Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a reminder to S5 owners to keep an eye on your oil level, My car has covered around 3,500 miles now and is starting to drop on the dip stick (guessing around half a litre), too early to report useage but I will soon. I assume all S5's come with a pouch in the boot with a spare bottle of oil in it, but my dealer didn't explain to me about checking the level and while I know its good practice anyway, I'm sure some will forget....

·
Registered
231 Posts
sounds similar to my oil consumption. mine has done 5300miles and is about 1/3 down the level indicator

·
Registered
677 Posts
This seems to be normal on a lot of new cars (regardless of brand) anymore. It lessens as time goes by.

·
Registered
276 Posts
For a new engine and in comparison with diesels especially I would say 3500 mls on 0.5 litre is a very good figure.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Blade,

Sounds about right - my S4 (very similar engine) has always used about 0.5 litre every 4000 miles or so. I don't bother checking it that regularly, just wait for the sensor to warn me.

Do get your replacement oil through Audi though - they're about £1 per litre cheaper than Halfords for the same Mobil oil (and sometimes they don't charge me at all:D ). I also got caught out with an empty litre bottle in the boot last week and the Shell garage I stopped at charged me £16.45 for 1 litre of their fully synthetic 5W30 oil! Ouch!

You'll find the servicing a touch expensive as it needs about 12 litres for an oil change (from memory - might be a bit out on that) . Not cheap at around £11-£12 per litre! I'll check my last service receipt to see how much oil I was charged for, when I get a chance.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Thanks for that Blade,i am getting my S5 in december and am very interested in how many miles car will do before oil requires changing.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Mad,

I would assume it's the same servicing schedule as my S4 - about every 19k miles or so (depends how you drive it.)

I believe that the service interval sensor works off the oil condition, so it relies on the right type - 5W30 fully synthetic is your only choice, but there are several manufacturers available. Audi in the UK use Mobil. If you put any other oil in (even as a top-up), then you have to go to 10k mile service intervals (on the S4 anyway).

I've dug out my last service receipt and I was charged for 10.3 ltrs of oil at £99.99 plus VAT (17.5%).

·
Registered
373 Posts
Thanks Scratch ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts