Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I switched out my oil at 700 miles, mainly because I accidently overfilled the engine slightly when topping up the oil, so I had to drain some out anyway.

There is a lot of discussion about break-in periods and metal particles in the oil during up to the first oil change, so out of interest, I had my oil analysed at Blackstone Labs ($22.50).

You can see from the report that there is above average levels of metals in the oil and this is at 700miles.

I thought members might be interested in the results, and have some comments.

I refilled the Engine with Castrol SLX Professional OE from the AUDI dealer.

Anyone care to analyse the results further?

I am thinking about analysing the oil each oil change to get a better idea when to change the oil - I tend to do short trips which probably reduces the life of the oil due to fuel dillution.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I've done nearly 5000 miles now, think I will get my oil changed very soon.

For those of you in the UK I found the oil at a decent price here: http://www.oil-store.co.uk/?path=item&id=444

£108.64 for 4 x 4 litre of Mobile ESP Formula 5W/30 which is the stuff that comes with the S5.
Postage is £16.00 so it totals to £124.64 which make each 4 litre bottle £31.64 which is way cheaper than Halfords at £46.99 for a 4 litre bottle and 1 litre bottles are about £13 - £14.

I have a mate with an RS4 so he is taking one bottle, I plan to use the others for my oil change and for topping up as the S5 really does drink a lot of the stuff.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Interesting findings SDS5 - I'm no chemist so the actual stats are all Greek (?) to me but underlines the importance of considering an early change.
Never going to do any harm and could extend the longevity of the engine considerably.
I had mine changed at approx 2500 miles (perhaps a bit later than I should) by APS when the car went in to have the recent suspension mods checked over. Cost me £120 for the lubricant and labour - probably my most expensive oil change ever (it's almost as much as I paid for my first car!) but I hope, money well spent......

·
Registered
435 Posts
I've done nearly 5000 miles now, think I will get my oil changed very soon.

For those of you in the UK I found the oil at a decent price here: http://www.oil-store.co.uk/?path=item&id=444

£108.64 for 4 x 4 litre of Mobile ESP Formula 5W/30 which is the stuff that comes with the S5.
Postage is £16.00 so it totals to £124.64 which make each 4 litre bottle £31.64 which is way cheaper than Halfords at £46.99 for a 4 litre bottle and 1 litre bottles are about £13 - £14.

I have a mate with an RS4 so he is taking one bottle, I plan to use the others for my oil change and for topping up as the S5 really does drink a lot of the stuff.
Wow, you consume that much oil? I am excited because I figured my demo model would burn for sure, but after 2k miles, the dipstick (No MMI oil levels for me) hasn't moved. How often do you have to top off?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Wow Ess5ive, interesting that you think that changing the oil early could 'extend the longevity of the engine considerably'.
1) Why do you think this will be so?
2) What do you think the life of the engine would be without this extra expense?
3) How many more miles/years are you now expecting from it?
4) Do you plan to keep the car that long so as to gain the benefit yourself?
The car has an on-board computer that tells you when it needs an oil change, and most people get around 15 -20,000 miles between them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts