Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Add another to the tally. Clutch throwout bearing is being replaced on my '08 S5 with 15K miles. It did not fail, but with my sticky clutch pedal and the known issue with the early batch of throwout bearings, Audi is apparently wary and wants to replace it on a cautionary basis. Will let people know whether or not this'll include clutch and pressure plate.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am experiencing the same stickiness with my clutch, and was hoping it would eventually go away! thats not the case, I only have 3k on the car. What is the fix and how long will your car be at service?
goodluck with everything

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fix is, um, the throwout bearing. Other parts that *may* be addressed could be the clutch disc, pressure plate, and flywheel, as well as the clutch master cylinder and clutch slave cylinder (the latter two are, IMO, the most likely culprits in the stickiness). Throwout bearing replacement will likely eliminate the crunching/grinding feel in the pedal travel (another symptom I had), but I'm not sure that the it bearing will have any impact on the stickiness. We'll see. The car went in on Monday, and will be done by Thursday or Friday. Am also waiting for a thermostat switch to be sent to Seattle from Germany; that is supposed to take ten days or so.

·
Registered
314 Posts
The fix is, um, the throwout bearing. Other parts that *may* be addressed could be the clutch disc, pressure plate, and flywheel, as well as the clutch master cylinder and clutch slave cylinder (the latter two are, IMO, the most likely culprits in the stickiness). Throwout bearing replacement will likely eliminate the crunching/grinding feel in the pedal travel (another symptom I had), but I'm not sure that the it bearing will have any impact on the stickiness. We'll see. The car went in on Monday, and will be done by Thursday or Friday. Am also waiting for a thermostat switch to be sent to Seattle from Germany; that is supposed to take ten days or so.
Throwout bearing did indeed fix the grinding... but even after my replacement the pedal sticks! This really is a big issue with 08s

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.