Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so some things might keep me from getting the S5 again-but I prepared for this with a back-up plan lol

i was thinking as an alternative-maybe getting a 2005 Porsche Carrera 4S Coupe Tiptronic(if i can find one for around $45k-$50k with nav)

but im just curious about comparing specs (s5 tip vs above car)

0-60
1/4 mile
top speed

also intrested in other comprable suggestions (4-wheel drive a necessity)

if anyone has had any experiance with 911's(preferably an awd tip) just wondering how the two cars compare overall as well

and just a general question---is the extra $17k worth it for the S5

i know the porsche wont turn heads like the S5-but just the two cars overall as far as ride/interior quality/comfort/road feel-everything......

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Your incapable of making decisions. Stick with the S5 ffs, as for specs, search google if you really want to know. C4S is a totally different car, wont be half as practicle as the S5, ride will be no way near as nice, and who gives a shit about speed when you have the V8. Zzz

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its more of a financial problem stopping me, not a problem making up my mind-if money wasnt a strain it wouldnt be a hard decision at all (s5 all the way)----only thing thats good about the wait list for the car.....is that it gives me time to figure things out so i can get out of this rut

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
its more of a financial problem stopping me
porsche running costs are significantly higher than audi. So, you may end up paying less initially but more later.

I have to agree with robb though. The cars are very different which suggests you havent made your mind up on what type of car you want, let alone the model.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I was actually comparison shopping similar cars but I was interested in 997 C4S. The lowest I saw was around 60's. I can't say for the 996, but I have seen a very wide range of performance figues. Some were as low as 4.2 to 0-60 which compares favorably to RS4.

·
Registered
230 Posts
best place, is dragtimes.com.... you can put any car vs any car to see what they run stock cars

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you are worried about the difference between 45K-50K and 60K, then I don't think you should be buying a car at all. If you are struggling financially, and you really need a car, then I would think about something much less expensive such as $25K.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
simple buy a car your can afford and save for another for when your older and wisher!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yeah, if you are struggling financially I would stick with a new TDI Jetta or something 2nd hand. I put down $24k to make my payments $500 a month for 5 years. I hope that puts things in prospective and that is on $52k. Especially with todays job market. Is your job 100% secure for the duration of the loan you are taking?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
People living outside their means is one of the reasons why we have a "credit crisis" in the global economy. If you can't pay for it in cash, you can't afford it.
i agree with you there!

·
Registered
209 Posts
aggiering- in response, it isn't always necessary to pay with Cash. To still live within ones means is not to always be able to pay with cash, but to have positive equity in what you own. There is nothing wrong with leverage. It is what drives the growth of the economy and financial markets. The only problem with leverage is when there is too much (negative equity) This is what is causing the credit crunch and the negative economy. As a whole many american people have negative equity which for those who do not understand what that means. If you sell everyone you own at "market value" you come short still owing creditors.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
aggiering- in response, it isn't always necessary to pay with Cash. To still live within ones means is not to always be able to pay with cash, but to have positive equity in what you own. There is nothing wrong with leverage. It is what drives the growth of the economy and financial markets. The only problem with leverage is when there is too much (negative equity) This is what is causing the credit crunch and the negative economy. As a whole many american people have negative equity which for those who do not understand what that means. If you sell everyone you own at "market value" you come short still owing creditors.
I think the point being made was meaning im more simple terms is that if people didnt borrow to buy then there would not be a credit crunch!!!

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Here's a list of cars I won't be buying...

Dear Kaz

I'm not sure, but I think I probably won't be buying an Aston Martin DB9, Bugatti Veyron or McLaren SLR, because I'm not sure I can afford them this week.

Other cars I'm thinking of not buying are: Ford Focus, Smart Car, Transit van, Chrysler crossfire and Peugeot 1007... because I don't like them.

However, If I change my mind or underpants in the next week or so, be sure I'll post and let you know.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Point: Just freaking buy what you can afford.

I can tell this person can't afford a S5 or Porsche because he took the time to write his worries on a message board. If you can't pay for it in cash or make the loan/lease payments without it affecting ANYTHING at all in your budget, you can't afford it. No cutbacks on vacations, eating out, etc. That means you can't afford it.

Conclusion: Just buy what you can AFFORD. End of thread.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
wish it was the end of topid Kaz the man will be back!!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
To be 100% honest-i could afford to pay for it out right if i wantted to and have the porsche also outright-but that wouldnt make much sense would it? because cash is 100% liquid(if i ever had a emergency or w.e.)-and a car isnt-so why would i take such a large amount of liquidity away from myself and put it into a depreciating assest?

plus a $21k total cost differance is enough to consider the option of having a 4wd 911.....(atleast i think so)

the other thing is, im looking to take my money and invest some of it soon-so i wouldnt want to not be able to invest in something because of my car-so buying outright wouldnt really make any sense at all

--however, my question isnt about my financials-its about the two cars-but i do appreciate your opinions

·
Registered
42 Posts
Porsche/Aston/Audi/BMW/Lada/Skoda

Gordon Bennet....

It's easy.........just go down to a dealer and get any new car out for a test drive.

I went down to Porsche in Sussex, UK..he gave me the keys of a brand new 911C4S with PDK.
Fabulous car, no doubt.
Not worth £75,000. Discount please?!!?
Bloody uncomfortable.
Bloody noisy too.

Cayman next....slot car stuff...also bloody noisy.

Aston next.....hmmmm, sounds nice...what - only two seats!!?!?

Went to Jag dealer...he wants to give me an XK for the weekend. Nice. Brakes wobbled on demo car - sheesh!

Audi dealer wants me to have S5 for the day. Now the S5 is QUIET/SMOOTH/FAST.
Hell what a car.
SHAME THE FRONT WHEELS WOBBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I probably WON'T get an S5...not interested in wobbly wheels!!!!
I haven't made my mind up either....but nobody's going to make it up for me....off you go now.

Good luck pal.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.