Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first thread on this forum but I have been a big fan for a while and I have been reading nearly everything regarding S5's and 3.0 TDI's

I currently drive an A4 cab 3.0 quat and decided that I should upgrade to something more fun. I am a big fan of the latest engines from BMW particular the 3 litre petrol and diesel twin-turbos but image wise (hope I don’t offend anyone), I cannot justify getting a 335i/d. However, the A5 is without question the road I am going down but my dilemma is which one. The fun factor has to be prioritised with a touch of sensibility.

S5, I love the engine and it already got a pretty aggressive look so I would not change the body too much. The 3.0 TDI is a nice diesel engine but not as good as the BMW's but it got good consumption figures, it is powerful and it will depreciate less.

I would definitely modify either of the cars (remap, exhaust, coilovers, spacers, alloys) and for the 3.0 TDI I would have to change the body styling a bit (think personally that the A5C project looks awesome).

I have not managed to find any threads which discuss pros/cons, tradeoffs etc when comparing the S5 with the 3.0 TDI. Would it be enough to install coilovers (KW's seems like the sensible option), spacers and low-profile tires to get the same handling as the S5 with same modifications or do I need to do anything additional?

Performance wise - what could I expect from a remapped and freer flowing exhaust for S5/3.0 TDI. 0-60, in gear acceleration, vmax (important for showing-off down the local) etc? Some threads mentioned no change to the 3.0 TDI in terms of 0-60??? Can that really be right? :eek:

I would love to hear from people who have similar spec cars as above and their experience pre mod to post mod; people who are familiar with both cars pros/cons; people who are considering similar modification and their conclusion.

Is the modified 3.0 TDI closing the gap on the modified S5 in terms of the fun factor? :confused:

Any help is much apprecited,
MASO

· Registered
2,335 Posts
If I were making the choice now (and not having lived with the S5 for the last 8 months), i'd propably say go 3.0TDI and get the A5C conversion done because for me it looks better than the S5. The Golden Oldies :p:D on the site might disagree with the looks of it but it definitely looks way more agressive and will be rare in comparison.

By getting KW coilovers, Re-map etc done to it too will just finish it off and most people who have S5 never get to push the car near to it's limits anyway, so on the handling front unless your going to be tracking the car an upgrade to the TDIs suspension should be fine.

Now for the downsides - The engine roar of the S5 with an upgraded exhaust is priceless, i've lost count of the number of people that stop me at the supermarket or in a carpark and ask what the car is (amazed some people still ask if it's an R8 :D) the only downside is my MPG has gone down since the install, mainly because i'm still addicted to the sound and my foot just doesn't know any other direction but down.

The S5 is just much faster than the 3.0TDi, re-map will close the gap a little but not by much, but unless your planning to race the car at high speed on the motorway this won't really be a big deal.

Lastly a downside is MPG - the car drinks so if you plan to do more than 15,000 miles you may want to reconsider although from what i've worked out for "me" (lots of motorway miles) the cost over the 3.0TDI is about £1400 to £1600 extra over a year on fuel and depending on who you are that might be too much or not that much at all.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the swift reply.

I will only use the car for social use and I do not drive more than 6-7,500 miles per year. I do love the sound of the S5 with a sweet exhaust but I noted that Milltek exhaust for the TDI also isn’t too bad when you listen to their sample on YouTube. But that might be very different when you hear a live comparison - I bet the S5 will sound miles better, anyone heard a live comparison?

· Registered
1,239 Posts
Maso, might be worth popping down too APS as there is a small meet there this saturday, some people are getting the TDI milltek exhaust. Will get to hear the S5's in person too. I'm sure someone will give you a ride in their car. I think Timbo is going who has a 3.0TDI and having both the milltek and KW's done.

I dont envy your decision. Good luck.

EDIT: OH and welcome to the forum :)

· Premium Member
861 Posts
I will be at APS on tomorrow (Saturday) having the Milltek, H & R Springs and spacers fitted. I was hoping for the remap as well but Ed says it won't be ready in time.

Maso, if you do decide to pop up to APS, I'm more than happy to give you a ride in my 3.0 TDi (both before & after the Milltek is fitted) if you get there early enough. As I have to be away from APS by about 1:30pm, Ed has asked me to be there for 8:30-9:00am.

I have heard the 3.0 TDi Milltek on SDU's (another forum member) car and wrote a mini-review here (see post #72).

BTW, by my reckoning, there will be 3 A5s and 2 S5s at APS tomorrow (there may be 3 S5s - not sure if IanHP1 is going to be there). :D

· Registered
171 Posts
Just a small note on this. I was following an S5 along the A4 between Newbury and Hungerford last year. As far as I could tell, his car was stock and my 3.0 TDi had the Tunit box fitted. We were both having a little fun, overtaking slower traffic when conditions allowed (being very safe, I assure you).

I was quite surprised at just how much I was able to keep up with him. Now, of course, it is possible that he didn't have his foot fully to the floor, and the bursts of acceleration were perhaps too short for him to use the extra rpm of the V8 petrol. But the fact was he didn't lose me at all, for a good 10 miles or so.

Eventually, he turned left at Hungerford and I went straight on.

I'm sure, given the right conditions, the S5 is faster. But in everyday 'road' driving there was very little in it on this occasion.

Just my 2p...

· Registered
1,636 Posts
Maso, i had the same cab as you mine was a 55plate 3.0 v6 Petrol A4 Cab and i havent every thought for a moment i made the wrong choice i completely love the 5 series model. The A5 engine i think is ace and im looking forward to getting it remapped although saying that i think there is enough power already there :p but you can never have too much. As for the TDI 3.0 which i have, im glad i didnt hang about for the petrol engine as the grunt from the v6 is ok, yeah its not a v8 but i hear good things about the milltek system so whoo hoo

A5 is the way forward...

· Registered
1,374 Posts
As an S5 oldie, I would say the following.... (and other oldies have said the same)

The A5 is a great car. It was what I was looking at and would have been happy with. That was until I sat in the S5. Pressed the start button and heard the engine fire up. After driving the S5 (in stock form) you just cannot believe the power and refinement you get (at this price level). Going back to the A5 after that wasnt an option for me.

Since having the modifications done, its taken the S5 to another level.

I have driven the diesel and its nowhere near the S5 on power although once it kicks in it does pick up very well. Problem is that by the time that happens, the S5 is already too far ahead.

The S5 is never pushed hard on the road. You have to hold back and you do feel that there is so much more the car can do but UK roads dont allow (unless you are a moron!). Sometimes that can be frustrating. There car is barely ticking over at 70 and it takes next to no time to get to 70. You want to keep going.

I would suggest that if you are considering the A5, do not take an S5 out.

I noted that Milltek exhaust for the TDI also isn’t too bad when you listen to their sample on YouTube. But that might be very different when you hear a live comparison - I bet the S5 will sound miles better, anyone heard a live comparison?
We were at APS when milltek turned up in the diesel. It was a vast improvement and you found it hard to believe it was a diesel. It was a big improvement over stock and well worth it for anyone with the diesel engine. However, the S5 milltek is just a different level again. You cannot compare the two as being similar.

Maso, your mileage doesnt justify the higher cost of the diesel.

· Registered
112 Posts
I will indeed be at APS tomorrow, and cannnot wait!

I'm more than happy to give people a ride if they want to check out the exhaust, and / or KW2s.

Looking forward to meeting some of you guys at last.

Cheers,

T

· Registered
1,251 Posts
First of all Hi!:)
If I were you, I would definetely go for the S5. Engine is just soo much better than the 3.0TDI, it is no brainer, if you decide by brain - go for TDI, but if you are a fan - S5 all the way.

I have 3.0TDI and the only reason why is that they didn't have S5 when I wanted to buy a car. I wanted to have a car immediately.

I am modded (ECU remap) and now car has 206KW and 600NM.
Now the good stuff.:p

1. 0-160KPH
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDSJrAdq3Jo

2. 100-250KPH
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ts0Mq1xFqs

3. Compare S5 vs 3.0TDI, 0-200KPH:
My run was however 10-200KPH:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvCllJTwMQk

S5 run 0-200:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O79XJeJp0bA

Differency is only 3 seconds, not that bad.:D
So these were my .2 cents.;)

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you very much for all your replies. Unfortunately, i cant make the meet up at APS today but i would love to hear from people who went their in terms of live comparison of the milltek exhaust on the S5 vs TDI.

I will call the Audi and get on with the test driving of the two models and hopefully within resonable time i will make my mind up. Step two is making my way to APS and get the essential upgrades

Have a good weekend

· Registered
2,335 Posts
Thank you very much for all your replies. Unfortunately, i cant make the meet up at APS today but i would love to hear from people who went their in terms of live comparison of the milltek exhaust on the S5 vs TDI.

I will call the Audi and get on with the test driving of the two models and hopefully within resonable time i will make my mind up. Step two is making my way to APS and get the essential upgrades

Have a good weekend
If you can try and get a days test drive for both cars....that way you will get a better feel for them.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OMG!!!! Just done a test drive in a S5 (stock) - the engine and the handling was amazing and the acceleration was pretty awesome as well even that i didnt floor it. After handing the keys back to the local Audi man and jumped back in to my Audi A4 3.0 cab quat sport - i was no amused. My mind is pretty much made up but i should just go a test a 3.0 TDI at one point.

If i were to go for a second hand S5 or even a 3.0 TDI, what spec is a must? B&O, parking plus, sat nav, hill assistance?

Also, kindly let me know when the next gathering at APS:D

· Registered
1,251 Posts
Get B&0, Hill Hold Assist, for sure get the MMI Sat Nav Plus oh yeah and S-LINE is a MUST! Did you check my videos? What do you think? It is 3.0TDI..

· Registered
1,374 Posts
Get B&0, Hill Hold Assist, for sure get the MMI Sat Nav Plus oh yeah and S-LINE is a MUST!
S-line is not available in the UK.

OMG!!!! Just done a test drive in a S5 (stock) - the engine and the handling was amazing and the acceleration was pretty awesome as well even that i didnt floor it. After handing the keys back to the local Audi man and jumped back in to my Audi A4 3.0 cab quat sport - i was no amused. My mind is pretty much made up but i should just go a test a 3.0 TDI at one point.
Told you not to take the S5 out. Thats it now. You have blown it. The TDI will not match it.

· Registered
1,251 Posts
LOL, yeah, he should have taken 3.0TDI for the first try.
I didn't know S-Line was not available in UK - what kind of stupidness is that?:confused:

· Registered
953 Posts
LOL, yeah, he should have taken 3.0TDI for the first try.
I didn't know S-Line was not available in UK - what kind of stupidness is that?:confused:
My dealership told me that most of the options (bar the body styling) are already standard or additional options in the base model.

I'm not sure if we can even get the S-Line body styling in this country as a dealer or factory fit option.

· Registered
1,239 Posts
Yeh you cant get Sline here, you can get it fitted by the dealer if you really want it, just dont expect it to be cheap. By the time you've paid them to fit it and kit out the 3.0tdi with options you'd be able to get a lower spec S5.

Go for the S5 mate, you wont regret it. Few of us should be heading to APS in November if APS has a free Saturday that month.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.