Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I've purchased a beautiful S5, but I've noticed that the old level goes down about a quarter of a litre every 150 miles or so. Yet when I take the oil cap off and put it back on, its showing full again. I'm wondering if this is just a software fault. It doesn't seem to be burning oil ?
Thanks
Danny

·
Registered
2 Posts
That is normal. When opening the hood/bonnet it thinks the oil is topped up, only afterwards is measures the level.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is normal. When opening the hood/bonnet it thinks the oil is topped up, only afterwards is measures the level.
Oh, okay. So I need to top up the oil then? It's just had a service, so maybe it just needs a little top up. Thanks for your reply

·
Registered
551 Posts
If youre unsure just get a dipstick just to make sure as your oil level should be pretty much spot on after the service. Will need to have a look at mine also as ive just had mine serviced, but sure it should be showing it around the top as it drops down only towards the next service.

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
Oh, okay. So I need to top up the oil then? It's just had a service, so maybe it just needs a little top up. Thanks for your reply
The only way that you can really know is to purchase and fit a good ol dipstick, you remember those perhaps.....Cos then you meansure the physical oil level when the engine is cold so the oil is all where it should be. I never trusted the electronic version. Renault have a good system when you first start the engine it tells you that the oil level is good, but of course you also have a dipstick. Only way to be sure, in my opinion.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, that's a good idea. I don't know why audi did away with the dipstick. I'll buy one, although I'm sure they're not cheap!

·
Registered
551 Posts
How would it know that you have opened the bonnet? And why would you top up oil when let say you need to change a bulb?
Afaik the bonnet is connected to the car on two hinges and nothing more so it wouldn't make sense that the car knows when you open the bonnet to top up the oil and resets it to full, correct me if I'm wrong though ;)

·
Registered
506 Posts
It knows when the bonnet is open as if you turn on the ignition while it's open it tells you on the dash.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
How would it know that you have opened the bonnet?
apart from hinges, there are also sensors.
that's how the electronics of the car notice, that you have opened the bonnet.

the car knows when you open the bonnet to top up the oil and resets it to full, correct me if I'm wrong though ;)
the car does not notice what you did under the bonnet, only that it has been opened.
therefore the oil-level indicator does not jump to "full", but instead it is just showing the level, as it is.

Reactions: SimonRoma

·
Registered
551 Posts
Well that is a bit embarrassing then????
Clear message there - use dipstick!?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Yeah, that's a good idea. I don't know why audi did away with the dipstick. I'll buy one, although I'm sure they're not cheap!
Just over a tenner from the dealer! :)

Also if you have a late S5, the dipstick doesn't read right! :)

I have the later CREC engine and I've found I have to pull dipstick out, wipe and insert ONLY to when rubber o-ring touches the dipstick tube. The reading then matches the MMI. :)

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
Re the (cheap) dip sticks, note that when you give the VIN number to order a dipstick, the Audi official stealers will tell you that it does not fit, so you purchase it "at your own risk". I did and er.......it fits!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts