Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Chaps, as it was a nice sunny day, dusted off the Racelogic Performance box and planned on doing a few sprints on a quiet business park near the house.

As it turned out, life got in the way and I only got round to it much later, on the way to collect our fish and chip supper...

Delighted though - almost matched Audi's claimed 0-60 time in my first run - the other three blasts I had were all slower as I tried to get clever with the clutch and revs equation, to no avail. I was extremely surprised - thought I'd I'd be inhabiting the high-fives/low-sixes until I got that optimum balance of conditions and technique, but instead, straight in there! I must be a driving God.

Weather's crap tomorrow so won't get any more practice in, but certainly looks like a genuine sub-5 is within reach. Certainly the Passport G-timer (accelerometer-based rather than GPS), which I'd hooked-up alongside the Racelogic for comparison purposes, was telling me that my best was a 4.82 - I wish it that was true!

(Edit - oh, and forgot to switch-off ESP as well, so probably some more gains there......)

--------------- Best results ---------------
Time 17:59 Date 24/01/2009
Speed(mph) Time(s)
0-60 05.1
0-100 ----
30-50 02.1
50-70 03.2
0-100-0 ----

·
Registered
186 Posts
Can you please do 0-100mph next time? 5.1 0-60 is a great time.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know Swedie, really pleased and quite astonished. I'm putting it down to beginner's luck and probably won't get near it again!

Re. 0-100, I'll try but I'd have to find somewhere else - looking at the stats just now, I was braking from about 75-80 due to roundabouts/sharp bends. I'll have a think about where I could do a 0-100. In the past, I've found that the hard-shoulder of the motorway can be quite a useful starting point......;)

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Seems a bit slower than Audi quote for S5. The brochure I am looking at says 0-100kph (62mph) in 5.1 seconds... if the acceleration to 60 is linear should be 4.93548 seconds....perhaps there is some added weight?.....

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
....perhaps there is some added weight?
Yeah, it's probably from all those aftermarket mods. He should have just left the car stock, don't ya think? ;)

·
Registered
307 Posts
thats pretty slow considering your peformance mods

·
Registered
1,251 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Seems a bit slower than Audi quote for S5. The brochure I am looking at says 0-100kph (62mph) in 5.1 seconds... if the acceleration to 60 is linear should be 4.93548 seconds....perhaps there is some added weight?.....
Look at you, you little mathematician! Well spotted RG - that's why I wrote 'almost' - do try to pay attention now, there's a good chap! See below.

thats pretty slow considering your peformance mods
LOL, less that two tenths off the manufacturer's quoted number is hardly what I'd call 'pretty slow' Jon. You may or may not know that matching published performance stats is usually a difficult thing to achieve - they are recorded in optimum circumstances under controlled conditions, with no need for any element of mechanical sympathy. Plus, launching a car most effectively from the line takes practice, as you learn how many revs to dial in, how and when to feed in the clutch, etc. To come close to matching quoted figures in such an impromptu test session again, proves that I am a God behind the wheel, innately attuned to the technology, man and machine combined in seamless union.

I considered how the mods I've made could bring about improvements in the 0-60 time Jon and here's my thoughts:
  • Exhaust: - 0.01 seconds (not really designed to be a 'performance' mod with no guaranteed power gains - although a marginal increase is to be expected, maybe 5-6 bhp, neglible impact in a short sprint.)
  • Air filter: -0.001 seconds (1-2 bhp, max)
  • Spacers: +/-0.0 seconds
  • Coilovers: +/-0.0 seconds (perhaps arguable - could prevent squat and increase traction - but probably not by much)
  • Sportec pedals: -0.0001 seconds (being considerably lighter than the stock items)
  • 'S5' logoed interior mats: +0000.1 seconds (they're a bit denser/heavier than the stock ones)
  • Audi side decals: -0.00001 seconds (and they make it look faster!)
  • Re-map - I may be wrong but I think the only of my mods which could really have any sort of bearing on the 0-60 dash is the re-map which, as has been repeatedly discussed on the forum, is more aimed at increasing mid-range flexibility, linear power delivery across the range and torque, rather than dramatically increasing power - but for the sake of argument, let's guess at +20bhp over whatever stock was.....
Interestingly, I'm having the car dyno'ed on Weds evening (at Surrey Rolling Road) so we'll gain a benchmark which should put the acceleration figures into some context.

Anyway, weather looks like it's going to improve this afternoon so if it does, I may pop out again later and hone my technique (minus traction control this time!) Looking forward to my first sub-5 and, come April 5th, the proff that I possess the fastest of any A5 variant in the UK..... Bring it on!

(Oh, and Ale, no sorry, I can't promise a 0-200.........):p

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
3% slower?

I have spotted the almost....:D

5.1 to 60 is actually over 3% slower than standard spec claims and I was serious about the possible extra weight as initial acceleration can be adversly affected.. Seems others have latched on the the possibility that it may be slower due to the mods which I of course never mentioned!!:cool:
Cheers

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
RG, you're missing the point again. If you read my follow-up post, you'll learn that performance testing, even with a high-tech GPS measurement device, is not an absolute science (although it is much more so than dyno-testing!!!). There are many variables that will affect the result other than weight, so probably best not to get obsessed about that particular measure? I recorded a worst run of 5.6 seconds - doesn't mean that the car suddenly decided to weigh 100Kgs more, merely that I didn't get the best get-away and /or the smoothest gearchange. Are you following this?

If I'd performed 20 runs, each one was within a tenth or so of the other and they were all consistently off Audi's claimed time, then you could start to consider whether the car is down on power, etc. But after four runs with a half second spread of times? And what if on my next run, I were to post a 4.8? Would you be cautioning me to re-trace my route on foot as clearly, something must have fallen off the car? Are you with me now?

Anyway, what is this 'extra weight' you keep referring to? Is you sayin dat I is fat?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Cracking info and report Ess - I can't understand the stick you've had for being "slow" - If anyone out there actually thinks it's easy to match or beat the manufacturers claimed times then they need to be applying for a test drivers job - Audi probably give an 8 stone full time test driver days to set a time, as it's so important to the marketing of the car.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Ess5ive,
0-200 was meant in KPH, which is 0-120MPH, but 0-100 is enough. :)

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Nice one Ess... although I've timed less than 5 seconds already, so you've some work to do! ;) Keep practicing.

Bring on Santa Pod!

BTW... your biggest weight addition, would be a tank full of petrol and that extra thick layer of polished primer your car has!

:D

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
RG, you're missing the point again.
Anyway, what is this 'extra weight' you keep referring to? Is you sayin dat I is fat?
No I'm not missing the point... and your weight is of no interest to me!

Different models of the same car will always vary in power output weight etc.. JenBM is getting 15%+ extra from her standard 3.0Tdi for free!!

My point about the weight was that I believe Audi (et al) do their performance runs with a particular weight on board. You might have had (delete as appropriate)

1. A full tank of fuel
2. 2 bags of spuds in the boot
3. 3 big passengers
etc etc

My point is that +/- 5% is probably not enough to get me (and probably many others) very excited and can be more than taken up by weather/road conditions and driver skill etc etc.

I wasn't commenting about the extra weight of non Audi parts but as it has been mentioned wonder if there is a difference?:confused:

When you hit 4.0 seconds with improved handling and economy I will be really interested.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nice one Ess... although I've timed less than 5 seconds already, so you've some work to do!
Oh yeah, Billy Big Potatoes? What precisely? When? How? Proof?

See? Got ya now! Staring at the speedo and saying 'one-and-two-and-three-and......' doesn't qualify as validated performace stats Ian me old mate!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
BTW... your biggest weight addition, would be a tank full of petrol and that extra thick layer of polished primer your car has!
Dont forget the stickers...... ;)

1 - 20 of 75 Posts