had the service at 20k.

But as your following the MMI you won't have any warranty issues with not changing it then.

·
Registered
23 Posts
In my service book, an oil change is mandatory every 15k kms which is about 9k miles.

15k kms for oil change, 30k km (~19k miles) for servicing.

This is the same thing I ve been told by the service center...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you sure it hasn't been reset accidently in you MMI, perhaps a friend been playing about with it when you've not been in the car, either way from the people I know with the S5 we've all changed the oil at 10k according to the MMI and then had the service at 20k.

But as your following the MMI you won't have any warranty issues with not changing it then.
Yeah could be the kids messing!!

I am going to get the oil service done anyway so that closes that question. However once the car is 1 year old on 1/3/09 should a yearly service be done then, or again go by the MMI countdown?

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Yeah could be the kids messing!!

I am going to get the oil service done anyway so that closes that question. However once the car is 1 year old on 1/3/09 should a yearly service be done then, or again go by the MMI countdown?
I'd stick with the MMI on that one, just got my car back from Reading Audi, my first service cost me £450. Is this what most people have paid for the first S5 service?

They also did the recall updates (3 of them in total) and I have no lost my recent DRL vagcom changes :mad::( but I was half expecting this might happen after others have had the same experience.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd stick with the MMI on that one, just got my car back from Reading Audi, my first service cost me £450. Is this what most people have paid for the first S5 service?

They also did the recall updates (3 of them in total) and I have no lost my recent DRL vagcom changes :mad::( but I was half expecting this might happen after others have had the same experience.
I have a 2 year free servicing deal which I blagged when I got the car, and have booked in for this Friday. Confirmed with the service reception that the Oil service and any other service between mar 08 to mar 10 will be FOC!! OI t I have to take the car back to Camberley Audi, which is 35 miles away (chance for a blat) whereas Epsom Audi is on my doorstep. My Car is bog standard, but what were the recall updates you had done as I wasnt aware that there were any?

Thanks for all you help on with this SAJ

·
Registered
12 Posts
on servicing - does anyone know what you should be paying - I've had a quote for £370 which includes a pollen filter.

Anyone know where this pollen filter is and how easy to fit?

·
Registered
953 Posts
on servicing - does anyone know what you should be paying - I've had a quote for £370 which includes a pollen filter.

Is this the yearly or interim service, or another unrelated service for another reason mate?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I would recommend that the first oil service should be done at 6 months, or 5K miles, whichever comes first. Ignore the MMI on this one - it doesn't seem to know the difference between the recommended interval for your first change and subsequent ones.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I would recommend that the first oil service should be done at 6 months, or 5K miles, whichever comes first. Ignore the MMI on this one - it doesn't seem to know the difference between the recommended interval for your first change and subsequent ones.
MMI in UK shows first oil service at around 9000 and full service at 18000 (on variable subject to slight differences). There was an issue where many of us had the first oil service indicator showing at 18000 as well as the main service but that was an error.

I got APS to do my 18000 service (and that included the filters). £219

·
Registered
30 Posts
First service cost me £290 - first quote was around £400 so played the dealers off against each other until Northampton Audi offered me £290 for the service and they matched Internet prices for four new tyres :thumbsup:

·
Registered
953 Posts
First service cost me £290 - first quote was around £400 so played the dealers off against each other until Northampton Audi offered me £290 for the service and they matched Internet prices for four new tyres :thumbsup:
Do you know if these dealers are all within the same group?

The reason I ask is that the four closest dealers to me are all in the same group so it might be more difficult to play them off against each other.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I made sure these were all different groups, I'm lucky in that I work away from home so it gives me a wider range of dealers I can call - Bath were most expensive, Milton Keynes second and Northampton cheapest.

Same group dealers should still compete against each other though as they have their own targets to meet, you may not as much of a discount though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've just had my first service done at Milton Keynes. Filters, oil and brake fluid changed. Including an 'executive valet' and the use of a A3 2.0D for the day the bottom line was a shade under £400....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts