Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
If you had an S5 would you trade in for a Nissan GTR?
Before I got my exhaust I would have said yes in a flash, but now I wouldn't...although the GT-R is an amazing car, the sound that the car makes is very important to me. It's what makes the thought of the cars poor mpg just disappear....oh and i need the back seats for obvious reasons :D:p;)

I haven't seen the car in the flesh yet, but im going to the london motorshow tomorrow so i'll get to check it out properly then.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I like the aggressiveness of the GT-R, I ordered one over a week ago now, S5 is 100times better looking though. In an ideal world i'd have them both, A5 1.8 will have to make do, not that i am complaining :D.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Dont think you can compare these two:confused::confused:

ones £55k and has 130 plus more hp is great but if your 100% driver it may feel like its driving you some say thats good? bad? let you decide
basically i feel its in a different league,maybe im wrong :confused:

i have a s5 love it great car, if i could have waited for gtr i would!!!!!:rolleyes:
also small amount of money to stump up would have caused probs

·
Registered
384 Posts
Audi has more class than Nissan...

It's like comparing a Benz to a Corvette ZR1.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Further Explanation

I know it's like comparing apples to oranges (or like a Benz to a Z06!) but this is the reality of the situation:

I have a gorgeous S5. Daily driver. Lucky to get my hands on it and it's pretty special. Nissan dealer just sent me a message saying I am "high priority" for a GT-R, which I did NOT expect to happen (I put my name on a no-money down list before getting the S5).

Clear as mud?!

·
Registered
463 Posts
I wouldn't. Like robb said, in the perfect world you would have them both. For me the GT-R would be great to go to a track, and drive occasionally. Now if you'll drive it daily instead of an S5 I wouldn't do it. I't's just my personal preference. I rather have the style and the better interior.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I sold my spot for the GTR to a lucky chap in the East Bay, California...made a pretty penny and never looked back.

It is an awesome track/race car, but frankly, it looks like ass in my opinion. So, if tracking/racing are goals you are trying to meet, trading in an S5 for a GTR makes total sense. If you're looking for a beautiful cruiser/tourer, which to this day, still turns heads then the S5 is hands down the best one out there.

Pricing isn't comparable either...the GTR I spec'd and put a deposit on totaled out to 78Kish

·
Registered
536 Posts
Even if I wouldn't be allowed to sell the GTR (and because when I calculated it, a monthly payment for a GTR is only 30 bucks more a month), I would def get a GTR. I have been looking all over for the last week for one, because I thought I would never get my S5, but then I realized that finding a GTR anywhere near MSRP is impossible, plus my Audi dealer called me yesterday to tell me that my S5 will be coming in sept. So I just thought, hell with trying to get a GTR, I will be more than happy with an S5, and I should feel very lucky to be able to get one (which I do), instead of disappointed that I couldn't get a GTR.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
(I've edited this post to provide the correct information)

In Canada the rule is that the manufacturer cannot impose a floor on the selling price on its dealers, although it can impose a ceiling to prevent gouging. There isn't actually an anti-gouging law in Canada, although there are rules against tied selling etc.

My S5 came in at just over $70K before tax and the MSRP on the GT-R is CDN$81,900.

·
Registered
536 Posts
In Canada a New Car Dealer CAN'T sell for more than MSRP. It's actually illegal to do so. However, on a private sale you can charge whatever you want. I think my S5 came in at around $72K (I have to check, as I leased her instead of purchasing) and the MSRP on the GT-R is CDN$81,900.
That must be nice... apparently in the US, it is even illegal for a manufacturer to make a dealer sign a contract saying that they can't sell a specific car over MSRP. that blows

On another note, did you know that for the Canadian GTRs, people who are ordering their car can pick options, but they can't pick their color? Apparently, Nissan in Japan, choses how many cars of each color they want to build for Canada, and then just sends the cars to the port, where Nissan in Canada, who has a list from everyone who ordered one with their top three color preferences, decides what car should be sent where, while trying to keep their customers happy by giving them the color that they wanted, or at least their second choice. Apparently, the first GTR in Canada was given to the third person on the list because the first two people didn't like the color. I wonder why Nissan does it this way, I mean why not just let the people order whatever color they want.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That must be why the owner of the dealership told me he was taking the first car he could get for himself, even if it was pink!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Certainly like the idea of the GTR but unfortunatly the badge snob that is "she who must be obeyed" means it is a no go.

next stop - Porsche.

·
Registered
48 Posts
As nice as the S5 is, I'd say yes. The GTR is in the leagues of much higher exotics, although I'd say the S5 wins in the looks department hands down.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Er NO...GT-R is a car to admire from afar, not sure about its everyday capabilities and those looks aren't to my taste. Hell of a machine though, you have to hand it to those Japs. And if ever I find myself alongside one at the lights, I might just think its time to change the CD.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
You really can't compare an S5 to the new GTR my friend! Maybe you could compare an R8 to a GTR as they're both of similar performance but not an S5!

I've been watching this car for some time now and all I can say is IF you are considering between the two, GTR every day of the week for me but then again it depends on what you're looking for in a car? If you want style and build quality then go for the S5, if you want mind blowing performance, grip and the 'WOW' factor everytime you put your right foot down then it's the GTR in my opinion. As with all these things it's down to personal preference really.

But the GTR is an AMAZING car for the money, awesome in fact! :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
Saw one of these at the London Motorshow. As I had a VIP pass into the lounge to get up close to it. Have to say crazy looking car, however be the sort of car you would own for a short period and then sell on... I hear that you need a £3,000 deposit to secure, which I think would be great a investment, as these will sell well over list, due to demand.. So, anyone got a spare £3,000 knocking around?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Not sure what GT-R's are going in your area, but for the kind of premium people in socal are paying (typical out the door for over 100k), you can get the 500hp supercharger kit on top of your S5 and still end up cheaper. And as everyone else has said, the S5 is a much better looking car.

-Ray

1 - 20 of 26 Posts