Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just a warning to any potential S5 buyers! While I may be willing to admit that my experience is not typical, the fact that a new sport/luxury vehicle has had so many (yet to be resolved) problems is a testament to the poor quality of either Audi in general or limited production vehicles like the S5.

I purchased a 2010 S5 demo model with very few kms back in Sept. 2009. Below is the list of problems with the vehicle (some mentioned on this forum already):
1- Doors won't close in cold weather and/or after wash in winter due to freezing condensation inside window seal or freezing on outside of window seal. STATUS: unresolved by Audi Canada
2- Transmission/clutch issues: long story short, after months of debating that getting into 1st gear was way too tough and sometimes required several attempts, they brought in a new transmission and clutch from the US. STATUS: vehicle gets into 1st gear smoothly.
3- Keyless entry not working: Again back and forth debate over the cause (key or receptors). They changed the keys and the receptors. Status: now working
4- Automatic steering hose leak: turning steering wheel was getting harder and harder. Brought in to dealership to investigate. They advised to "top-up" the steering fluid without ever asking themselves why a vehicle with 5K km would be low on steering fluid. Top up lasted for half a day. Went back and they discovered the hose needed replacing. STATUS: working now
5- Clunking noise from underbelly: They took it in and told me that some nuts were loose??? I didn't bother asking anymore questions as I'm now too fed up to even react. STATUS: now no more noise
6- Noise from sunroof when opened. STATUS: unresolved as they're basically telling me to live with it.
7- MMI sound systems just goes mute randomly (I don't have a tint). Took it in, they couldn't replicate it, so again, I'm told to live with it. STATUS: unresolved

All this for a brand new vehicle costing over $75K. Other than spectacular styling, the S5 leaves much to be desired. If the M3 wasn't another 3 series with better performance, I would have never bought this car. I truly regret switching to Audi from BMW.

·
Registered
528 Posts
sorry to here...

i've been having problems with my 08 A5....needless to say i have Audi North America every step of the way.

not sure if you tried this but contact them, customer service explain your problems.

I was talking to this gentlemen named "antwon" not sure how to spell it...but they keep tabs on the dealers to make sure the problems are resolved in a timely manner. (they talk back and fourth, and when the dealers have Audi North America breathing down their neck you can rest assure they will help no problem)

hope that helps.

·
Registered
528 Posts
also fyi, for lemon laws in Canada the same problem needs to occur 3 times concurrently...

then they will step in and help.

i tried that too :S

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
All this for a brand new vehicle costing over $75K. Other than spectacular styling, the S5 leaves much to be desired. If the M3 wasn't another 3 series with better performance, I would have never bought this car. I truly regret switching to Audi from BMW.
Times like this you hope somebody from Audi is reading this and realizes how much damage poor quality and dealer issues can do to a brand.

Bad luck with all the problems.

·
Registered
374 Posts
#1 - This is a well known issue where the windows don't drop slightly upon opening the door because it's frozen in position with the rubber seal. I recall reading somewhere that there's some sort of lube you can put on the seal to help mitigate if not completely eliminate the problem.

#6 - If you are referring to wind noise, it is a design/physics issue. Nothing AoC can do about it.

#7 - Have you been able to demonstrate this muting to the dealership? You have to understand their position too. If they can't replicate the problem, they can't fix it or replace it because they'll end up eating the cost and not be reimbursed by AoC for the work.

#2/3/4/5 - These kinds or issues is exactly why as a personal rule, I avoid demo cars like a plague. Many people test driving like to beat the crap out of them. The more high performance the car is, the worst it gets.

I'm sorry to hear about your experience but one can just as easily find someone with multiple unresolved problems on a new car with any cars in that price range, including BMW.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I used a silicone lubricant on the window seals and have not had a problem with the windows freezing...been through two winters already.

Sorry to hear about your problems.

Totally agree with DeMOROlized....I would never buy a demo car. Especially a high performance car with a manual transmission. It only takes one person who can't drive a stick to ruin the transmission in a car they don't own. Caveat Emptor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
waiting for more drastic response from Audi Canada

Thanks for all the words of sympathy, guys.
Audi Canada is involved and they have sent their special techs to xxx Audi on several occasions, as the dealership is clueless!
DeMo, the noise from the sunroof is not wind (that would be a pretty dumb complaint). It's creaking and rattling noise, as if the screen is loose.
The muting issue is all over the internet and there are even YouTube videos of it. To state that the problem must reoccur at the dealership for me to get a remedy is like saying to a patient that his stomach pain has to happen in the doc's office in front of the doc for him to get some help...this is a well known issue to Audi and they're just going through their shtick of delay and deny tactics until you threaten to sue, which will soon be my last option.
As for the choice of buying a demo, I've owed 2 (both BMW) and never had issues.
I do agree that it's a poor choice for such a "performance" car (read sarcasm between the lines), but the tiny cost savings were not the impetus for my choice, rather the long wait for a new car. Having said that, this will be my last demo.
Finally, I may appreciate that multiple problems occur to other brands; however, the manner in which a brand deals with such issues; particularly when a buyer has switched brands from your biggest competitor to buy an expensive car in a tough economy, is the reason why Audi is just another VW with a different emblem. I run a business and I cannot imagine not going to the fullest extent to garner a positive brand experience with a customer who came to us from our competitors. Simply put, it's bad business and I can assure you that because of this, they have lost not only my future business, but the poor word-of-mouth this has generated among my colleagues and friends has already cost them the sales of 2 S5s.
Again, thank you all for the nice sentiments. I will try the lube for the door/window issue and hope that Audi Canada gets in act together for the remaining problems.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I'm sorry your car hasn't been up to your liking, but I take part in enough BMW forums to read as many complaints there, it's just part and parcel of owning a luxury car.

Just going to say that problem 1 affects BMWs as much as Audis; and any other frameless door windows. Problems 2-7 are disappointing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update on multiple issues with 2010 S5

As per my previous posts, my many issues with my S5 were finally escalated to the Office of the President at AOC.
Upon receipt of my 4-page letter detailing all of the issues and the lack of accountability from Queensway, AOC's representative at the Executive branch (not the main client services office) promptly called me back and set up a follow up with another Dealership, Audi Agincourt. I also received subsequent calls from the Service Manager and the Lead Technician at Agincourt.
My issues were taken seriously (presumably because a long letter to the CEO of Audi is what is takes) and I was advised that my request to have fixes for said issues was not unreasonable (again, a refreshing novelty, given the way I was treated by the last dealership).
As the main issues remaining were the door jamming, noise from the sunroof and the MMI/sound muting, the new dealership advised me that the door issue is well known to be a frameless door problem (which I had figured out by researching online and yet Queensway had no clue about) and that not much could be done about it.
The other 2 issues were fixed by replacing the radio and the sunroof. In fact, when they removed the sunroof, they found loose and missing components (which exonerates my challenges to the last dealership and only serves to demonstrate how they denied and evaded my requests to fix a legitimate problem).
I believe in giving credit when it’s due and in this case, the actions of the Executive Branch of AOC, combined with a Dealership who knew how to take care of a client, have resulted in me finally remembering why I bought this S5...because when functioning well...it's a great vehicle.
While I'm dismayed that it took a long letter written to the CEO of AOC, and months of my time wasted arguing and going back and forth with Queensway, to get a just remedy to the issues; all of which detracted from my brand experience with Audi, I am very pleased with Agincourt and will take my future business to them. It's not just that they correctly diagnosed and fixed what Queensway refused to even admit was wrong; but rather it's the way they handled what has now been proven to be a legitimate complaints from a reasonable client.
I look forward to enjoying this great ride and I hope these posts have helped in some way for those of you who have had challenges with dealerships.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
follow up on S5 issues - satisfaction, at last!

As per my previous posts, my many issues with my S5 were finally escalated to the Office of the President at AOC.
Upon receipt of my 4-page letter detailing all of the issues and the lack of accountability from Queensway, AOC's representative at the Executive branch (not the main client services office) promptly called me back and set up a follow up with another Dealership, Audi Agincourt. I also received subsequent calls from the Service Manager and the Lead Technician at Agincourt.
My issues were taken seriously (presumably because a long letter to the CEO of Audi is what is takes) and I was advised that my request to have fixes for said issues was not unreasonable (again, a refreshing novelty, given the way I was treated by the last dealership).
As the main issues remaining were the door jamming, noise from the sunroof and the MMI/sound muting, the new dealership advised me that the door issue is well known to be a frameless door problem (which I had figured out by researching online and yet Queensway had no clue about) and that not much could be done about it.
The other 2 issues were fixed by replacing the radio and the sunroof. In fact, when they removed the sunroof, they found loose and missing components (which exonerates my challenges to the last dealership and only serves to demonstrate how they denied and evaded my requests to fix a legitimate problem).
I believe in giving credit when it’s due and in this case, the actions of the Executive Branch of AOC, combined with a Dealership who knew how to take care of a client, have resulted in me finally remembering why I bought this S5...because when functioning well...it's a great vehicle.
While I'm dismayed that it took a long letter written to the CEO of AOC, and months of my time wasted arguing and going back and forth with Queensway, to get a just remedy to the issues; all of which detracted from my brand experience with Audi, I am very pleased with Agincourt and will take my future business to them. It's not just that they correctly diagnosed and fixed what Queensway refused to even admit was wrong; but rather it's the way they handled what has now been proven to be a legitimate complaints from a reasonable client.
I look forward to enjoying this great ride and I hope these posts have helped in some way for those of you who have had challenges with dealerships.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Great news - as I read through your posts, I was actually trembling - having been through some similar, but to a smaller degree with one of my Bimmers. Luckily for me at the time, as with you, and escalation to BMW NA proved worthwhile and together with a new dealer whose head was screwed on straight - even back in the 80s - made all the difference to me and kept me loyal and faithful to BMW for the next 20 years or so. Now in the Audi camp, mostly because of current styling (and yes closing the gap on performance too), and not yielding anything to technolgy or execution - I have had my S5 for a bit more than a year and have had NO issues that many have complained about here. My car has been essentially perfect and a lovely piece that I thoroughly enjoy.

I hope your new-found or re-newed vigor continues as my great experience in the past with folks who really care about their customers can show : a great product is really only great when it is accompanied by great service ...

·
Registered
374 Posts
Great to hear you got it sorted out. As for the 2 dealerships mentioned, based on stories I've heard over the years both from forums and people in the automotive business, I'd avoid Queensway personally, both for purchasing & servicing. The only one that's possibly worse is Audi Uptown. Agincourt on the other hand is very good for servicing your car.

·
Registered
85 Posts
mstoronto, would you pm me with the actual contanct information for the exec you wrote to. My car is giving me a lot of grief and my next step is to file a complaint with AOC. The dealer is not the problem it is their contacts with Audi will not provide direction or authorize repairs.

Thanks.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Can Quattro,
Mind me asking what sort of grief are you experiencing with your car?

·
Registered
85 Posts
033WAJ, here is the list that I left with the dealer. Some are very minor issues but I wanted to get everything on the table at once. My car has been at the dealer for 11 days this time. Audi will not advise the dealer what to do about the 2 clutch related issues. This is killing me because I loved the car when it was new, now I am paying for this beauthiful object that I get no enjoyment from.

The List:

-Sticky/Squeaky Clutch (major known isssue)
-Clutch pedal clicks annoyingly during operation
-When driving off after the vehicle has been parked (e.g. mornings and evenings) you can feel a mechanical clunk in the accelerator pedal, and hear what sounds like a noisy relay operate. This is before the clicks related to the doors automatically locking.
-Sunroof Trim Piece on driver's side loose and causing sunroof to bind on closure, removed to prevent damage.
-Vibration from open Sun Shade on passenger side, audible when going over bumps, or expansion joints.
-Driver’s Side Window cracking on closure at stop position intermittently, and cracking on open consistently.
-Passenger window slow/noisy operation, much worse when cold
-Driver and passenger windows freeze to window seal in winter
-Door Handle Lock Sensors occasionally do not work properly
-Cold Engine Start idle instability/shake (mild)
-Poor On-Centre feel on highway
-Poor steering feel on turn in to corners
-Steering wheel abruptly snaps to a different position when starting vehicle

·
Registered
388 Posts
Can Quattro,
That is quite a list. Sorry to hear about the troubles. Definitely sounds like AoC is your next step. Will take a look at the TSBs to see if there are any similar issues. Good luck on a quick resolve!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts