Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There,

I'm from Australia, and have just been offered a job in Hong Kong. I've spent a lot of time in HK (love it), and I know how easy it is to get around without a car.

However... I am curious to know what the cost is on an 08/09 S5?
Are they easy enough to find 2nd hand?
Are they the same V8s found in other markets?
What are the costs of running?
Goverment/tax costs?
Insurance?

I'll be working there on a Visa for 6-12 months and possibly leading to a permanent basis. Will probably only use the car on weekends for fun.

Any feedback from those of you who have purchased/owned Audis or other high performance luxury cars in Hong Kong would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
57 Posts
A S5 in Hk will cost you about (HKD)$500k+ for a 2008+ model.

Insurance will be a little expensive, depending if you can carry your NCB over from OZ or not. If you can't, insurance can set you back near HKD$15k a year.

There is still the general vehicle registration, which will prob sting you about HKD$8k (somewhere around there, can't remember exactly now).

Petrol is expensive too. I fill my 2.0T, and costs me about $1k per tank, which at best can last me about 380km.

Despite all that, its great driving here! You will be able to find a S5 2nd hand easy.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Dexta!

Might need someone to show me some of these lovely roads when I get there and pick up my Audi! :)

Still confirming a few things with contract at the moment. Workplace is actually in Guangzhou, however I can choose where I want to live. I'm thinking its worth the extra money and travel time to live in HK. What are your thoughts on Guangzhou?

I've previously lived in Causeway Bay and it was lovely, felt so safe at night, going for walks at 3am around the island without a worry in the world. I've heard China isn't so safe though... ?

·
Registered
198 Posts
If it's Guangzhou in China, I think the commute from the HK/China border to Guanzhou is about 2.5 hours. With no traffic. And if you set up shop in Causeway Bay, that's another 1.5 hours maybe.

Also, you have to take into account crossing immigration borders every workday. (Exit HK, enter China. Exit China, enter HK.)

If you live in HK, you can drive as far as just before the border. Then you gotta cross into China (mostly on foot). If you get another car in China, you can drive to Guangzhou.

Hope this helps.

PS. It is possible to set up your HK car to drive into China, but that's gonna cost another HK$ 350,000 (approximately). Plus, you're gonna have to pay for registration and insurance for the "China side" too.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have never actually been to Guangzhou, so I can't really comment.

To me, all the travelling seems quite a lot of effort, 2-3 hours one way, twice a day will be taxing.

Hk is a fantastic place tho, like you said, very safe. There are lots to do here, nightlife is exciting, great food. Can't go wrong really. A bit hard to order after market parts tho I must say lol

·
Registered
198 Posts
Depending on where you live in HK, your commute to work might require you to cross tunnels. A (very) few are free, the rest are from HK$ 3 to HK$ 50 per use.
Transport Department - Tunnels & Bridges

In China, (I think all) highways have tolls too. But definitely cheaper than HK.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thankyou so much for all the info guys. Definitely paints a good picture of what to expect.
At this stage, I'm thinking I'll settle in and see where I decide to end up living. I'd much rather live in HK than Guangzhou... doesn't sound too nice there. I can afford HK, it's just the daily travel that would get annoying. Even considering costs of a driver...
Would be great to get into the Audi scene over there though. Maybe if you guys go for a cruise at some stage I could ride along with someone and check out the roads?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Sure! Welcome to join/be friends! :)
HK has quite a bit to offer despite its very limited space.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That is a hell of a commute! Im sure the mainland will try and hit you with the extra tax that is due on cars here as well.

From my experience its difficult to find good 2nd hand cars on the mainland. It might be different in the South but here in Shanghai I had to buy new. I didn't have to go for an A5 but I wanted to. All in a 2.0T with Shanghai number plates came to US$90K! It makes me a little sick thinking I could have had an RS for that back home but whatever.

I love the A5 and there are very few around so it makes a change from the hordes or A4L /A6L that are around.

Buying in China is straight forward as long as you have all your documents in line. The experience at an Audi dealer is more like Ikea on a Saturday afternoon, the dealer I bought from was selling over 100 cars a week so you get little service but it all happens quickly.

Enjoy your car when you get it and there are some great empty roads to have fun on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts