Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 169 Posts

· Registered
2,046 Posts
Hi All and thanks Ess5 for the excellent write-up. Looking forward to the picture diary and the before and after comparisons. I want to take some 'in-car' recordings as you guys just have to hear this! then I will try and find out a way to post them on here! Patience please!

FWIW, here's my write-up on the modifications...

The Milltek

1) Visuals: Looks fantastic, a small change to the car, with a big impact… it says to the eye ‘not just an ordinary S5’. In fact the more you look, the more you think… bloody hell that thing must have some lump under that bonnet (hood for those in the US!). Downside… not quite as ‘stealthy’ any more… but that’s not why we got the Milltek!

2) Sound: Awsome! (sound files coming soon) The sound does this engine justice… The Milltek is quite a lot louder when you use the throttle, but civilised when driven gently. The sound in the cabin is amazing! …just right… any louder and it would be too much (I will try to take some in-car recordings later too, but have no ‘before’ recording of this). The best thing is the tone… the Milltek is far more sonorous, making the V8 sound just amazing at higher revs, whereas the stock exhaust disappoints when revved… to the point where I used to feel bad and change down early to ‘look after the engine’… but now I just want to hear it rev… and rev… Application of the power when exiting a bend, now not only shoves you in the back, but makes all the right noises too. The fun-factor just went up 200% !! :D Thus the car is transformed from a ‘beefy V8’ with the stock exhaust to the sound of a ‘supercar’ with the milltek… no joking people turn to look for the car as soon as they hear this car and blokes just grin as you burble by…. Any down side? Perhaps… at low revs (less than 1,500rpm) a lot of throttle input tends to be a bit ‘boomy’ so you feel you want to change down to accelerate, rather than labour the car in-gear.

3) Performance: I have yet to confirm this with Ess5, but there’s noticeably more mid-range torque. The power seems to build faster and pulls like a train, to the point where the steering starts to feel slightly light. The car is definitely more responsive and feels like it wants to rev more, making it more ‘sporty’ to drive and improving the ‘fun-factor’ too. Any down side? I think that the low-end torque (<1,500rpm) has dropped a little (as would be expected… see my egg-head notes in the ‘pictures of S5 Exhaust thread! Hey Ess5! ;) ). Although this may be a function of the boominess making this seem more laboured. Although TBH at these revs this is not an issue unless you have your mother-in-law-to-be in the passenger seat and need to drive around at 30mph in 6th gear all day!

1” Lowering and 15mm Spacers:

1) Visuals: Well, The car is transformed. It already looked fantastic… that’s why we all fell in love with it. But honestly, look at the pictures… it looks even better in the flesh where you get a proper sense of scale and proportion. The rear quarter is ‘perfect’ the wheel/tyre sits perfectly in the arch and right to the outside of the vehicle. Most importantly, ‘it looks right’. The front wheel does look like it has spacers, due to the way the bumper and front valance meets the wheel, but we conducted a test with and without and all preferred ‘with’… although perhaps I will experiment with just 10mm at some point… Again though, most importantly, the stance and width matches the ‘perfect’ rear so the car looks just right… testimony to this is the fact that Domestic Ops didn’t notice I’d changed the car… meaning it has made a big change in the looks, but doesn’t look out of place. All the guys, however have gone ‘wow’! it’s so much better and can’t believe it’s only 25mm down it looks that low and planted.

2) Ride: It is definitely a firmer ride, and about as firm as you would want to go for a car you use most days, but I have not hit any bumps yet where I’ve thought it was too firm… and I have been ragging it down country lanes with grass growing down the middle and pottering through town with road works and exposed ironwork etc. From the fun-factor side, this car now feels like it is travelling at the speed it really is, adding more grins per mile! There is no doubt, that the stock suspension is smoother and fractionally quieter and this serene refinement has been compromised slightly so the mother-in-law to be might not be impressed… but it’s not her car!

3) Handling: This doesn’t disappoint. Grip levels are still the same… as you would expect, but the car is definitely more ‘alive’ and responsive… with less dip, dive and body roll, more of the steering input seems to go into a change of direction and less into a change of balance… although the stock is pretty good to start with. Balance wise, the high speed lane-change manoeuvre is completed with much more control and poise and the added steering weight provides a little more feedback, adding to the confidence in situations such as this, or adverse camber and wet road driving. Any drawbacks? Perhaps… the steering feeling a little light when accelerating flat-out, but it’s hard to tell if this isn’t actually just having a little more ‘feeling’ through the wheel (or the Milltek giving more grunt) as opposed to any change in grip levels at the front.

Insurance damage: £29 increase to the premium… not exactly re-mortgage territory.

Fuel damage: The engine now tempts you at every moment to “Try me! Go on! You know you want to; rev me please, give it to me, satisfy yourself!!” The result is that I now have a much heavier right foot and the fuel costs associated with it… but hell, I’m addicted! My kids can go without meat to pay for it!

Summary of both of these Mods…

“Perfect” I am delighted with the transformation and this has ‘finished’ the car for me. I really can’t see anything else I would want from a car. I have to admit I was apprehensive, taking a ‘near perfect’ car and changing it slightly to suit my tastes in looks handling and noise (which is why I bought the stock) but have no regrets at this point and I’m glad I did it right now. Money very well spent.

Finally…

I cannot praise APS enough. They were consummate professionals, knowledgeable, friendly and very accommodating. They now have more experience with modifying A or S5s than any other UK outfit and have by far the keenest prices… it is worth the fuel to travel to these guys both for the money you will save and the confidence that they know what they are doing and look after your car like it was their own. I now understand why they have the awards that they do. First class.

· Registered
2,046 Posts
Sound Comparison...

'
Here's the sound comparison on youtube... after learning how to use Windows Movie Maker!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsIJPIyrgmw

The sound was recorded at high quality with a reference microphone using exactly the same set-up and settings, so thay are as close as you will get to a fair comparison. The measurement shows the Milltek to be 20% louder under these conditions... another point to make is that this is immediately after fitting... these exhaust get slightly louder and even more musical after a few weeks

The sound comparison free-revving is only half the story... under load and at higher revs, these things really bark! I will try to get some in-car sounds done this week using the same equipment.

Ian.

· Registered
2,046 Posts
Press Photo from the day...

Guys, Audi Driver Magazine will be running a feature about our S5 day at APS... here's a sample press photo of my car from the day that they have sent me.

Please respect the image rights of the photographer and magazine by not copying or distributing this picture. Thanks!

:D

Attachments

· Registered
2,046 Posts
That's awesome Ian! I didn't even see you mention (or maybe you didn't) that they were there. If this is a UK mag, keep us (or rather U.S.) in the loop as to when it comes out.
'
Hey Mr G. I perhaps did mention it, but didn't make a big splash beforehand... just in case!

I have had confirmation that the article will be in the April edition of Audi Driver magazine... so guys... order yours (or better still - subscribe) now!

Famous at last!

· Registered
2,046 Posts
any of you local suspects fancy the track day at mallory on may 17 th,,come on ess 5 ,av you got the minerals?
failing that was thinkin of a karting session for the s5 boys and associates at a convienient venue..?? any thoughts
...Karting sounds great!

Track day on the 17th? might be a problem as I'm travelling to Paris, but I might be able to squeeze it in. Definately interested though... Try starting a new thread for this, to make it more visible!

Ian.

· Registered
2,046 Posts
Hi Ian,

Do you think that the deeper sound comes from the fact that there is no crossover box, hence only half the pulse frequency per rear box? If that's the case then the idea of just changing the back boxes as a halfway measure (slightly quieter) on my car will won't give it the deep sound. Have you got spectral info on your recordings?
'
Hi Graham,

I can get spectral info, or send you the sound files.

The tone will obviously be a function of the materials used, the bore and the length of the pipes. The crossover in the stock system won't a 'crossover' but a coupler... i.e the two tubes run parallel with holes in them, wrapped in glass wool and put inside a bigger sealed box... The Milltek has the middle resonator too, just not coupled.

I think that to meet the 'halfway house' of volume, depth and tone without the low-end boom, you have to acrifice the low frequency. I think Milltek back boxes only might just do this... hopefully sounding like a quiet ferrari instead of a full bore Aston!

...without tubes, maths, and stuff to play with, we can only guess... but I think it's worth a shot!

Ian.

· Registered
2,046 Posts
Professor Ian here! ;)

Remap... short answer... It's a new piece of software for the ECU, designed to improve responsiveness and power output from the engine. It's called a remap, because in the ECU is a piece of software that 'maps' (converts) the inputs from the various sensors on the car onto a set of engine controls, such as the ignition timing, injector timing and fuel charge. This is the heart of a modern engine.

How does a remap improve power and responsiveness? Well simply that Audi can always get more power out of the engine, but there are trade-offs with emissions, fuel economy, engine wear and driveability. What a remap does is replace the 'mapping program' with a new one that changes the mapping and trades a few things for a little more power. (something always has to give... it's the laws of physics and chemistry!). However, one of the easiest things to do with a remap is to change how the car responds to throttle input... a little more throttle, a lot more power... this doesnt actually make the car faster, but it feels faster and more responsive... especially after a gear change because as you apply a little throttle, the car applies full power.

What are the downsides of a remap? ...It depends on the exact car and remap... however, usually fuel economy and changes in the ability to drive smoothly... not a problem for Colli because he rags it everywhere! Ultimately, it's a bit more strain on the engine, so the engine will not be as reliable as designed in the long run, however, I really would not expect any issues in the normal lifetime of the car (up to 60k miles). But it also depends on how it's driven! ;)

Prof. Ian signing out!

:)

· Registered
2,046 Posts
...It was all Ess5s fault... he kept egging me on... and he switched the traction and ESP off to get more tyre smoke on the roundabouts. ;)

I'm up for track and karting... although I'm a bit of a timid driver.

· Registered
2,046 Posts
Can't make it to the re-union... I have some work to do in London. Sorry guys... don't take the p*ss out of me too much just because I'm not here to answer back! ;)

· Registered
2,046 Posts
You forgot the biggest downside, (which is the only reason I probably won't do a remap) if something happens to your engine, and Audi catches you with an ECU remap, they can refuse to cover the repair of your car under warranty.
'
...kinda goes without saying. It's the same for any mod.

· Registered
2,046 Posts
...agreed. It's also a more 'delicate' part of the car than suspension or exhaust.

BTW.. what the hell kinda time is this to be posting from New York... it's got to be 3am? ;)

· Registered
2,046 Posts
dice were well found ian,,still waiting for ess5 to upload some pics of the dice in his car??
not a happy camper, milltek have not delivered my exhaust to aps so had to cancel going down on friday,supposed to be this coming week ,late week. it better had be or will cancel,dont like it when folk dont make delivery dates...especially when i have paid up front..:mad:
ian have you still got 15mm spacers on the front and any issues??also does the 10mm make yours look any different ess 5?
have any of you guys looked at daytona for karting ,i cant progress without were to race and i am keen to organise as i would relish the opportunity to whoop ess 5 rear end....
'
Looks like the spacers weren't the problem - a little grease needed somewhere else! SO both cars still have 15s on all round and no problems... Except needing to beat-off admirers with a sh!tty stick!!

Karting looks great... any venue works for me... Milton Keynes is nearest, but is an hour's drive for me, 1.5 for Ess and 3 fopr yooz... if we have Sandown or Manc, then one of the three of us doesn't have to drive far and one has to drive f*ng miles!

· Registered
2,046 Posts
Hi guys, am taking delivery of my S5 this Friday. Had ordered it at end of October'07 and was told delivery would be mid-July'08 but I guess Audi had a spurt of productivity and hey presto it’s all going to happen this week, it suddenly feels like Christmas again and I’m 12 years old... roll on Friday :D

I’ve just come across the YouTube upload for Ian’s (Ianhp1) S5, it sounds and looks great. Having read everything you’ve had to say about APS it looks like I need to be booking my car in asap.

Ian I don’t recall you saying anything about your car being remapped – so can I assume you’ve left the electronics alone and just dealt with the exhaust? If so, I’m guessing BHP hasn’t improved but has that 0-60 dash now dropped below 5 seconds?

By the way I’ve recently seen that the S5 is now available with optional 20” alloys. I tried to get my order amended but at this late stage Audi wanted nearly £3,500 :eek: for the pleasure so I guess I’ll be sticking with the standard 19”.
'
IMO - the S5 looks better (lower and more aggresive) with 19" alloys once lowered than with 20" from all the photos I've seen.

· Registered
2,046 Posts
...It's amazing what a few pints of guiness can do to your wallet!!

Ed will look after you without my input! I'm sure it'll be worth the drive... if you can coordinate it with an OC meet, you can make the trip worthwhile!

Ian.

1 - 20 of 169 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.