Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Thought I’d log my next project car as it helps me keep track.

To give the background, I just bought a 15 plate black S5 black edition. Most important option to me was ACC closely followed by sport diff, dynamic suspension and advanced key.

Not easy to find this lot but I found all but one - ACC - in the car I bought. Not got it yet but hoping to collect this week. Also has the sunroof which I like on an otherwise all black car.

As it happened, in buying this car, I narrowly missed out on a similar spec car (dynamic steering not suspension) which put ideas in my head re adaptive headlights. It also have a tv tuner and garage door opener from my previous car, which can be moved across.

Thanks to a friend and former poster who has now moved on to more exotic platforms I had the opportunity to buy a job lot of retrofit bits that he removed from his RS5 and so the modding begins.

Adaptive cruise control
Adaptive headlights - black chromed with morimoto ballasts, D1S bulbs and dynamic indicators
TV tuner
Rear sunblind
RS5 door handles
High beam assist
Active lane assist
Hill hold assist
Side Assist
Garage door opener

When this lot is finished, the only option I'll be missing is dynamic steering - which I'm told is not good at all - so I'm not fussed there.

Separately I’m also fitting the car play set up and an Apple TV on the tv tuner input.

After that, the performance mods start via my old friends at Litchfield who did all my GT-R tuning.

Will post pics once I figure how to host them now that google photos has changed its ways.

Bit of a test here. Can someone post a reply if they can see the pic below of my old car?

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
Received, loud and clear...!

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's weird. So no issues whatsoever in viewing from google photos!

Maybe it was an issue with the other forum.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
Interestingly, I can’t see it on my phone using Tapatalk, I can only see it on my windows pc using chrome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That’s even more weird.

I can’t see it using safari on my phone.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, let’s assume it’s not reliable then.

I’ll find another solution for pictures.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very excited about car but getting edgy that I haven’t managed to confirm when I’m picking it up.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Collected car on Tuesday night. I didn’t bring it round, I took it straight to a friend and old forum contributor to do a chunk of the retrofitting whilst I’m away on holiday.

Seller sent me some images of when it was first collected by him.

I’ve added these to a new google photo album along with newer ones of mine and now some videos showing first mods.

I bought a two tone grey and black interior from eBay as I find the black black black a little dark, even with the sunroof shade open.

I’m hoping this will be delivered today as the retrofitting requires nearly all the interior to come out so it makes little sense to put the original back in again.

So far, the rear bumper has been off to fit the radar sensors for the side assist. There’s a video of this in the link.

Whilst at the back of the car, he tv module was fitted along with the aerials and for good measure the very rare electric sun-blind.

The garage door module has gone in under the bonnet and the steering wheel removed to fit new column stalks for side lane assist and adaptive cruise. My RS5 steering wheel has also been retrofitted.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
4,553 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ben is putting together before and after videos in one link for every single retrofit.

Will post that when I can.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
When this lot is finished, the only option I'll be missing is dynamic steering - which I'm told is not good at all - so I'm not fussed there.
It is good on the B8.5. If I want light steering (e.g. recently in a multi-storey car park with horrible spiral ramps with high kerbs) I switch to ADS comfort and get a high ratio. Then for "fun" driving in ADS dynamic the ratio is low and the steering becomes firm and controlled with better feedback.

Nevertheless of the 3 ADS options I have found dynamic steering to be the least beneficial and I certainly wouldn't believe it value for money/effort to retrofit.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That’s very helpful feedback. Thank you.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
194mm pulley and fluid damper ordered.

Eventuri intake purchased too.

No intention of fitting these for the foreseeable.

Retrofits really coming along, will post the before and afters asap.

Pioneer sub fitted too.

JL 12 going in too.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looking at fitting LED downlighters in the cupholder area and the centre glovebox.

Right now am also looking into retrofitting dynamic steering as it's the only significant option that I'm missing and I'd really like to complete the trio in the ADS set up.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Yes, plenty.

Dynamic steering gearbox is definitely in the steering column. I have the correct part number for this.

There’s also a control box but I’m yet to find out of this differs from the dynamic suspension and sports diff control that I already have.

Apparently changing the steering column itself is relatively easy and it comes out through the car.

In my case the additional wiring and at least all the other modules are already there.

In relation to my car so far, o now have the correct windscreen for side assist with camera and wiring installed.

The car will now calibrated for this option and at the same time will get the ACC that is now all in calibrated too.

Adaptive headlights are in and working - they also have morimoto ballasts which is a nice upgrade. Garage door opener is in and working. All the wiring for the above is completely factory and within the oem Los.

FIS control and car play modules are in. Just considering moving my MMI with google from my A5 over to the S5. That will need component protection removal if we do.

TV module in and working with correct antennas now installed, aux input connected for Apple TV install - got it so why not?

Bought a two tone interior too so will bring that up to perfect condition before installing.

On a separate note, changed drive pulley order to 195mm - 3.08 drive ratio.

Next thing I’m looking in to is the chargecooler radiator but am not hurrying to fit the performance mods.

I also changed my mind on the pioneer sub believing that I'd be better off with that space acting as a port for the fitted sub in the boot. I'm not into booming car audio, but I like the music to feel engaging as I listen to music in the car all the time. That said the stock B&O system is one of my all time favourite OEM car set ups.

I've been reading extensively about upgrades on the Audizine forum in relation to S4s, and so have ordered the Audioson Voce 3.0 drop in speakers for the dash board and thought I would also go for the Audison Prima 8s for the front doors, all running from the stock amp. Costs me a little volume but brings a lot of punchy bass and clarity to the front. Apparently the 3.0" speakers in the dash totally transform the sound so for £100, I thought why not?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts