Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I wouldn't have thought they would make much difference either!

What is the sound? From reading about test pipes and non-res downpipes, I've heard it's quite raspy/ricey?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Cruising around on a light throttle you can't even tell any difference from stock, put your foot down and it's a similar tone to stock maybe slightly deeper but much much louder.
It's very loud and shouty between 2.5k and 3.5k almost like a clappy noise similar to a straight piped rs6 (if that makes sense) the kind of noise to really piss people off lol.
The gear change farts are also much more pronounced.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yeah, mine went louder with the X-pipe. I think I know what you mean, like a resonating parpy bwaaah noise? Mine does this until the exhaust is hot, then its a deeper howly noise, so is actually slightly quieter! Then I can hear the SC whine more. So it sounds it's best when hot, but you have to do some good accelerating to get it properly hot, which in the commute is difficult to do. :)

It is quite good as you say pootling about or cruising you get just a hum from the exhaust, just enough to let you know it has potential, then press on and it goes a bit Bjork 'big riyat' :)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hahaha yeah the parpy bwaaah noise exactly. It does sound better when hot. Personally I'm not keen on the sound on wide open throttle at2.5k to 3.5k (windows down) but overall I'm really happy with the result. And at 270 quid for 2 brand new custom made downpipes including fitting I think that's great value.
And the main thing is no more rattle.
2 birds 1 stone. 🤗

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Yep, that is a decent price. I paid £280 for the X-pipe but fitted myself, which I guess is easier than fitting the downpipes. I've heard they can be a pain especially the flange on to the cats. :)

BUT, my X-pipe sounded like a bee in a tin can when new. It mellowed out with miles with the carbon build up on the inside. :) Did think about taking it off!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Nice one smokey joe ,that a great result .when I was looking at downpipes I only saw the remus ones and they were £350 for a pair,then you had to fit them. At the time it made sense to opt for the miltek complete system at £950.
Glad your happy with it and like I said previously probably no need for an x pipe now if it sounds how you want it.. (y)

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Nice one smokey joe ,that a great result .when I was looking at downpipes I only saw the remus ones and they were £350 for a pair,then you had to fit them. At the time it made sense to opt for the miltek complete system at £950.
Glad your happy with it and like I said previously probably no need for an x pipe now if it sounds how you want it.. (y)
£950 for a full system, that is good, even tempting! :)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Yeah cheers Ade. It's probably nowhere close to the sound of your milltek but the main reason I changed just the downpipes was to kill the horrible rattle, it's just a bonus I got some more noise.
Out of curiosity where did you find the milltek at that price? I've only seen them for like £1600 plus.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Smokey I seem to be quite lucky when it comes to buying parts for my car. When the catalytic converter went I was searching ebay within the hour looking for downpipes. That same evening a guy had listed a S4 & S5 miltek system system both brand new and un boxed. He wanted £1100 so I made an offer. The guy was in Norwich but had to go to Derby the next day so he dropped the 2 boxes off at mine at 10.30 the next morning.
It was £350 for 2 remus downpipes or an extra £600 for a miltek full system - no brainer imho

21 - 29 of 29 Posts