Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

I'm in the market for a 2009-2010 manual S5 V8 Coupe and one thing I cannot see is whether Australia got the "Audi sports differential" (rear LSD) as standard equipment on the V8 models?

The reason why I am putting this in the Aussie forum section is because it appears that the US didn't get the sports diff as standard equipment and am wondering if Australia possibly got a different standard spec. If you take a look at this PDF (official S5 Coupe spec/options list written June 2011) you will see that the sports diff isn't even offered as an option, or marked as being included in one of the Audi Drive Select packages. This makes me think that is was possibly included as standard on at least the V8 S5's in Australia.

Alternatively, if you take a look at this PDF (S5 Cabriolet, also June 2011) you can see that the sports differential is part of the $6,900 Drive Select package.

Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
1,294 Posts
I'm not in Aus, but if it's not listed as a standard feature or option (and if ADS is an option it couldn't be standard unless ADS was) I would lean towards it not being available as an option initially. Worth checking with the local distributor - even if they're useless they ought to be able to check simple stuff like this!

Good luck with search

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Adrian, it appears that you were correct! I received this reply from Audi Australia:

"We can advise the Audi S5 has only ever had the Sports differential available as an option."

D'oh!

Having said this though, I have a friend with a tuned Mk6 Golf R which apparently runs only the centre diff and the EDL, same as the S5. I can confirm this fires out of hairpins really well and traction was never an issue. He even said it oversteers very slightly! By the sounds of it, the torque split of the Golf R is more front-biased so it sounds like the Audi might be even a bit more fun in the twisties!

·
Super Moderator
1,294 Posts
They're quite a different steer due to the engine layout and haldex vs torsen diffs - Golf is a great pocket rocket for sure though. Best try both :thumbsup:

Sounds like the sports diff was an option, so just look for the ADS buttons on the centre console and then look under 'car' for drive select individual setup options - anything mentioned there that can be tweaked is fitted to that example (steering, damping, diff)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I've just read up on wikipedia the differences between the Torsen and Haldex setups. The Torsen is definitely the setup I would prefer. It sounds like it's setup more for a rear-drive experience rather than the front-drive experience the Haldex will promote.

Having said this, the Golf R is damn impressive! I went for a very spirited ride with my friend's modded one (suspension, lightweight wheels, various engine powerups) and I don't even recall hearing any wheelspin whatsoever even out of 1st gear hairpins @ WOT. Very impressive. He's also got massive 6-pot brakes that just about put you through the windscreen.

I'm fairly set on the S5 - love the V8 rumble! 4-cyl's just don't do it for me :) This particular one is quite special - I'll post more when I actually have the car. I believe the current owner is on this forum too.

Unfortunately the particular car I'm after doesn't have ADS. However I have read about some recoding where I can at least alter the throttle and steering maps. Upon reading more about Quattro though, and from my experience during the test drive, I don't think that wheelspin will be much of an issue. It may have slightly more understeer than one with a rear LSD but I doubt I'd be pushing it hard enough on the road to even notice this (which is the opposite of what others have said but oh well, I have no way of knowing!) and I don't think I'll ever track the car either.

·
Super Moderator
1,294 Posts
Don't confuse Haldex and Torsen - you don't have a choice unless you're looking at different models. Basically all longitudinal engined models are Torsen and the transverse (A3/TT etc) use Haldex

The difference with the quattro sport diff on Torsen models is that instead of a 'dumb' mechanical diff in the back you get some electronic control that varies how aggressively the diff acts.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't confuse Haldex and Torsen - you don't have a choice unless you're looking at different models. Basically all longitudinal engined models are Torsen and the transverse (A3/TT etc) use Haldex
Ah yes sorry, I wasn't being clear. I just meant that I'd prefer the Torsen setup in the S5 vs the Haldex setup in the Golf R.

I've also read a bit around how the various AWD systems work across the major brands and it seems the Quattro is one of the best! :thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts