Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure i seen someone advertising a number plate for sale in this thread section in last couple of days,seems to have vanished.
If it is around can someone give me link again,thanks.

Think reg was S5C OUPE if this is anyones reg and is selling it i am interested in buying it to go on my S5 which i am collecting in December.

Send me a private message and we will see if we can sort something out.

Thanks.
Dave.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Mad u will find the plate on ebay .. or at least it was there recently. PM me if you cant find it as I think I have the ebay user on my saved list.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thanks Spinner,have been thinking about it today not sure what to do weather to put a private plate on my S5 or leave it until a year old maybe,let everyone see its brand new :) and get a private plate on say in a year.
Any thoughts anyone?,keep 57 plate on new S5 or buy private plate and get fitted to car when i pick up in December.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
You know ya gotta show off the new 57 plate :p ... at least until the 08 plates come out! lol.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Funny you say that Rab,i have asked a few friends today same question and they came up with same statement you have made,looks like i will show off me 57 plate :D for now and i will go private in April or Sept next year.

My S5 due in december,counting down the days :)

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I plan to do the same. Keep 57 for now and go private next year.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Yep I'm keeping the 57 for now and have my eye on a few private plates (no letting on which or you'll grab em lol) in about a year ;)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Enlighten me, what is a 57 plate?
It's an overly complex UK thing that the government introduced at start of millenium - many UK folks still don't get it!

The current UK registration has two letters, a two-figure age identifier, a space and then finally three letters.

This format started in 2001, and essentially any new car registered after March and September in any one year will have corresponsing two figure age identifier. The first of these numbers (0 for March or 5 for September at the moment) indicates the time of year, whilst the second of these numbers will indicate the year (currently 7 for 2007). So a car with number plate AB 07 DVL will have been registerd within the 6 month period March 2007 - end August 2007. AB 51 DVL (see attached photo for format) will have been registered between September 2001 to end of Feb 2002.

The 5 will change to 6 in 2010 and to 7 in 2020 and so on until 2050 when the format may be reversed to extend the format another 50 years. Hopefully the attached photo helps.

So a '57 plate' means registered after 1st September 2007 but before March 2008.

Incidentally, the first 2 letters iindicate the part of the country that the car was registered (e.g. GN, GL, GF, GJ are all near Maidstone/Canterbury). The final 3 letters are just random, but unique to the vehicle to which they are assigned.

The Government keeps back special numbers for sale (e.g. XX 57 AUD) and as a means of boosting it's coffers even further).

Confused yet?

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Andrew, Bet you wished you never asked eh?
I don't worry because they're all envious of my very rare 07 plated S5
07 plate = 1st registered between 1st March 07 & 31st Aug 07 so an 07 S5 is one of the very first.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Wooohooo picked up a nice plate today!!!

Just happened to be searching on ebay for anything related to the S5, low and behold I spotted a cherished plate .... S5 0000 A (0000 the audi rings)

Picked it up for just £500 :p

Not sure I'll put it on till the 57 is dated though ;)

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice one Spinner ;)

·
Registered
982 Posts
Like it, wouldn't have thought of the ring connection - subtle! I've just purchased V8 AUD - for £399. Ok, so I tell a lie, it's actually V8...88 AUD, but you get the gist. Bargain, methinks!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Anyone know if backgrounds on plates are legal?

Looked on the DVLA website and found the regulations but doesnt mention backgrounds. I'm thinking of having the following design...

Attachments

·
Registered
982 Posts
Spinner, you're far more likely to get hauled over for the illegal spacing of the characters than for the background.

Personally, I think that those backgrounds look a bit chavvy (possibly because the script usually reads 'Pug 206 GTI') and aren't suited to a classy vehicle like the S5. Just my opinion!

Re. the spacing, there are many vehicles out there with unlawful spacing - and some plates depend on it to get the point across. Just beware, it gives plod an excuse to pull you anytime they choose......!

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Hi Joe, I have agree with you mate. All happened so fast I got a bit carried away and I will not be going with a background. I found some info on the net that suggests generally I wont be bothered over the spacing as long as I stick with standard plates and fonts which I always intended to do anyway. As it's always a risk will probably get 2 sets of plates made up, 1 with legal spacing and if I get hassled or ticked off I will just revert to them. Thanks for the advise anyway. BTW nice plate yourself mate!

·
Registered
982 Posts
Hi Spinner, good idea about the 2 sets. A (female) colleague of mine has a Beetle (don't ask) and has the reg. A13 UGW 'adjusted' to read 'A BUG W'. She's been pulled a couple of times and hence now has a legit set as backup (for MOTs and to show due diligence for a couple of weeks after she's been pulled up!).

In that case, might do the same and go with 'V8 88 AUD' - little bit more relevant and obvious!

·
Registered
982 Posts
In fact, why don't you go the whole hog and get them made up with the '0's ovelapping (as in the rings)?. That'll do the trick and get the Gatsos scratching their little metal heads!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts