Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seems to be a prototype S5 with 2.0 TFSI and 265 HP (and 400 kilo's less!), read here:

Dutch

English

Can not imagine this happening..............:wall:

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
It can't be that far away can it? Oh well better for all of us then :)

If it looks anything like that, i'll keep this one.

·
Registered
356 Posts
2014 Audi S4 and S5 Massively Lighter, To Use Turbo Fours - Car News
Audi's technical-development chief spills the beans about a kinder, gentler, and faster generation of sporty cars.

BY MIKE DUSHANE, PHOTOGRAPHY BY YOSHI G. AND THE MANUFACTURER
March 2009

The current Audi S5 coupe is gorgeous, fast, and luxurious, but at over 3800 pounds, it’s not dainty. And the upcoming 2010 S5 cabriolet will weigh about 4300 pounds—more than a lot of mid-size SUVs—so forgive us for thinking Audi product planners were being intentionally ironic when they spoke at the car’s launch about their green philosophy and success in downsizing. They conveniently neglected to mention weight and focused on their powertrain strategy: a far more efficient supercharged 3.0-liter V-6 replaces the naturally aspirated 4.2-liter V-8 in the S5 cabriolet and S4 sedan for 2010, with the S5 coupe getting the new engine for 2011. These cars are claimed to achieve the same acceleration as the V-8 models while using 20 percent less fuel.
Still, any idiot knows you can only get so far with engine downsizing in a performance car that weighs more than two tons. So we sat down with Michael Dick, Audi's global head of product engineering, and asked him about how he squares the company’s stated smaller-is-better credo with the reality of its hefty cars.
Crash Dieting
We expected to hear some mumbo-jumbo about how safety standards and consumer expectations for features and refinement dictate ever-growing curb weights, but Dick's response shocked us: Audi is currently testing a prototype of the next-generation S5 that weighs 880 pounds less than the current car. He outlined the ongoing increase in the use of aluminum, magnesium, and high-strength steel as a main reason behind the mass reduction. The current TT's chassis is 69 percent aluminum, and the next-generation A6 (probably due in 2011 or 2012) will have an even higher proportion, Dick says. The amount for the next A4/A5/S4/S5 will be higher still when they debut, likely as 2014 models.
Dick also said that the supercharged 3.0-liter V-6 is an "intermediate step" for Audi. The next S4 and S5 will have lighter turbocharged four-cylinder engines. We can look at the TT lineup for direction: the base TT in the U.S. has a 2.0-liter turbo four that makes 200 hp. The TT S has the same basic engine, but makes 265 hp with beefed up internals and a bigger turbo. Future S4 and S5 models will have about 20 percent less weight and up to 30 percent less engine displacement than the current S5, making combined fuel economy in the mid to high 20-mpg range likely.
Good Looks, Lofty Goals
Although Dick told us the existing S5 prototype uses the current car's styling, we were able to get insight into the next car’s design from another company source, namely the Sportback concept shown this year at the Detroit auto show. This "concept" isn't a concept at all—it's the Audi A7 that will debut later this year in production form. Company insiders tell us that while the car's overall proportions won't be used on other models, its sinister headlights, more-defined single-frame grille, and blade-like taillights will be defining graphic elements on the next generation of Audis.
So it will look good, and Dick claims that even with all the safety and luxury features of today's car, it will weigh only 3000 pounds. He goes so far as to claim it laps Germany's famed Nürburgring Nordschleife eight seconds faster than the current S5. Skeptical? So are we. Industry sources tell us Audi hasn't yet taken enough weight out of the car's structure to achieve the stated goals, and we get the impression that Dick is telling us about the project to force his development team to make good on the claims. If you assume a car's engineering must be completed three years before it goes into production, they only have a couple of years to achieve these aggressive targets. We wish them the best of luck.

Jarod.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
This is a new article about the same subject.

Jarod.
No, it's not. HAWKiS5 already posted a link to this very same article in post #2 above. FYI, I have merged your thread with HAWKiS5's so that we don't have redundant information scattered between different threads.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Personally, I love turbo's, as well as the potential to easily turn up the power. However, a 4cyl engine is not the way to go IMO. I could see a twin turbo V6 having great potential. I loved the Turbo V8 on my Cobra. If they are concerned about fuel economy, they could make the top two gears a bit "taller" in order to drop RPMS for highway cruising (Corvette has been able to get 28+mpg using this technique, and our 400hp GTO gets about the same...1700rpms @ 70mph) That, as well as the weight saving techniques they have planned, could save quite a bit of fuel consumption.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Blah, looks too much like the 350/370Z, G35/37, Altima coupe, GTR, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, etc.
Beam me up scotty...

Looks more like a space ship than a car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Personally, I love turbo's, as well as the potential to easily turn up the power. However, a 4cyl engine is not the way to go IMO. I could see a twin turbo V6 having great potential. I loved the Turbo V8 on my Cobra. If they are concerned about fuel economy, they could make the top two gears a bit "taller" in order to drop RPMS for highway cruising (Corvette has been able to get 28+mpg using this technique, and our 400hp GTO gets about the same...1700rpms @ 70mph) That, as well as the weight saving techniques they have planned, could save quite a bit of fuel consumption.
ALL This coming from a country that sells a gallon of petrol for 1.50 euro,1 litre of petrol in Europe is approx 1.20 Euro, now multiple that by 3.55 and you get the price of a gallon in Europe, Smaller is the way to go, fact.

·
Registered
457 Posts
ALL This coming from a country that sells a gallon of petrol for 1.50 euro,1 litre of petrol in Europe is approx 1.20 Euro, now multiple that by 3.55 and you get the price of a gallon in Europe, Smaller is the way to go, fact.
Not fact, opinion. My Cobra ran on race gas $5.00 a gallon, so I know about how expensive fuel can get. I've lived in Europe in the past, and will be living there again in a few months, so I've also seen it from that perspective (We also don't have all the gas sipping diesel cars in the states that you have in Europe).

If you want an economy car, smaller is definitely better and folks in Europe have the option of going that route with the 2.0T and 3.0 Diesel. If you want to step up to the S5, then that car needs a better motor A turbo 6 or better yet a boosted V8 are great IMO. Most folks don't take fuel into consideration when buying a sports/GT car. I could not imagine 911 Porsche owners wanting a 4 cyl car, or Lamborghini downgrading to 6 cyl motors to save fuel.

If gas mileage is of concern, get the A5 with the smaller motor, if you're not so concerned, get the S5 with the bigger motor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'll go with that, people who can afford an S5 don't care about the cost of Fuel and fair play to them , but it was more of a bleat to how motorists in Ireland is shafted.
The cost of a new S5 is a whopping 105,000.Euro,thats 134k dollars, because of its high emissions, just like your Gas Guzzler Tax, we pay 2000Euro Road Tax, My insurance would treble from the A5, and every little shit would either rob it or key it.
Oh how I dream of owning an S5

·
Registered
457 Posts
I'll go with that, people who can afford an S5 don't care about the cost of Fuel and fair play to them , but it was more of a bleat to how motorists in Ireland is shafted.
The cost of a new S5 is a whopping 105,000.Euro,thats 134k dollars, because of its high emissions, just like your Gas Guzzler Tax, we pay 2000Euro Road Tax, My insurance would treble from the A5, and every little shit would either rob it or key it.
Oh how I dream of owning an S5
Holy crap, $135,000 for an S5?!?!?!? Hello R8. Hmmm, I wonder if I could sell my A5 over there :)

It's kind of funny, because I'm kind of wanting the S5 now. I've always like powerful cars, and although the A5 is great, I've been thinking about more power. I guess it's because I recently sold my 800rwhp Mustang and need a hp fix.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Holy crap, $135,000 for an S5?!?!?!? Hello R8. Hmmm, I wonder if I could sell my A5 over there :)

It's kind of funny, because I'm kind of wanting the S5 now. I've always like powerful cars, and although the A5 is great, I've been thinking about more power. I guess it's because I recently sold my 800rwhp Mustang and need a hp fix.
Have you driven the S5 yet? From personal experience, if you come from a high powered boosted car, the S5 will definitely not scratch the power itch. It may be worth while to wait until either VFE or PES shakes down their supercharger kit (maybe late this year? early next year?), and then pick up a second hand 08-09 S5 and boost it right away. Otherwise you may come out sorely disappointed. The car is very fun to drive, but at 280-300 whp, it's not exactly a neck snapper.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Have you driven the S5 yet? From personal experience, if you come from a high powered boosted car, the S5 will definitely not scratch the power itch. It may be worth while to wait until either VFE or PES shakes down their supercharger kit (maybe late this year? early next year?), and then pick up a second hand 08-09 S5 and boost it right away. Otherwise you may come out sorely disappointed. The car is very fun to drive, but at 280-300 whp, it's not exactly a neck snapper.
I drove an S5 (auto) a while back. It didn't feel fast too me, mostly because I was used to the 800rwhp Cobra...and as you said, everything pretty much paled in comparison. The A5 felt super slow, but it was for my daily driver (replacing my 07 Expedition) and I wanted it for the better fuel economy. Since I've sold the Cobra and haven't experienced the thrust of that turbo beast in a while, I am beginning to see the A5 is actually pretty quick...until I get into our 05 GTO, then it doesn't feel so quick any more.

I'll just have to settle for the fact I will never be happy with whatever power output a car has...I'll always want more.:no:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts