Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

S5 rear diffuser.

11K views 58 replies 12 participants last post by  HTB 
#1 ·
I think the stock S5 rear diffuser looks a bit plain and boring and am thinking of getting a carbon fibre item with the fins to get a more sporty look.
In the meantime I've also considered wrapping the stock one with carbon fibre.
Has anyone else done this? Would it get too hot and just melt/peel off or would it simply look cheap and tacky?
If anyone's done this and has a pic it'd be good to see the result.
Also suggestions of a decent carbon fibre diffuser that doesn't cost the earth anyone?

#2 ·
I got some Matt black plasti dip paint - looks 100x better!

The unfinished grey oem look was awful

Trying to find some pics

Cost? £10 and 30 mins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MrFergus
#5 ·
I did have a before and after photo so you could really see the difference

#8 ·
I painted mine also with matt black bumper paint. Looks great. The piece is easy to remove. I believe it was 6 screws or so. There were two screws I missed an tore a couple of mounting tabs pulling it off but no big deal. They are hidden right next to the outboard exhaust tips. The aluminum trim strip is also held on by screws once you have the valence off.

#7 ·
Why don't the later S5s have that aluminium strip!?

Mine is standard and looks like there is something missing where the strip is!!!

I agree with you Joe, it does look a bit plain Jane the OEM diffuser!!

I too like the aero fin type diffusers. You can get a FRP one from Poland and paint it for £150.

#12 ·
Why don't the later S5s have that aluminium strip!?
I too like the aero fin type diffusers. You can get a FRP one from Poland and paint it for £150.
Yes you can Dave, but you will need a body shop to make them fit as they are miles off the std fitment.
I sent 1 back to Poland last week after having the exhaust done on a 3.0 tdi. It stated it fitted a B8.5 but would have had to pinned on the inside of the bumper to make it fit.

#14 ·
Hi Joe, it is not a direct fit and the guys taped it to the bumper so they could get the exhaust alignment correct on the car.
I will probably spray the current one on my S5 gloss black like my oe exhaust tips I had originally,and leave the platinum strip silver like Andy's

#16 ·
Saw murdered s5 b8 yesterday with the fin diffuser yesterday and I would strongly advise against it unless you're going to do some heavy modding around the whole body cause what I saw was far far from impressive, it was just sticking out like a sore thumb... the stock does look plain, but the fin one just makes it look disproportionate as if someone would just use some gaffer tape to stick it on if you know what I mean ?

#17 ·
Finally got a std B8.5 rear valance after TPS sent 2 B8 ones after me quoting my S5 registration.
No platinum strip yet as they are on back order so will be a breakers hopefully. The silver dont look to bad on a grey car,but looks naff on a black car with black tail pipes imho.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Audi Mid-size car

#18 ·
Maybe paint the strip black then, but would be a shame to paint over the aluminium!?

So don't the B8.5 valances come with the plain plastic strip like on our S5s? I thought the aluminium strip was B8 only?

#19 · (Edited)
Going to go for something like what Andy has on his cabriolet as I to have cerakote black tailpipes on the S5, black valance silver strip
Dave as far as I am aware all S5 's whether they are facelift or pre facelift V6 or V8 have the platinum (grey)strip.
When you go for quad tailpipes on a A5 you need the S5 valance,depending on pre facelift or facelift.
Audi do not list an aluminium part for the S5 bumper it is the same part for facelift or pre facelift and it is plastic. The only other difference is our valances are longer and have the part number ending in H.Pre facelift end in B and are different design
The grey A5 only has the valance on,and is awaiting the strip to complete it,then it will look exactly like our cars.

#20 ·
Do you think the aluminium strip was an option? Or is it because mine is a black edition so no aluminium trim around windows, front grille etc?

When I was looking for my S5 to buy, I don't remember seeing the aluminium strip on the later cars? I was looking at 2013/14 onwards.

#23 ·
Do you mean the aluminium bar across the OEM rear diffuser?

#24 ·
Yep Andy!
From what I have seen, the aluminium strip was only on pre-face lift models!?

Just trying to get an idea on when or why the strip wasn't fitted to all S5s, regardless of year. :)

#27 ·
Don’t understand that?.... I’ve just looked on eBay and first 2 S5 2014 and a 2015 have the strip. It was on all S5’s as far as I’m aware - you must go to to specsavers mate! Haha

#26 ·
There’s about 5 screws. Takes literally 5 mins - if it’s first time being removed, it takes a few wiggles and pulls. Don’t be too aggressive - it will come off

#28 ·
...on closer scrutinisation, perhaps the convertibles were aluminium? Seen 2 sport backs and it was like a Matt grey colour, to match the rest of diffuser... but the strip is still there, just not aluminium.

Ps: the strip is easy to remove from the diffuser too - about 5 screws

#30 ·
Yep, all S5s have the strip, just in normal plastic matching the diffuser with a groove down the middle, but the pre-facelifts and V8s etc have an aluminium blade type strip. :)

Thanks, good to know it comes off easily. :)

Reactions: Andy Dutch
#31 ·
Lol spec savers eat yer heart out guys.......

#34 ·
Yes Dave it's exactly like that only in gloss black as I didn't want to go down the carbon fibre route.
It looks really good in the hand just hope it fits and looks good on the car.
Self isolating in the garage for the afternoon sounds like a plan. (for safety's sake obviously) ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.