Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, it's been 5 years since I last bought a car, my A5, so I'm a little out of practice!

I'm looking at a particular S5 I have found (not sure if I'm allowed to provide a link, but it's on the carterandhaines website (this is NOT an advert!)) and I have some questions and looking for some buying advice please!

- Firstly, it matches almost EVERYTHING I want from my next car... S5, BlackEd, 2016 model design, parking sensors/camera, advkey, boot hooks, black and black leather, sunroof, automatic... only thing I would've added would be adaptive cruise control but not a deal breaker.

So with that in mind, does this car actually look like a good car and value for money?

- What questions or things do I need to look out for or specifically ask about.
- do you have any general advice?!

Thank you in advance

Next step... convince the other half that I need to change my car out, and try and sell my current A5 to cover the deposit! :grin2::grin2:

·
Registered
544 Posts
Looks really nice. But really nice cars at good prices sell very quickly. "Sorry we just sold it" being something I heard more than once.. Jump or it'll be gone.. :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
It looks like good very value for the spec, no ADS, but other than that it's a great spec, you're getting a good discount for the mileage being higher than average. It's actually on Autotrader for £500 less than their website.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It looks like good very value for the spec, no ADS, but other than that it's a great spec, you're getting a good discount for the mileage being higher than average. It's actually on Autotrader for £500 less than their website.
ADS can be unlocked in the hidden menu though I believe (it was on my current A5 anyway!)

Is it? I see it as £27,495 on both... but I would be asking for some discount anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
Be quick cos it sounds great and ALWAYS make an offer of 10%ish less than the asking price simply because most folks and stealers always expect some haggling......

·
Sponsor
2,363 Posts
ADS can be unlocked in the hidden menu though I believe (it was on my current A5 anyway!)

Is it? I see it as £27,495 on both... but I would be asking for some discount anyway.
Easy to unlock, but having it stock on the car implies there's already some of the hardware to go with it like the dynamic suspension.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Well if you're buying a used S5 then you can't have a lower risk than buying one of the last B8s to come off the production line. Mine's a high spec car and for insurance purposes I like to have an idea of its current value, and estimate that it could be just over £30K. On that basis that one looks like a reasonable price. Quite a lot of options can be retrofitted (at a price) if you really want it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
[deleted]

Clearly wasn't meant to be... "I'm really sorry, someone has just called up and put a deposit down, but thanks for your interest."

Probably for the best, the conversation with the missus may not have gone as planned anyway!! :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
It's normal that they want to sell it cheap at this point, dealers work in quarters and we are coming up to the end of March. I bought mine at the end of June and they knocked off a good chunk if I agreed to buy it before the 30th. It's under warranty with Audi, so you should be ok unless it's been mapped (unlikely on a 2016) or CAT D (you should get something from the dealer showing that it hasn't been written off).

Go for it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
No ADS so definately not one i would go for. Nice price though.

·
Registered
128 Posts
for him apparently. no idea why, but i wouldn't buy the car he bought with the mileage it has, so we all have priorities.

mine didn't come with ads. Had mag suspension on my tt and while it was nice it wasn't anything amazing, ill never drive the car hard enough to make the sports diff required either.

of course if you have two identical cars then go for the one with ads. but overall condition is more important imo than that.

just retrofit the button and coding and you get most of what ads offers in real terms.

·
Registered
52 Posts
for him apparently. no idea why, but i wouldn't buy the car he bought with the mileage it has, so we all have priorities.

mine didn't come with ads. Had mag suspension on my tt and while it was nice it wasn't anything amazing, ill never drive the car hard enough to make the sports diff required either.

of course if you have two identical cars then go for the one with ads. but overall condition is more important imo than that.

just retrofit the button and coding and you get most of what ads offers in real terms.
I don't think the mileage on my car is an issue, why do you think it is? Its done a bit over average miles for its age.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Is (lack of) ADS really that much of a deal breaker?!
Its not a deal breaker for some but for me i wanted an S5 with specific options and ADS was one of them. ADS can make the car feel very different between the modes.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Since the subject has come up, I'll give you my views on ADS. When I decided to move on from my B5 S4 back in 2014 I test drove quite a lot of B8 S4s and S5s. What I quickly learnt was that:
1) The improved throttle response in ADS dynamic is quite noticeable and really does make a difference during "spirited" driving.
2) The sports diff is really quite impressive, removing understeer and overall improving the performance of the 4WD handing. Sorry James but it's not the case that it only helps in hard driving - it makes a big difference in the wet.
3) The variable damping makes a subtle but still noticeable difference in ride. In dynamic the handling is definitely better than the stock S suspension. In comfort the ride is definitely a bit softer.
4) The effect of the dynamic steering takes a while to appreciate. After my test drives I didn't and so I could almost have not have ticked that option but I am glad I did. Similar to the suspension there is a subtle but still noticeable difference due to the variable ratio. In dynamic the steering is a bit firmer and more precise, and because of the ratio change much less effort to handle the car during "spirited" driving. I even appreciate being able to switch to comfort and make the steering lighter under certain circumstances, although I admit I don't do it much.

So back in 2014 ADS was a deal-breaker for me which is why I ended up buying new instead. However if I were to buy used now, it would not be, purely because of the possibility to retrofit (including adding the button), and get the advantage of #1. #2 is good, but so rare that if it were a deal-breaker I might never find a used B8 to buy. And #3 and #4 are probably nice-to-haves, and if I found the stock suspension lacking that can always be sorted with aftermarket coil-overs.

·
Registered
128 Posts
2) The sports diff is really quite impressive, removing understeer and overall improving the performance of the 4WD handing. Sorry James but it's not the case that it only helps in hard driving - it makes a big difference in the wet.
don't need to apologise, i don't agree with you, not the end of the world. i've not had any under-steer in the rain or dry with mine, with 470bhp. And nor have i noticed any deficiencies with grip at any time, in scotland where its always wet. So i'm fine!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I don't think not having ads is an issue either. go figure! my 2014 has 21k miles which is where i would want it.
Thats a low mileage, mines double that but nearly all motorway miles and i only paid £22k for it with all the options i wanted.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts