Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4 days...not counting obv! lol

What are the pros and cons of the satnav.....am I gonna regret asking...

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Jack,
Seeing as this is my first car with Satnav, and I've never had a Tomtom or similar, I'm maybe not in the best position to comment, but...

Pros:
  • Big screen, very clear - you don't get 7" widescreen with any Tomtom etc.
  • Extra direction information in the DIS with total distance to go and distance to go until next turn (again, not linked for any Tomtom)
  • AMI - not available without the Satnav+
  • Very fast at re-calculating your route should you miss a turning (indeed, it's very quick to calculate any journey from scratch)
  • Not attractive to the opportunist "smash and grab" car thief (although my Road Angel kind of brings this risk back again)

Cons:
  • You can't put in full UK postcodes - only up to first digit of the second part.
  • No speed camera information (at present, but I'm watching the thread about this...) and my Road Angel covers this for now.
  • Damn, but it's expensive! But then seeing as you're asking the question, I guess you've just bitten the bullet and coughed up the readies! It is I suppose comparable to other OEM prices from other manufacturers (BMW/MB etc), but still that's a lot of money for a system that you can get for less than a quarter of the cost from Tomtom...
  • Expensive to upgrade with new DVD from Audi.

I'm sure others will have their opinions too, so there may well be some things I haven't thought of as yet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the link , helpful....

Ive ordered B&O and satnav , can I use a usb stick/ipod to listen to my toons? what's the 'cable in the glovebox' thing?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Firstly hi Jack...I see your in Epsom. Me too...well in between Cheam and Epsom, but not quite Ewell. My S5 is coming Mid to end of April so cant wait. The cable in the glovebox...I suspect maybe the Ipod prep. So to answer your question you can use an Ipod with it. You would need an ipod cable from Audi though. If its Epsom Audi you bought it from you could try and blag it off them..I have :) Maybe if im lucky enough we could meet up and you can take me for a proper spin...really interested into hearing the engine roaring :)

·
Registered
1,696 Posts

Ive ordered B&O and satnav , can I use a usb stick/ipod to listen to my toons? what's the 'cable in the glovebox' thing?
Jack,

If you didn't order the AMI with your Satnav then I'm afraid you can't use your iPod - you'll have to go for an after market system like the Dension Gateway 500, which I've read somewhere is available now for the A5/S5. Costs somewhere around the £400-£500 mark I think, but you can check out their website (www.dension.com) Also no USB with Satnav (it also uses AMI) but you get the 6CD changer in the dash as standard and MMI controls on the centre console, so also lose the SD Card slot.

·
Registered
536 Posts
The only real negative part of the Audi NAV compared to the NAV from other makes is that, in the US at least, the Audi NAV doesn not display traffic jams, and automatically re-route your route for you to bypass the traffic (unlike BMWs, Acuras, ect.).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fekkin ill-informed dealers doh! So I dont have AMI just the satnav and B&O , so I guess Im screwed, bollocks! **** you never know lol

·
Registered
55 Posts
All is not totally lost Jack

call this crowd http://www.satnavsystems.com/default.asp

As they retro fit Audi's with all kinds of kit and might be able to offer a solution

I'll keep my eyes peeled for you and MickyT S5 in your cars :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
...great call bob! Epsom's fast becoming the S5 capital of Surrey lol

·
Registered
55 Posts
Pleasure -
Must be the outstanding job those boys at Drift Bridge are doing - LOL ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah right......mines coming from Walton

·
Registered
298 Posts
The only real negative part of the Audi NAV compared to the NAV from other makes is that, in the US at least, the Audi NAV doesn not display traffic jams, and automatically re-route your route for you to bypass the traffic (unlike BMWs, Acuras, ect.).
That is a bit of a bummer. This is one thing that my current and past Navs have not had and that I was really hoping to get. Oh well, guess I will keep listeing to the traffic reports on the radio.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
yeah, but if you get the B&O audio the traffic reports sound awesome..
Traffic reports revert back to standard audio when playing. I havent seen a way to improve the sound quality on those. I assumed its because it records the traffic alerts and wants to keep the file size small.

However, if you are on the same radio station as the traffic report, it does highlight the difference in sound quality when it switches audio between the standard default and your personal settings.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So , anyone know how to disable the traffic reports?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts

Hey jack, I see another you are an Epsom Boy!!

Thats 2 of us at least now!!

Hopefully see you on the road mate

1 - 20 of 22 Posts