Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the car into the dealer yesterday after complaining about the behavior of the DRLs winking when the signal was on. I provided the VAG-COM recipe & the service dept advised they didn't need to use VAG-COM to fix & it wouldn't be a problem to alter the behavior. The service adviser said that they basically hook the car up to the "Audi 5051 diag computer" & switch out the module that controls the light behavior with one for another country that "corrects" the DRL winking. Of course, when the service adviser came back about 30 minutes later she said they couldn't do it. :( She said they tried to reprogram, the computer started throwing errors, and that they needed to download a module from Germany to possibly get it working but it might raise red flags. So no joy from the dealer. Adviser said she had a personal VAG_COM & that she might be able to do it herself if I wanted. So now I'm thinking, maybe I should just get my own cable!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Took the car into the dealer yesterday after complaining about the behavior of the DRLs winking when the signal was on. I provided the VAG-COM recipe & the service dept advised they didn't need to use VAG-COM to fix & it wouldn't be a problem to alter the behavior. The service adviser said that they basically hook the car up to the "Audi 5051 diag computer" & switch out the module that controls the light behavior with one for another country that "corrects" the DRL winking. Of course, when the service adviser came back about 30 minutes later she said they couldn't do it. :( She said they tried to reprogram, the computer started throwing errors, and that they needed to download a module from Germany to possibly get it working but it might raise red flags. So no joy from the dealer. Adviser said she had a personal VAG_COM & that she might be able to do it herself if I wanted. So now I'm thinking, maybe I should just get my own cable!
Just locate someone locally or get your own cable. I frankly would be concerned about whether they screwed up any of the coding when they attempted to do it......

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just locate someone locally or get your own cable. I frankly would be concerned about whether they screwed up any of the coding when they attempted to do it......
Ya I was a bit worried but the car seems fine. After reading some of the VAG-COM posts, I out to be able to get my own cable & do this myself.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
If you decide not to take your service advisor up on her offer or if you don't want to purchase your own cable, you can try searching for someone else locally who has one. I was successful in finding someone locally who let me use his cable. I found him through this site: http://www.vagcomlocator.com

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you decide not to take your service advisor up on her offer or if you don't want to purchase your own cable, you can try searching for someone else locally who has one. I was successful in finding someone locally who let me use his cable. I found him through this site: http://www.vagcomlocator.com
Thx TX. After staring at it some more I went ahead and ordered the cable. I love tinkering with that sort of thing anyway. Interestingly, I ordered the cable yesterday UPS ground & it will be here today. Fast. I'm sure it will take me longer to do the HEX/binary conversion & get the DRLs reprogrammed! :)

·
Registered
415 Posts
You don't have to convert HEX/binary anymore for that particular mod. Ross-Tech has added a labeled checkbox to the VCDS long coding helper. Reversing the "winking" behavior is now as simple as unchecking a box.

And there's no reason a VAS 5051 can't do this mod. It has even more control over the car's systems than VCDS (formerly VAG-COM), which attempts to emulate a VAS 5051. The issue is almost certainly traced to the fact that the VAS makes it harder to do things that the factory doesn't really want you to do, because there are no helpful interface shortcuts for the "undocumented" things. Long coding has to be done completely manually. So while the computer is fully capable of doing the operation, the user on the other end has to do some real thinking. And if your service department wasn't good at doing the long coding math, they would have found themselves unable to do the mod. So in this case, I'd be more than willing to blame user error, and instructions like "turn off Mod 09, Byte 03, bit 7" may not have been enough information for them (though it should be for anyone that understands long coding). For the record, other service departments have done the same thing with the same computer.

But there are no worrries about restoring your car to the way it was after they screwed it up...the VAS does make it easy to put things back to they way they came from the factory with the press of a button.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You don't have to convert HEX/binary anymore for that particular mod. Ross-Tech has added a labeled checkbox to the VCDS long coding helper. Reversing the "winking" behavior is now as simple as unchecking a box.
Perfect! I should be able to figure out a checkbox. I had a feeling the dealer could do it if they really wanted to or had the experience. They definitely did not have the comfort level to make the adjustment. Based on what they were explaining to me after the failed attempt, the 5051 was 'pushing back' & really didn't want them to do the mod easily. So just like you said, its an experience thing. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update- Got the cable, loaded the latest software (v805), & hooked it up to the car. Total time to do the lights once hooked up: about 3 minutes being carefull. :D No more winking! :D I noticed that Ross has added some additional 'recipes' to their site; I'll have to check those out!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts