Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My S5 appears to have developed an engine fault and I wonder if anyone else has experienced something similar or has any idea what the problem might be. Apologies if this is a bit long on detail but I thought I should note everything that might be relevant. I've had the car since July 2008 and it has done just over 6,000 miles.

The first indication of the problem was on Friday. I was joining the motorway and accelerating to about 70mph when I experienced a sudden loss of power (which felt like hitting the rev limiter). The engine picked up again right away and the "EPC" warning light came on. I completed my journey very carefully and when I parked and restarted the car the warning light was gone. I managed to drive home later and the car seemed fine. I made a trip to the local supermarket on the weekend with no problem, but otherwise didn't use the car.

This morning after about 20 minutes of driving the engine cut-out completely in slow-moving traffic. This caused the power steering to fail but I managed to haul the car to the side of the road and was able to restart the engine. A few hundred metres further the engine cut-out again. I was a little low on fuel but the dial was only slightly into the red and there was no fuel warning light. I managed to limp the couple of miles back home but the engine kept cutting-out and was getting harder to restart each time.

I called Audi roadside assistance and the guy said the car had logged a 'low fuel pressure' fault three times. He also experienced the car cutting-out while idling, and he commented that the engine sounded 'lumpy'. He said he hadn't come across this issue on an A5/S5 and that he couldn't investigate further by the roadside. With him following me I drove the car to the dealership (about a mile away) with no incidents. At least when we got to the dealership he was able to confirm to the service manager that there was indeed a fault and he had experienced the problem himself.

The dealership called me before the end of the day to say they are checking with Audi's technical department because they have not been able to find the cause of the problem so far.

After searching on this forum I haven't found any similar issues reported with the S5, but some A5 owners with the 3.2 TFSI engine have apparently had problems with metal fragments in the fuel and/or engine. Actually, as this happened with a fairly low fuel load, it does seem fairly plausible that this might be due to some debris in the fuel being fed into the engine.

I will update this thread as things develop. In the meantime please let me know if you have any advice or suggestions as to the cause.

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
I'm not sure if the S5 has the same fuel hose as the A5 3.0TDI? But there's 2 workshop campaigns on at the moment, which might relate to your problems:

27C5 - A change to the power management system
20P2 - Replacement Fuel Hose

Low fuel pressure could be related to the fuel hose. You should have your dealership check to see if the above workshop campaigns apply to the S5.

One question, did your electrics stay on when the car cut out?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Have you experienced this fault when you have had plenty of fuel in the car? Do you buy supermarket 'cheaper' fuels? Have they considered that the fuel filter may be clogged due to poor fuel? Poor fuel pressure is usually due to a lack of fuel getting to the injectors but im sure you know this. Maybe they are waiting for the tech dept's response before changing fuel pumps and filters etc. Unfortunately the fuel filter in the S5 is located within the tank itself

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks very much for the comments so far, guys...

Rab, I think the electrics switched off when the engine cut, but I'm afraid I didn't really pay attention to it at the time and I can't be 100% sure.

Morski, I only ever use premium unleaded - either Shell V-Power or Tesco 99 RON. I do remember that Tesco had a fuel contamination problem a couple of years ago, but I searched on the internet and I haven't seen anything reported since then. I haven't had this problem until the last few days so no, I haven't had it with a full fuel load.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
By the way, Rab, I was up in Glasgow a few weeks ago on my way to somewhere near Oban for a friend's wedding. There are some beautiful roads up there and I wish I'd taken my S5 instead of hiring a car at Glasgow airport. I could spend all day just driving up and down beside Loch Lomond. :)

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
By the way, Rab, I was up in Glasgow a few weeks ago on my way to somewhere near Oban for a friend's wedding. There are some beautiful roads up there and I wish I'd taken my S5 instead of hiring a car at Glasgow airport. I could spend all day just driving up and down beside Loch Lomond. :)

Yea, there are some awesome roads up past loch lomond. Although you do get stuck behind the occasional sunday driver from time to time which is very frustrating. Either that or a caravan! :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yah my car is going in for the 2nd service (30000km) and there were two codes to correct relating to the fuel system / components.

I'm sure that in your case it's the fuel hose that's making your car act up.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Have you experienced this fault when you have had plenty of fuel in the car?
Good question, possible low fuel level, faulty sender unit in tank ? Doesn't sound like its going into limp mode as the fault clears. Unlikely to be result of 'crap' supermarket fuel. that stuff is low on additives but their tanks are usually fairly new and clean. Really need to read the whole thread but can't recall if you said you lost electrical power or not . I'll go back and read shall I !!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Had the same problem with my car a few weeks ago 3.2lt A5. It happened when I gave it the boot one day putting to the max and when I started to get into town it never felt quite right then cut out going round the roundabout and like you it was a fcuking effort to steer the car and get of the roundabout.The electrics did cut out but dipping the clutch and leaving the car in gear got it going again.

Will let you know if it happens again.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi

Sorry to hear about the troubles you get.

I had the exact same issue when first received my S5. I couldnt rev up as it felt that I was reaching the rev limiter around 3-4k rpm !

The car stay in the service for almost 20 days, as they could not figure out what the issue was. Btw the car was also registering low Fuel !

Finaly they realized that there was a 'blocked' fuel line on one of the cylinders on the one bank of the V, thus causing the car to 'shut' the whole bank.

Unfortunately, before discovering, they had to dismantle the whole engine.

If you ask them to contact AUDI GREECE, I am sure they will point the way out of this.

Hope to have helped !

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hi

Sorry to hear about the troubles you get.

I had the exact same issue when first received my S5. I couldnt rev up as it felt that I was reaching the rev limiter around 3-4k rpm !

The car stay in the service for almost 20 days, as they could not figure out what the issue was. Btw the car was also registering low Fuel !

Finaly they realized that there was a 'blocked' fuel line on one of the cylinders on the one bank of the V, thus causing the car to 'shut' the whole bank.

Unfortunately, before discovering, they had to dismantle the whole engine.

If you ask them to contact AUDI GREECE, I am sure they will point the way out of this.

Hope to have helped !
Cheer for you help, I am going to wait a while and see if it happens again and then I will take it to my dealer.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The dealership is still tinkering with my car. No diagnosis yet. Will update when I know more.

If it looks like it's going to take more than a week to resolve this I'll take a courtesy car from them. I've heard it said that nothing goes faster than a rental car but I guess a courtesy car should be just as fast, no? :D

And thanks, everyone, for your comments so far.

·
Registered
151 Posts
question : before it started cutting out, did you notice any peculiar performance, like a lack of power in the 2-3k rpm range, or an occasional engine misfire here or there? Mine just started acting up and im wondering if im going to end up dead on the side of the road soon.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No, Geoffrey, my car felt absolutely fine before this happened. There was no drop in performance anywhere in the rev range that I could detect, and certainly no misfires. Right up until the engine cut out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, the car has been with the dealership for a week and a half so I thought I'd post an update. Bottom line is that they still haven't diagnosed the cause of the problem.

They did order replacement fuel pressure limiting valves and fitted them today but apparently they didn't solve the problem. Prior to that they had ordered a replacement fuel pump but decided in the end that it wasn't the problem and they didn't fit it. So they are still conducting various tests under the direction of Audi technical but no clear progress to report.

At least they have been calling me daily to tell me what's going on. I'm really missing the S5 though and the courtesy car is an A4 1.9 diesel which I absolutely hate.
:thumbsdown:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well, the car has been with the dealership for a week and a half so I thought I'd post an update. Bottom line is that they still haven't diagnosed the cause of the problem.

They did order replacement fuel pressure limiting valves and fitted them today but apparently they didn't solve the problem. Prior to that they had ordered a replacement fuel pump but decided in the end that it wasn't the problem and they didn't fit it. So they are still conducting various tests under the direction of Audi technical but no clear progress to report.

At least they have been calling me daily to tell me what's going on. I'm really missing the S5 though and the courtesy car is an A4 1.9 diesel which I absolutely hate.
:thumbsdown:
They are doing exactly what my local guys did (ie. replace the fuel pmp etc.)
I wonder why AUDI has not issued a TSB for this yet...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, seems like the car may be fixed after almost two weeks. A faulty fuel pressure sensor appears to be the cause. Hopefully I will have the car back tomorrow.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry to keep responding to my own thread, but I thought it was worth documenting the conclusion in case it benefits someone else...

I got my car back today and the dealer is confident they have solved the problem by replacing the faulty fuel pressure sensor. Seems ok so far but I haven't done a longer trip yet.

As an apology for this problem arising and for taking two weeks to resolve it, the dealership gave me an Audi teddy bear and an Audi DTM waterproof jacket. That was kind of them, and the wife likes the bear, but...

Sadly, they had managed to put a nasty dent in the driver's door and a minor dent below the passenger door. I could have cried! The interior was also filthy (why didn't they put covers on the seats - they're pearl silver for crying out loud!). Hopefully the dents will be repaired on Friday, but at least the dealer is taking full responsibility for sorting this out.
:wall:

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Man that sucks, How annoying. i dont understand how these so called garages can damage customers cars so easily and so often too. Do they share thier workshops with blind folded people on scooters? I think you should be demanding more than a free teddy and a jacket; like free servicing for the next 3 years!!! serioulsy they could easily do that much for you at least.
Well i hope the Five is fixed this time too. Good luck getting it sorted and make sure you go over the car with some binoculars after the repair

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.