Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that most folks have chosen to order their S5 with optional door trim inlays (Stainless Steel, Carbon Atlas or Gray Vavona); versus the standard Brushed Aluminum.

Is the standard brushed aluminum trim that bad?

Is it a real aluminum trim or a plastic faux?

Can someone with the brushed aluminum trim tell me what it's like?

I think it would work best with the leather seat choice I'm looking at, but I can't decide since I have not seen brushed aluminum in person. And it's cheaper!

Help!

Thanks....

·
Registered
59 Posts
Nothing wrong with the standard stainless inlays IMO. In fact, I was thinking the same thing a few days ago.

My guess is that adding the trim is relatively cheap with the overall price of the car and others don't mind spending that little bit more to give the car that extra flair and make it their own.

Here's a pic of the standard stainless for ya....

·
Registered
141 Posts
On the S-line i tested out, the trim on the doors was real metal. The other silver stuff around shifter/gauges etc was plastic.

·
Registered
275 Posts
IMO the standard A5 aluminum hologram inlay looks a little 'thin' and cheap. The S-line brushed aluminum trim looks pretty good. The stainless steel mesh looks fairly classy, nice with all interiors. The carbon finish looks great with black or red, but not with brown or silver interiors.

I went with the stainless steel mesh in my S5 (silver leather)- looks great, and the center console in piano black is nice. I find it all both elegant and sporty - but not in your face sporty like the carbon....

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
The brushed aluminum looks gaudy around the elegant black gauges because there is just too much contrast. It looks fine on the door, but the thin silver against the black console looks like a pretty woman with cheap makeup.

If you have the dinero, I would definitely go stainless as it gives you a crisper look on the doors and gives you the sweet piano black around the console...

·
Registered
97 Posts
From what I know Audi uses only real materials, so the wood should be wood and carbon should be carbon. I might be wrong.

·
Registered
204 Posts
anyone know if you can buy the trim as a kit to change it after you get your car. I ordered my S5 with the std trim but might want to change it to the carbon. Easiest would of course be to change my order at this point.
Just want to know if it would be possible.

Tonny

·
Registered
907 Posts
anyone know if you can buy the trim as a kit to change it after you get your car. I ordered my S5 with the std trim but might want to change it to the carbon. Easiest would of course be to change my order at this point.
Just want to know if it would be possible.

Tonny
No it's very expensive to change it later. When I got mine it was a demo model with carbon trim and I prefer the standard brushed ali, so I asked audi if it could be changed. I can't remember what the cost was but it was many times the list price. I think the Ali is

1 - 8 of 8 Posts