Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I'm just wondering what sort of brakes to get on my s5, I don't track it but do drive like a bit of a loony. I'm not looking at spending thousands but was thinking of ceramics. Their around £100 in eurocarparts. Do I need different discs if I get ceramics. I have no idea about brakes or anything mechanical

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Just to be clear, are you talking about ceramic compound pads? Carbon ceramic discs would certainly cost more than £100!

·
Registered
123 Posts
If you're not wanting to go into the thousands then anything you do install will have marginal difference over stock i would say and if you are not tracking it then it really comes down to aesthetics. If you wanted to upgrade the calipers and go to larger disks that's into the thousands so that's out the window. That limits the options to same size disks & pad combos. You can go slotted/drilled/dimpled etc and go with ceramic pads which will give some performance gain but then if you are not tracking it you wont ever likely get into a situation on the road where brake fade etc is an issue. Certain pads will give noticeably less brake dust which is great when it comes to wheel cleaning.

That said I think i recall ECS do floating rotors same size as stock so would be lighter and better performance.

I was just recently in the same boat......had money for some mods but wheels/exhaust/sway bars won so the BBK upgrade got put on hold for later. I did get rid of the stock discs though so as not to embarrass my new rims and i went with EBC GD Sport Rotors slotted & dimpled with Red Stuff pads. Easy to get hold of and not bad price, think i got a full set for around 500 notes. Also look noticeably nicer than the stock due to the slots/dimples but they are bloody heavy like the stock ones. Are they any better performing than stock? Hard to tell just with road driving and they are still bedding in anyway.

I'd take a look at EBC and Hawke pads if it was just pads you wanted but im sure others will recommend more based on their experiences.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
The OEM brakes on a B5 S4 were pretty poor. I had the front disks and callipers replaced with a modified Porsche set. To my surprise and pleasure, the OEM brakes on my S5 outperform those Porsche brakes. I'm not sure how much they'd fade on the track, but for fast road use I think they are good.

·
Registered
114 Posts
If you want to go on a budget, you could just do stainless steal lines, more aggressive compound pads, and better brake fluid. For pads for the street I like the stoptech sport pads, they work really well up to about 140 mph.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Andrewcall,
I concur with what was said by jwr9152. I did the StopTech street pads, slotted rotors,stainless steel braided brake lines and motul performance fluid.
Not only are they 10 times cleaner but, for the first time the ABS actually kicked in with hard applications in the rain, which stock pads never did. I'm very pleased with them. It was recommended, by a senior member here, that I choose a brand other than EBC products if I was concerned with consistency and safety.
Best of luck in your quest.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Don't overlook the Stoptech 309 Street Performance pad.
I have run them on a Cayman S for street and track and in my modded Mk1 TT. They perform amazingly well for a combo pad. I had run Carbotech XP 12 track only pads for track events until I came across these. A friend of mine used them on his S5 at my suggestion and never had any brake issues at several track events we did together. They are a bit dustier than OEM pads but they are quiet and offer excellent bite and heat tolerance. They exhibit only an occasional squeak in cold temps. They do sound kind of abrasive when dead cold until you stop a time or two and get a bit of heat in them. They are inexpensive too!

As to rotors--- Quite honestly slots and or drilled holes don't seem to aid braking at all and drilled rotors crack far quicker when used hard. When the time for rotors comes, I will just put high quality plain ones back. Probably Centrics.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Personally I'm not a huge fan of yellow stuff pads. I prefer the stoptech sport pads and like the hawk hps pads also. I run carbotech xp12 on the track.

I have the stoptech bbk, so I run stoptech rotors and have been very happy with them.

·
Registered
114 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,293 Posts
A lot of USA sourced product isn't approved for sale/use in Europe, so we are often more limited on choices.

Brake pads sold here should be approved to UN-ECE R90 but there's little incentive for US producers if the European market isn't on their radar...

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
EBC= Every body Crashes

·
Registered
201 Posts
EBC= Every body Crashes
Thanks Scott for helping me adjust my decision on brakes.

Information on this forum is indisposable: Knowledge + Experience.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
you're welcome

·
Registered
213 Posts
+1 Scott's comments/reccommendations RE: EBC

Also, if you do a BBK, then to re-balance your bias you'll need more aggressive pads in back and/or less aggressive pads up front.

Like Scott, I spend many weekends tracking my S5 annually - over 1000 track miles each year. I'm running Pagid RS19 track pads on Frozen Rotor slotted OEM-sized rotors with Motul 600 fluid and OEM calipers. For the street, I'm currently running Hawk HPS+ on the same Frozen Rotor rotors. When the above pads are toast and need replacement, I'll go with Carbotech.

I'm not a fan of SS brake lines. While I've never seen an Audi OEM brake line fail, I have seen numerous SS replacements fail *at the track* - not a good situation for the car having a failed SS brake line, but even worse for those following that poor soul on the track.

Audi OEM brake lines are high performance parts and I'd bet that very few, if any of us could, under a blind A/B test tell the difference between OEM and SS.

·
Registered
4 Posts
+1 Scott's comments/reccommendations RE: EBC

Also, if you do a BBK, then to re-balance your bias you'll need more aggressive pads in back and/or less aggressive pads up front.

Like Scott, I spend many weekends tracking my S5 annually - over 1000 track miles each year. I'm running Pagid RS19 track pads on Frozen Rotor slotted OEM-sized rotors with Motul 600 fluid and OEM calipers. For the street, I'm currently running Hawk HPS+ on the same Frozen Rotor rotors. When the above pads are toast and need replacement, I'll go with Carbotech.

I'm not a fan of SS brake lines. While I've never seen an Audi OEM brake line fail, I have seen numerous SS replacements fail *at the track* - not a good situation for the car having a failed SS brake line, but even worse for those following that poor soul on the track.

Audi OEM brake lines are high performance parts and I'd bet that very few, if any of us could, under a blind A/B test tell the difference between OEM and SS.
Great point. Best to spend our $ on upgrades which add function AND form (looks)!

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
+1 jwr9152
+1 smokey I use ss lines because I have felt fade under heavy repeated braking and at speeds of around 140 and continuous braking I don't like the idea of a rubber line swelling (although I have never experienced that ) to smokeybreeze's point! I use carbotech xp12 front and rear with wilwood 600 plus fluid. I think the setup is perfect and I have tested many miles on track and highway-that being said it might be a bit much for a civilian road usage even if you are as looney as you say. Hawk Hps seem to be the favorite pad for local looney driving however I would recommend carbotech xp 8 or 10 but as you can see I'm a big carbotech fan and in case you didn't see my earlier posts EBC = everybody crashes and I'll keep posting that till everyone either believes it or they go out of business-they suck!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
11 Participants
almostS50
Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum
A5oc Forum is an international Audi A5-S5 owners club to discuss mods, AWD quattro, turbo upgrades & more
Full Forum Listing