Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time at this post. Looking to order an S5 from the local dealership but surprised to find out that they want a $6K deposit which they say is refundable. I am somewhat surprised that they want that much as a deposit. I can see if there was some wild colors etc but the paint and interior colors are by no means wild. I only put $500 down as a deposit when I ordered a Porsche. Seems a bit out of line. Any comments on deposits put down by others appreciated.

·
Registered
198 Posts
1K refundable.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
It varies by dealership.

$2,000 (refundable) is not unusual in my area, but $6,000 seems a bit high. Where are you located? Can you please update your profile to reflect your location?

·
Registered
134 Posts
$6K sounds crazy

I gave my dealer $500 last November, which he did not cash. They know that if you end up backing out, someone else will be in line for the car...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That was a point I made to them. These cars would not sit 24 hrs before being sold. That is a huge amount to put down. I could see $1K but 6K seems over the edge.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I had to put $2500 down but that was because I special ordered a different paint on mine I was told. (normally $1000 I think)

Tonny

·
Registered
218 Posts
1k deposit here with 6 month wait...

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was also $500 refundable. They made sure to spell it out very clearly on my initial order that it was refundable up to date of delivery.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all for your input. Just need to decide to what to do. No incentives from the dealer other than putting down 6G's. Still seems a bit odd. If you are giving them that much down some dealer incentives should be given. Will keep all informed about what happens.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I think it's a pretty s#%ty deal myself. I didn't have to put down a deposit, which wasn't something I negotiated - I was ready to write out the check and the sales manager didn't need it (since I had purchased cars from them before). A $1000 deposit wouldn't be out of line..

What's out of line about $6000 is that up to now, we have seen people have to wait months before they actually get an allocation to build the car. (and in some cases, for S5 manuals particularly, up to a year for delivery) That's way too long to be out $6000, and almost appears to be interest free cash flow for the dealer. The deposit is refundable, so what does a check for $6000 do for that dealer that a check for $1000 didn't do, if you can walk away at the end?

But the real concern is this. You are about to order a car that will be on you mind from now until you receive it. Do you trust this dealer to give you honest and frequent updates when you call? Do you have a good feeling about the sales guy you are working with? I just think, if you start out this relationship with the dealer and have questions about their ethics, it's not going to get better as the process moves on.

·
Registered
76 Posts
$1k refundable and a nine month wait. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I put $5K down and got it in writing that I would be paying MSRP. When I called and was notified my car finally was built and shipped, the dealer asked if I knew that S5s are going for $10K over MSRP now. I said "sure glad you have my $5k deposit, I have my comm# and I have it writing that it will be sold to me for MSRP!" . Dealer got very quiet and said please FAX the documentation in. I had to FAX it in twice, to dealer and his manager. But got it for MSRP, needless to say they did not seem to pleased. So I say pay the deposit and get everything in writing (or they might sell YOUR car to the highest bidder)!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I put $5K down and got it in writing that I would be paying MSRP. When I called and was notified my car finally was built and shipped, the dealer asked if I knew that S5s are going for $10K over MSRP now. I said "sure glad you have my $5k deposit, I have my comm# and I have it writing that it will be sold to me for MSRP!" . Dealer got very quiet and said please FAX the documentation in. I had to FAX it in twice, to dealer and his manager. But got it for MSRP, needless to say they did not seem to pleased. So I say pay the deposit and get everything in writing (or they might sell YOUR car to the highest bidder)!
Good for you! :) It's nice to hear that the dealer was not able to take advantage of that situation like he really wanted to.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Great stuff mate. Well done! :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
$2K

Deposit was $2K back in Dec '07 for an '08, fully refundable. Current ETA is October 10 for an '09. Given that '09 pricing and options are changed from '08, nothing is binding.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Deposit was $2K back in Dec '07 for an '08, fully refundable. Current ETA is October 10 for an '09. Given that '09 pricing and options are changed from '08, nothing is binding.
I thought the dealer might try that on me that my agreement was no longer valid since the order changed to a 09 from 08 and also that I was now on my 3rd dealer representative from the one that signed the agreement. However, when I faxed in what I had in writing on getting it for MSRP, I also stated that I have no control over turnover of Reps at the Dealer nor do I have control of delays in production in Germany that necessitated an automatic change from 2008 to 2009 models (I also added some options), therefore I consider the document binding. I would still argue if you have something in writing and put down a deposit that getting it for current MSRP is binding (maybe not getting your 2009 model for 2008 MSRP).

·
Registered
253 Posts
First time at this post. Looking to order an S5 from the local dealership but surprised to find out that they want a $6K deposit which they say is refundable. I am somewhat surprised that they want that much as a deposit. I can see if there was some wild colors etc but the paint and interior colors are by no means wild. I only put $500 down as a deposit when I ordered a Porsche. Seems a bit out of line. Any comments on deposits put down by others appreciated.
My deposit was supposed to be 5k, but then got lowered to 1k???

1 - 18 of 18 Posts