Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello members,

This is my first post and I know it wont be my last.

I have an issue here...i will be making my next auto purchase in March or April 2008 and cant decide on the S5 or the new Gt-R...presently i have a Nissan 350Z and 07 BMW 328i sedan,the sedan will be staying and the Z is going..I went for dinner last Sunday and about 30 feet away i see a white M6 and me and my wife were like wow what a beauty,we went for dinner and once we jumped back into my car drove by the M6 so i could get a close up,to my surprise it was not an M6 but a Audi S5(WOW) i could not beleive my eyes..the car is a beauty...so now i am confused do i go with one of the most awaited cars of the century the GT-R or do i go with the beautiful S5...i am looking for the WOW factor and the S5 gives me that and so does the GT-R...i need some help on what to do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
it depends what you are using it for are you going to track the car? is it a daily driver? if its going to be a secondary car one to have fun in the gt-r if you are looking for a car for everday use and to still have the wow factor its the s5 in my eyes

·
Registered
89 Posts
Nice predicament to be in ! I must confess to not knowing much about the up and coming GT-R. I do have an S5 though and I am very pleased with it. The looks are stunning. I expect the GT-R will be a looker too but I feel it may be a bit more "extreme" in its looks. I did not think it was available until 2009 though so that may help you with your choice !!

P.S. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Hey Manny, welcome to the forum, I was in your position only a few weeks back. Had ordered the GT-R back in March 2007 and was very high up the list.

However the car isn't due to come here (UK) till early 2009 and i couldn't be bothered waiting so long for it. I had other reasons too which you can see on this thread: http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthre...98/index.html?t=798&highlight=complete+u+turn where myself and other members on the forum talked about this exact same topic.

If you haven't ordered your GT-R yet and you do want it, I would get a move on as I know the waiting list for the car is very high now.

P.s: could you update your location in your profile please.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
S5 or GT-R

it depends what you are using it for are you going to track the car? is it a daily driver? if its going to be a secondary car one to have fun in the gt-r if you are looking for a car for everday use and to still have the wow factor its the s5 in my eyes

I will be using it as a everyday car as the Beemer is the wifes...and thanks.

Nice predicament to be in ! I must confess to not knowing much about the up and coming GT-R. I do have an S5 though and I am very pleased with it. The looks are stunning. I expect the GT-R will be a looker too but I feel it may be a bit more "extreme" in its looks. I did not think it was available until 2009 though so that may help you with your choice !!

P.S. Welcome to the forum

It is quite extreme...but this does not bother me...and second..from what i have heard from the stealership is that it should be available in Mind 08 as a 09 model..and thanks.

Hey Manny, welcome to the forum, I was in your position only a few weeks back. Had ordered the GT-R back in March 2007 and was very high up the list.

However the car isn't due to come here (UK) till early 2009 and i couldn't be bothered waiting so long for it. I had other reasons too which you can see on this thread: http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthrea...omplete+u+turn where myself and other members on the forum talked about this exact same topic.

If you haven't ordered your GT-R yet and you do want it, I would get a move on as I know the waiting list for the car is very high now.

Thanks...i will get a move on if i decide on the GT-R...by the way this might be a dumb question but how do i update my location in my profile?

By the way i am from Vancouver,British Columbia,Canada.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
... what i have heard from the stealership is ...
If that wasn't a typo, then it's a sentiment I'm sure Plob would relate to!:D :D

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Thanks...i will get a move on if i decide on the GT-R...by the way this might be a dumb question but how do i update my location in my profile?
By the way i am from Vancouver,British Columbia,Canada.
Click on "User CP" on the top left just under "Home" and you can do it there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My S5 is due to arrive at the end of Feb, and I also thought about waiting for either the new M3 or the GTR. However, BMW dealers in my area, including my salesperson whom I have leased a few cars with, are all quoting mark-ups for the first cars. I am SURE that the GTR will have even more outrageous markups, especially with the "Supercar" hype. I think the GTR will have to wait for 3 years as I finish my S5 lease ;)

BTW, aren't in such a great time for cars? Reminds me of the mid-nineties when you had the E36 M3, the Japanese rockets-Supra, RX7, 300Z, 3000GT, etc. This year will be a great year for car enthusiasts: the outgoing RS4, current 335 and G37, S5, E92 M3, GTR, even the new EVO and STI will be great cars. Lots of test drives this year!

·
Registered
685 Posts
I think the comparison is apples to oranges. Two very different cars, which makes it really hard as the variables are so large. In a comparison like this I think it will come down to personal taste more than anything.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Well I just called up the garage to get my deposit for the GT-R back, but on speaking to the dealer he mentioned the GT-R SPEC V version of the car due in about 2010, so I just shifted my deposit across to that now.

GT-R SPEC V - should is rumored to be 200kg lighter, a bit more powerful, no back seats, and going to be about the £70k mark.

·
Registered
643 Posts
It's a tough (but envious!) choice you have. Since you don't mind the "extreme-ness" of the GT-R, I'd recommend that!! By far the better performer of the two, no doubt that would be the more fun car. But the S5 is leagues ahead in sophistication (which you WILL appreciate, don't listen to the nay-sayers), including one of the best interiors in the world (again, you will appreciate it), and judging from your reaction when you saw it, one of the best looking cars on the road (especially at that price). Up to you to decide what you want more...

·
Registered
677 Posts
From what I have read on the internet ( I still have a deposit for a US spec GT-R) this car is not daily driver friendly. It demands constant attention to driving. My STi I sold was this way and I wanted something I could relax in. The S5 works perfectly for that. The only thing in my opinion that could be better is even more power. I guess that is why I am #1 on my dealers list for the RS5. I think I will be happier with the RS5 than the GT-R.

BTW, I race go-karts as track toys. So I am not looking for a track car.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I saw the gt-r up close at the annual car show. Its looks are hot. But you are comparing Japanese style to euro luxury. I was trying to decide between the s5, m3, and evo (yes totally different league. But always wanted one) and the s5 won. Just hit 1k miles over the weekend and I enjoy every minute with it. I could pretty much live in it because its that comfortable inside.

One thing I heard the gtr sales lady say there is a camera installed so you can record your drive. I thought that was pretty cool.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.