Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know these are still new cars at the moment with waiting lists but was wondering where do you see the value of used S5's in say 3 years time bearing in mind the current fuel situation. Will they plummate in value due to their big engines? Will the possible new v6 supercharged version make the v8 models undesirable?
Speculate please....

·
Registered
157 Posts
Not speculation; i regret it is obvious that the bigger engine > 225 co2 engine cars will suffer more especially as they get older, assuming that the punitive road tax etc is continued as suggested. Someone on this site has already been offered "silly" money by a garage for an S5 (from memory, £29,000) which is upsetting. However not many cars are investments so just enjoy it if you can afford it......

·
Registered
34 Posts
Not speculation; i regret it is obvious that the bigger engine > 225 co2 engine cars will suffer more especially as they get older, assuming that the punitive road tax etc is continued as suggested. Someone on this site has already been offered "silly" money by a garage for an S5 (from memory, £29,000) which is upsetting. However not many cars are investments so just enjoy it if you can afford it......
Yeah, that was me... :(

This certainly isn't specific to the S5 - as pointed out earlier, any car with >225g/km of CO2 is being hit hard, and I've seen this on several used car websites, across different makes.

With current fuel and road tax prices, I suspect there may be a degree of 'panic selling' going on, as people rush in to their diesel superminis, pushing prices down! Having spoken to some Audi dealers, I know several people have cancelled their orders for new S5s, so there'll be some more floating around.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Audi Resale Values in the US

I know these are still new cars at the moment with waiting lists but was wondering where do you see the value of used S5's in say 3 years time bearing in mind the current fuel situation. Will they plummate in value due to their big engines? Will the possible new v6 supercharged version make the v8 models undesirable?
Speculate please....
While I can't speak for the international marketplace, I can tell you that Audi's have a terrible resale history in the US.

Audis do not hold their value anywhere near as well as BMW, or even Mercedes or Lexus.

That's part of my dilemma in the S5.

The car will not hold it's value as Audi starts making more and more to meet demand.

:(

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
This could go a number of ways

1 - this could be an oil crisis which have happened before and in 2 or 3 years time we could see stabilised prices again (although not lower than now)

2 - the introduction of the V6 may make the small numbers of V8s desirable. Or the V6 may end up more desirable and hit the V8 harder.

3 - there are always those that can afford the fuel and will buy a good car regardless of cost. The current issues seem to be pushing more at the cheaper to lower mid end to more fuel efficiency (although going to diesel seems false economy for most). The mid to top end still seem to have an appetite for quality and power.

4 - Audi's resale values are very good and if the V8 does get hit a bit harder due to fuel, this will be offset somewhat by the brand.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Just to add I thought I'd find out the trade in value of my S5 from two dealers one in Scotland and one in England both quoted £35,500 which means the S5 has taken a big hit. I know my car is only 5 months old so biggest depreciation is in the first year, so I don't expect it to be worth much less than this after 12 months, but still a massive hit considering the car was £46k.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Thats not a big hit. My wife's peugeot has dropped from £21k to £11k trade in after 9 months. Thats a big hit.

Year 1 takes the biggest hit as you say and it looks like 50% over 3 years would be likely on your figures SAJ.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Just to add I thought I'd find out the trade in value of my S5 from two dealers one in Scotland and one in England both quoted £35,500 which means the S5 has taken a big hit. I know my car is only 5 months old so biggest depreciation is in the first year, so I don't expect it to be worth much less than this after 12 months, but still a massive hit considering the car was £46k.
'
Remember, that trade price, NOT sale price... if they're offering you £35k, they will be selling at £39,950

Best guage is to look at used car prices on Audi, ebay and Auto-trader... most are around the 40-43k mark for an S5 6 months old with 4,500 miles on the clock.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Did no one see Clarkson show that the new M3 V8 was more economical than a prius.

V8's will therefore become more desirable.

I wish people would stop moaning and making such a big deal about fuel prices, just deal with it. (Sorry in one of those moods)

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Who was talking about fuel...thought this was about S5 residuals.
heh i suppose your right SAJ, sorry, its just people mentioning the fuel price situation effecting the value of the car.

I was in a grumpy mood this morning as i was out the office yesterday and now have a ton of stuff to sort out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts