Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay this problem started about a few months ago, and I thought nothing of it until it recently got worse and worse. I brought the car down to Champion Audi in Florida to have them replace my headlight, and do the supposedly required 4 software updates the car needed.

I also mentioned the clutch issue, when I depressed the clutch it would make a cracking sound, as if a spring is clicking on the way down. After 5 days down at the dealer they finally lubed up my "Clutch Return" and sent the car back to me yesterday. On the way home the problem returned, but now the clutch was slipping while attempting to engage gears.

Today I brought the car back to the dealer (as they scratched my bonnet up pretty badly) had the shop foreman sit in the car and he felt the clicking sound, but stated he had no idea what it could possibly be. Now I have already been without the car for 5 days, and since they have no idea what is wrong with the car, I will be without it for an undisclosed amount of time.

I honestly do not know how to proceed, the dealer cannot provide a loaner to me as I am under their minimum age to use one. Bear in mind their last attempt did absolutely nothing to solve my clicking issue... And my assumption is that the car will be their for over a week now...

I would appreciate any input you have on clutch issues and where to go from here.

Thanks A5OC, much obliged!

Jordan.:mad::confused:

·
Registered
74 Posts
apparently many s5 owners complained about this same issue and discussed in other 'clutch issues'!
i had that 'spring clicking' sound for a few weeks when i had my s5 for 1 month, but the sound went away. you could hear it pretty loudly in the engine compartment and feel it in the pedal....guess no one has gotten any real fixes from any audi dealers so far......

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
apparently many s5 owners complained about this same issue and discussed in other 'clutch issues'!
i had that 'spring clicking' sound for a few weeks when i had my s5 for 1 month, but the sound went away. you could hear it pretty loudly in the engine compartment and feel it in the pedal....guess no one has gotten any real fixes from any audi dealers so far......
Audi is pretty apprehensive to do anything for me :confused:

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Greeney, my issues were a bit more extensive than yours (same non-smooth clutch-pedal action but coupled with extremely notchy shift and major clutch judder.

Audi did in fact replace the clutch for me a few weeks back but that only exacerbated matters - all of the above still present, plus the car frequently won't start now (tells me to 'depress the clutch' even when it's on the floor) and a ridiculous 'cycling' of the revs when the clutch is let-up on part throttle (i.e., in stop-start traffic). It used to just bung a load of random revs in there (as discussed elsewhere) - now it revs/dies/revs/dies.

Rubbish really. It's back in on Thursday......

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Greeney, my issues were a bit more extensive than yours (same non-smooth clutch-pedal action but coupled with extremely notchy shift and major clutch judder.

Audi did in fact replace the clutch for me a few weeks back but that only exacerbated matters - all of the above still present, plus the car frequently won't start now (tells me to 'depress the clutch' even when it's on the floor) and a ridiculous 'cycling' of the revs when the clutch is let-up on part throttle (i.e., in stop-start traffic). It used to just bung a load of random revs in there (as discussed elsewhere) - now it revs/dies/revs/dies.

Rubbish really. It's back in on Thursday......
I have a notchy shift as well, I will include the clutch shudder just because im assuming that is the vibration you feel when you kick off from a stop. Its a mess, and im upset over the whole situation. Judging from everyone's input I have begun researching the lemon law just to keep my self ready in case.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Update on this; dropped the car in yesterday for service (18.5K miles) and to have the clutch situation investigated. Got the Master Tech (who originally agreed that the transmission was 'agricultural' to come out and sit in it so he could see what I was saying at first hand.

Firstly he couldn't start the car (Thank you God!) - it tells you to 'depress clutch to start engine' even though the pedal is buried in the carpet. I pointed out that this particular symptom stared appearing after the clutch was replaced back in October and he agreed that it was a major fault. Check!

He also agreed that there was still noticeable and unacceptable levels of clutch judder/rumber when engaging at low speeds in low ratios. Check!

He noted that the first-second and third-second change was notchy and obstructive and needed attention. Check!

He also experienced the curious and highly irritating cycling of revs the car does when entering gentle revs with the clutch depressed and said that although he wasn't aware of any means of disabling the whole anti-stall mechanism (which we agreed was probably behind this), he accepted that it dramatically affected driveability and needed to be resolved. Check!

Of course, non of this was resolved whilst they had the car yesterday but they're going to order in pretty much everything north of the gearbox (including another clutch and flywheel which had been previously changed, plus master/slave cylinders, release bearing, etc) and take it in for a week in an attempt to resolve it once and for all.

So, I've got no problems with their acceptance of the issues and the warranty cover thereof. Just need it fixed now.......

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I still dont have my car back guys, but supposedly it will be ready today. The confirmed it was an issue with the gearbox and parts were ordered.

Issue was similar to this one
At about 18k miles, my clutch started vibrating between being stopped and accelerating through first gear.. Dealer claimed the clutch was worn and needed replacement. Wanted $5k. I tracked down (not so well) known issue where there was a batch of bad throw-out bearings used in some S5's which caused pre-mature clutch wear. Dealer confirmed this and replaced the clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing and flywheel all under warranty.
I will call them in a moment to see what is going on. 2 weeks and counting now.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay I got the car back last week... Everything seemed fine until last night. I was sitting in a parking lot when I realize that I was moving in neutral, naturally I thought I was on a hill so I confirmed neutral was selected. In doing this I heard a large clunk almost like the transmission was locking up and away I went! The car started going... Weird also the clutch still clicks to the floor and is slow to retract... Im starting to consider the lemon law on this car, opinions?

·
Registered
1 Posts
S5 Clutch problems

Greeney,
Thanks for your help the other day. So this is where I stand. The dealership informed me that if it is the throw out bearings it will be all covered under warranty, but if not then he is telling me that I will have to pay $1100-1300 just to pull it apart and then its a $4-6k job. Im irriated to say the least especially seeing all the problems you have been having. Is there anyway you can tell me the name of the dealership you took it to so I can tell my service guy and maybe they can communicate? Also..was it the gearbox or the throwout bearings or all the above? thanks again for you help

Dmax

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Greeney,
Thanks for your help the other day. So this is where I stand. The dealership informed me that if it is the throw out bearings it will be all covered under warranty, but if not then he is telling me that I will have to pay $1100-1300 just to pull it apart and then its a $4-6k job. Im irriated to say the least especially seeing all the problems you have been having. Is there anyway you can tell me the name of the dealership you took it to so I can tell my service guy and maybe they can communicate? Also..was it the gearbox or the throwout bearings or all the above? thanks again for you help

Dmax
Champion Audi in Pompano Beach FL! Anything I can do mate good luck. At this point I have opened up a case with AoA for a buy back... Im sick of the bull with this car, but in all honesty I will prob pick another one up if they buy this one back...

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Now its back at the dealer... This car is insane.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Get mine back tomorrow morning Greeney - according to the Master Tech who left me a msg last night (and seemed to have wholly understood and accepted my criticisms of the cluth/gearchange), it's 100 x better. I'll reserve judgement until I try it but I'm hopeful.

I'll alo aim to post a full list of what (in addition to the clutch, previously exchanged) they're swapped out as a part of this saga. I know it includes release bearing, master and slave cylinders, some sleeve or other - I'll get the details.......

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Update - 100%!

Guys, collected the car this morning - was still a bit apprehensive as after the original clutch replacement, the symptoms I've described above were more, not less pronounced.

This time, however, they've cracked it. The judder has gone, that strange phenomenon whereby the revs surge when the clutch is depressed and light throttle applied, is now also absent (apparently this was due to the release-bearing - but I'm not convinced; I was sure that it was electronics related - and bear in mind that my car's also had its ECU replaced at the same time as this clutch work), the gearchange is rifle-bolt precise, and the clutch-pedal action is smooth and linear across all of its travel.

All in all, to reach this point, the car's had a new clutch, new master and slave cylinder (responsible for the poor pedal action) and a release bearing (I believe, also referred to as 'throw-out' bearing). On this latter point, seems this is a known issue which is covered by TSB/TPI 2019484/1.

All of the work noted was covered by warranty. An interesting point on this, as the affect on warranty of performing mods is the subject of continued discussion on this forum, is that even though the ECU had been re-mapped (and the dealer was fully aware of this), the cost of replacement (over £700) was still borne by Audi - the Master Tech even reminding me that as it was a new unit, I'd need to have my 'foreign' map re-applied! Again, I can't stress enough the value of investing in a good relationship with your dealer's service team.......

It's been a long saga but it's worth it - I'm delighted with the feel of the transmission now.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Ess, I've noticed lately that my clutch judders when I pull away in slow moving traffic, if I use higher revs and slip the clutch I can eliviate the judder to a large extent. Was this part of the problem you had ?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Yup, pretty much mate - was most evident in stop-start situations when you're riding the clutch in first, but generally less evident during 'spirited' take-offs.

If it's bothering you (and it will likely only get worse), you may want to contact your dealer and reference the TSB - could be a bearing issue.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wonderful, thats great to hear! As of now my car will not be back until at least next week, the dealer has not even addressed my clutch issues yet.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ess, I've noticed lately that my clutch judders when I pull away in slow moving traffic, if I use higher revs and slip the clutch I can eliviate the judder to a large extent. Was this part of the problem you had ?
Same problem as I had, your clutch is on its way out, I had mine replaced after 18 months, 15,000 miles after having the same judder, this got worse to the point where the clutch would slip under acceleration.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts