Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2007 S5 4.2 V8 Manual
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EML light has just come on and is showing the following codes.
P2088 Bank 1 Camshaft A (Intake) Position Actuator
P2092 Bank 2 Camshaft A (Intake) Position Actuator
P2090 Bank 1 Camshaft B (Exhaust) Position Actuator
P2094 Bank 2 Camshaft B (Exhaust) Position Actuator
P2009 Intake Manifold Flap; Bank 1 J757
All code show at the same time.
I have been changing parts left right and centre including the 4 camshaft actuators to try and cure a misfire between 2500 and 3000 rpm with no luck and now this, i have searched regarding this and all i found was someone saying that he had 2 blown fuses but all my fuses are ok.
Anyone ever have these codes show all at once?
My car is a 2007 4.2 v8

·
Registered
142 Posts
Did you use vcs/vag com and reset faults after you swapped parts?

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2007 S5 4.2 V8 Manual
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you use vcs/vag com and reset faults after you swapped parts?

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk
There was no light on when i changed the parts (6 months ago) but i did a check with VCS for codes before and after and there were none stored.

·
Registered
2007 S5 4.2 V8 Manual
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have put the old actuators back in the car today and the EML is still coming on. i have noticed that when i clear the code the light comes back on every second restart of the car. I can reset the codes and drive long distance without the light coming on.

·
Registered
Audi A5 f5 3.0 TDI Quattro S line S tronic Virtual Cockpit Driving assist pack
973 Posts
Question does your car show the following symptoms:
  • Hard, or even no start conditions may be present in some cases
  • The engine may exhibit some power loss
  • Idling speed may fluctuate
  • Idling may be rough, and/or erratic, or the engine may not idle at all
  • Fuel consumption may increase
If any of the above then I’d say that these could also cause the issues in relation to the P20XX fault codes. Thought they’re not exclusive with one another and can be a combination or sorts.

• Damaged, burnt, shorted, disconnected, or corroded wiring and/or connectors
  • Low system voltages caused by defects in the battery and/or charging system. Note however that these conditions will almost invariably be indicated by dedicated codes
  • Defective Oil Control Valve
  • Misaligned timing marks due to careless assembly after major repairs to the timing system or assembly of an engine. Note that this will usually be indicated by codes other than P2088, such as codes relating to excessively advanced or retarded valve timing
  • Failed or failing PCM. Note that this is a rare event, and the fault must be sought elsewhere before any control module is replaced

Hope this helps!

~Alex

·
Registered
973 Posts
Oh and from the looks of your codes, low voltage seems to be the first call of actions considering the P2009 fault code. I’d check your battery/replace and also check all the wiring harnesses thoroughly for wear and tear or even corrosion from the elements.

~Alex

·
Registered
2007 S5 4.2 V8 Manual
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Alex thanks for the reply.
The car starts and idles fine but it does seem as if it is really down on power and does seem a little sore on fuel this past few weeks. I have another post about a misfire between 2000rpm and 3000rpm which i cant get to the bottom of, thinking this could be part of the problem. What i have noticed is that there is a different exhaust note on the passenger side of the car, more of a spitting sound than the deep rumble from the driver side ( will try and get a video up ).
Battery seems good, but i will go and get it checked.
I have had no work done on the timing or engine apart from the starter being replaced a few month ago.
Oil control valves had been replaced with new then put the old ones back in to rule out faulty new parts.
Will get a better look at the wiring when i get a chance.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I’m not sure if that’s relatable to the engine codes,

this is just my opinion, but sounds very sputtery, almost as if the manifold gasket has a leak so the exhaust has isnt going Through to the exhaust system.

also worth noting, does the exhaust fumes smell like rotten eggs? (Don’t smell for too long please 👌🏻🤪)

if so that’s also a tell tale sign of a failing catalytic converter.

~Alex

·
Registered
973 Posts
Also the darn shame thing about the 4.2l V8 S5 engine was the way the engine was designed, which meant that there was always going to be a build up of carbon too. It heavily affects the performance and reliability. Has the car ever has carbon cleaning? Walnut blasting?

~Alex

·
Registered
2007 S5 4.2 V8 Manual
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had Terraclean do a carbon clean and injector clean on the car shortly after i bought it which did help as the car ran better for a while after, (i also fitted an oil catch can before this was done). The misfire returned after a couple of months but i never had the EML come on before even driving the car at a steady rev to get it to misfire. I had them back to do a smoke test to see if there could have been a vacuum leak but that was all good. Its bad enough trying to sort the misfire without now trying to sort this recent problem lol

·
Registered
973 Posts
To be fair though it's a 15 year old car. What's the mileage?

~Alex

·
Registered
2007 S5 4.2 V8 Manual
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry for the late reply Alex, my car has just under 78000 miles.
Ok so a few weeks ago i pulled the car in to check the wiring for any breaks and the first thing i done was recheck all the fuses, found the 10 amp fuse under the ECU had blown (it was ok first time i checked) New fuse fitted and all good so far no EML, but misfire still there and exhaust note still the same.
I really think the intake is going to have to come off and do a carbon clean by hand.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.