Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put 500 miles on my S5 this weekend. Combo of two lanes, freeways, city and country driving. I tried to be objective in comparing this car to my previous audis (especially S4s, A8/S8, and TT roadster). The previous cars frankly are no match for this one. Power distribution at all speeds and in all gears is phenomenal and consistently smooth. Engine sound stokes testosterone production. New weight distribution and rear wheel power bias gives car much more stability and improved handling. It just feels "tight". With acceleration car seems to "sit back" and front end lifts a bit similar to rear wheel sports cars yet you know you have quattro control. Very comfortable in front for me and my son for trip but a little tight in back for my wife. MMI phone system works well and given very quiet interior it was easy to talk at normal levels. Navigation system user friendly and pretty cool. B&O sound system worth the price. Self adjusting lights around curves surprising helpful. Running lights, and I suspect car's appearance, certainly head turners. Although I only spent 30 minutes or so in an R8 this car has a lot of same feel to it at half the price and twice as practical. Gas mileage with somewhat aggressive driving was 20 mpg. In my humble opinion it is the best car Audi has to offer taking everything into account. My only complaint is where was the i-pod cable to interface with the car. Please don't tell me I got a skibag that I'll use rarely but no connecting cable???

·
Registered
318 Posts
(Regarding the cable)

Not only that, the cable is rediculously expensive for what it is (around 50 USD). I think the reason that Audi doesn't include it is because there are three different options. You can get the (1) AMI to mini plug, (2) AMI to USB, or (3) AMI to iPod. I bought the iPod adapter for my Touch and it really is great with the S5's MMI system. However, I am going to put it off to the side and get the USB cable instead because I have an extra 100GB drive that I'd rather use to store/play MP3s. I figure it's a waste to buy the 16GB Touch just to leave it in the glove compartment.

I put 500 miles on my S5 this weekend. Combo of two lanes, freeways, city and country driving. I tried to be objective in comparing this car to my previous audis (especially S4s, A8/S8, and TT roadster). The previous cars frankly are no match for this one. Power distribution at all speeds and in all gears is phenomenal and consistently smooth. Engine sound stokes testosterone production. New weight distribution and rear wheel power bias gives car much more stability and improved handling. It just feels "tight". With acceleration car seems to "sit back" and front end lifts a bit similar to rear wheel sports cars yet you know you have quattro control. Very comfortable in front for me and my son for trip but a little tight in back for my wife. MMI phone system works well and given very quiet interior it was easy to talk at normal levels. Navigation system user friendly and pretty cool. B&O sound system worth the price. Self adjusting lights around curves surprising helpful. Running lights, and I suspect car's appearance, certainly head turners. Although I only spent 30 minutes or so in an R8 this car has a lot of same feel to it at half the price and twice as practical. Gas mileage with somewhat aggressive driving was 20 mpg. In my humble opinion it is the best car Audi has to offer taking everything into account. My only complaint is where was the i-pod cable to interface with the car. Please don't tell me I got a skibag that I'll use rarely but no connecting cable???

·
Registered
273 Posts
(Regarding the cable)

Not only that, the cable is rediculously expensive for what it is (around 50 USD). I think the reason that Audi doesn't include it is because there are three different options. You can get the (1) AMI to mini plug, (2) AMI to USB, or (3) AMI to iPod. I bought the iPod adapter for my Touch and it really is great with the S5's MMI system. However, I am going to put it off to the side and get the USB cable instead because I have an extra 100GB drive that I'd rather use to store/play MP3s. I figure it's a waste to buy the 16GB Touch just to leave it in the glove compartment.
Quattrings,

I'm not sure I get it. When I pick up my S5 (hopefully sometime this month), which option should I go for on the cable? I have my entire music collection on my iPod. I was hoping to be able actually to have the ability to control the iPod with the MMI system using the cable, and to be able to see on the Navi screen what I would normally see on my iPod's (although, perhaps, without the album cover art). I have no intention of hooking up some sort of external hard drive. If I want to use the system as I described, first of all, can I do that and second, assuming I can, which cable is the one for me?

BTW, Boomer, thanks for the review. Got my blood pumping even more for this car.

·
Registered
318 Posts
You will want to get the standard iPod to AMI cable that retails for $50. I just removed mine and the part no. is: 4F0 051 510E You won't be disappointed, the MMI functions just like it is supposed to. Audi did a great job interfacing the two components and to answer your question, it will display what you are used to seeing with looking directly at your iPod screen.

I was reading the S5 manual and it appears a USB drive will function in a similar way as well. You just dump your MP3s into a directory and it will play through there. Since I have the iPod Touch, it is limited to 16GB but my external drive is 100GB. If it has close to the functionality of the iPod, I would rather use the USB so that I can use my iPod for other things. Just unfortunate that I need to purchase another $50 cable again...

Quattrings,

I'm not sure I get it. When I pick up my S5 (hopefully sometime this month), which option should I go for on the cable? I have my entire music collection on my iPod. I was hoping to be able actually to have the ability to control the iPod with the MMI system using the cable, and to be able to see on the Navi screen what I would normally see on my iPod's (although, perhaps, without the album cover art). I have no intention of hooking up some sort of external hard drive. If I want to use the system as I described, first of all, can I do that and second, assuming I can, which cable is the one for me?

BTW, Boomer, thanks for the review. Got my blood pumping even more for this car.

·
Registered
34 Posts
when you guys talk about a usb external drive are you talking about a thumb drive style device? it cant be that easy surely?

also, is this cable only available from audi and where does it plug in on the s5 exactly?

thanks,

julie

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Boomer, is your MMI Voice Command active and functioning? If so, what have you been able to control via voice?

·
Registered
275 Posts
don't understand where this thread is going.....

you ccan compare the s5 to other cars, for better or for worse - bottom line is your comparing probably fairly high performance cars, which the S5 fits into - and it ultimately will break down to functionality (decent for the S5, but not necessarily the best), and styling (superior to the rest)......

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
S5France-I guess I thought the thread was pretty obvious. Having driven audis for 20 years I was simply comparing MY experiences with my previous cars. Also as I said "all things considered" I think this is audi's best car. "All things considered" implies stying, functionality, performance etc. Obviously, the A8 is a better cruising sedan and the R8 is a better performance car but each lacks something the S5 has in my opinion. Again I was just trying to relay my audi experiences---nothing more.

·
Registered
487 Posts
<< Deleted >>

·
Registered
275 Posts
i understand your original thread, it's just that it got hijacked into essentially ipod memory and cabling issues, which didn't seem to be the original intent of the thread.... glad to see it's back on track though ;)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i understand your original thread, it's just that it got hijacked into essentially ipod memory and cabling issues, which didn't seem to be the original intent of the thread.... glad to see it's back on track though ;)
You are right, it did go off to other areas didn't it. Sorry about the terse reply, was on call at hospital all night and misinterpreted the response. My BAD.:eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts