Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

S5 rear diffuser.

11K views 58 replies 12 participants last post by  HTB 
#1 ·
I think the stock S5 rear diffuser looks a bit plain and boring and am thinking of getting a carbon fibre item with the fins to get a more sporty look.
In the meantime I've also considered wrapping the stock one with carbon fibre.
Has anyone else done this? Would it get too hot and just melt/peel off or would it simply look cheap and tacky?
If anyone's done this and has a pic it'd be good to see the result.
Also suggestions of a decent carbon fibre diffuser that doesn't cost the earth anyone?

#35 ·
Nice! Yeah, I like the carbon fibre stuff, but unless you go the whole hog and have other stuff, like front splitter, then it can look a bit out of place. Black is more neutral and fits with most colour schemes.

They do come off quite easy!
3 torx screws underneath that fix into the spare wheel well.
Small Philips screw in each side in line with the outboard tail pipe. Get at it through the tail pipe cut out. Stick your head under the tail pipes and look towards the side of the bumper. Prob need a torch as they are difficult to spot, especially if covered in muck.
I used a trim removal kit, but a big plastic spatula type tool will help ease the clips across the top of the diffuser. I wedged it on one corner between bumper and diffuser and pulled towards the back of the car. Once started, it gets easier. Used the big spatual trim tool along the join to press the diffuser clips downwards and pull.

Good luck.

#39 ·
Dave it does look good. The diffuser sits slightly further forward around the tailpipes making them more obvious which I like.
The garage is still in progress mate. Firstly paint then flooring then some wall art. I'm currently sorting out the other side which is workshop/motorbike garage.
Then I can start thinking about a lift although I'm 90 percent sure it's going to be quick jacks.

#40 ·
Oh yeah the main part of it looks like it sits 10mm or so further in. Suppose this gives it depth! This is lacking on the standard diffuser and is just too plain. I did consider just painting mine and maybe painting the lip strip in a different colour to make it stand out and give some depth or oomph, but as you know me, I like to fettle and DIY, so hopefully my improve custom diffuser turns out well! Some of the cheap ones from Poland or China can look a bit cheap and have small waves in the moldings on the flat parts, they're not smooth and straight. Making them look even more cheap.

#41 ·
The finish is really good on this and I was pleasantly surprised that it just fits and all the holes lined up and I didn't have to cut or drill or trim anything. That is how ze Germans do things.
I'm looking forward to seeing your next invention! ?

#42 ·
Yeah Reiger are a decent brand, so it should be a straight simple swap! :)

Yeah want to get in the garage and get on with it as the aluminium is coming this weekend for me to make the strut bars too!! But unluckily or luckily I can work from home so still have my day job to do! :)

Do you fancy a strut bar!?

#44 ·
It's not on the edge feel, it's more feedback. I have my prototype on at the moment, although obviously I've not been able to get out to test it properly, the thing I did notice was a 'heavier' steering feel and a bit more direct feedback which adds to the driving experience rather than outright handling. It won't turn it into a BM for handling, but does add to a weighty feel. I'll be able to tell more from more drives, but only been out once with it fitted. That's the other thing, it is hidden under the scuttle cover with just the ends visible. It's more of a sleeper steering feedback type of mod.

It will be very similar to the CR-15 bar - Canyon Run CR-15 Front Strut Tower Brace, LHD (B8 B8.5 A4/S4/A5/S5/RS5)

Audi used to fit them to the older Audis like S2 - freont strut brace - S2Forum - The Audi S2 Community

#48 ·
It is mainly for looks based on the look of proper diffusers used on supercars/race cars. Normally a flat smooth underbody, that tapers up with fins/diffusers at the rear to channel and control air underneath of the car, creating more stability at speed, maybe even some down force. But on ours, the air is too disruptive to be of any benefit, even with the plastic smooth panels underneath.

#53 ·
I understand what you mean now and no mine doesn't have the lips to lock the tabs on like on the stock diffuser but it honestly doesn't need them it's still very secure and doesn't move.
I think Audi over engineered theirs as I reckon you could mount a towing hitch to the original diffuser.

#55 ·
That certainly looks like it. Is yours a Rieger or a copy?
Yeah I was concerned about it like you but it's actually quite a tight fit and once screwed in through the normal holes it doesn't move anywhere. I've done a few miles since fitting with no issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.