Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have just purchased a 2013 S5 Coupe.

Previous owner says he’s never changed the battery and judging by the VCDS values, at least how I interpret them, I am guessing it’s the same battery from new, which will now be over 9 years old.

There was one previous owner before him that may have changed the battery just before he sold it if the serial number of the battery is an indication of the date? ‘230417H0DM’ then I think it may have been changed in 2017 before being sold to the chap I bought it off but would like some clarification as to whether this serial does state manufacture date or whether it’s just random?

Battery in the car currently does have a BEM sticker so I am assuming if it was changed it would have been done by Audi but I can’t see anything on any paperwork relating to a battery change.

TL;DR

Should I replace my battery based on the screen shot attached? Worth noting this was taken with engine running.

Cheers

Font Material property Rectangle Screenshot Electronic device

Font Screenshot Parallel Electronic device Technology

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 A4Q/8K 6MT MMI 3G+
548 Posts
VAG p/n 4L0915105 is replaced by p/n 000-915-105-CF (105AH/580A H9/L6 AGM). Confirm starter battery spec PR-J0P from the vehicle information sticker (likely affixed to the body under the boot floor). More notes on that here: Speaking of Batteries: A Brief Review of ETKA VAG Part...

I don't think you can assume a date code is embedded in a BEM serial number. You should, however, find a date stamp on the battery, possibly on the negative terminal (if the battery is VAG-branded), e.g.:
Tin Nickel Gas Silver Circle

Regarding whether to replace now (or wait), I'll let others remark on that. Personally, I'd monitor the State of Charge value and Quiescent Voltage in VCDS; SOC should be around 80% and QV should be above 12.2V for healthy lead-acid starter batteries. --g

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@DrGER Thank you for that.

I didn’t realise there may be a date stamp on the negative terminal so will check that tomorrow.

To be honest if it turns out to be the original battery from 2013 I will be replacing it anyway. 9 years is good innings from a battery.

Is there any advantage with replacing with a higher Ah/A? Or is it not worth the coding headache?

·
Registered
2014 A4Q/8K 6MT MMI 3G+
548 Posts
Unless you have money to spare, no good reason to upgrade. But in your case, J0P is already the largest AGM starter battery spec for this car, unless a previous owner "upgraded" from, say, J0Z (the largest conventional spec starter battery). Since you have (or have access to) VCDS, you'll want to recode anyway, regardless of what you refit in the car. --g

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes sticker has J0P code.

Is it best to buy another from dealer with a new BEM? Or if I buy from elsewhere, will changing one number from the serial do the trick as long as it’s the same spec?

·
Registered
2014 A4Q/8K 6MT MMI 3G+
548 Posts
The starter battery your local VAG dealer will sell you is likely the same as another (major) branded starter battery of the same spec (unless you buy from, say, Halfords?). In our little corner of the US, I don't get any significant discount from list price from the local Audi dealer unless I ask nicely, and nothing from the VW dealer parts counter (different local owners). But some of the national auto parts chains with local shops sell rebranded VAG starter batteries for less than dealer list, so you might find a similar case in the UK. Still, a battery that meets/exceeds the PR-J0P spec should be just fine. BTW, the VAG dealer list for 000-915-105-CF here is 454 USD (!). --g

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@DrGER Okay great, I will check Tayna and euro car parts for one of the same spec and just fit that then. I’ve called my local Audi before for my old A5 and they wanted £400 fitted. Crazy! And that was before the recent inflation ha.

As long as I can just change one digit in the serial to get it to work correctly I am happy with that.

Thanks for your time.

👍

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Having trouble finding an exact replacement using the part number supplied by @DrGER and dealer has quoted me £370.73. Can anyone confirm the battery in the link below will fit?

·
Registered
2014 A4Q/8K 6MT MMI 3G+
548 Posts
@Domm - Varta is an OEM for VAG, so I suspect this is the OE equivalent for VAG p/n 000915105CF. The key specs for you here are 105 Ah and AGM. Yeah, £177 is better than £371 -- that's a hefty markup for a VAG sticker. --g

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
Varta make excellent batteries (also supplying OEM) and they come with 2 year guarantee. Good choice!!

Reactions: Domm and sayek

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Seems like a waste of good battery. It could be low on on charge as previous owner did short trip like I do.
Mine reads 30% to 50% as its mostly local driving.
Potentially.. but it is a 9 year old battery and the car is new to me so I don’t mind spending the money for possible preventive maintenance.

I also noticed the stop/start doesn’t ever kick in, may be the battery? Not that I particularly mind the start/stop not working but could be a a sign of a battery that’s on its way out?

Car isn’t logging any fault codes however.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Could be Start/Stop is already disabled? See, e.g.: Stop/Start B8.5 - VCDS Disable? --g
It’s enabled, I always see the white A symbol on the DIS when it’s supposed to kick in but it never does. It’s probably worked twice in 200 miles of driving.

I know these systems have a lot of variables with driving style etc so that may be why.

·
Registered
277 Posts
It’s enabled, I always see the white A symbol on the DIS when it’s supposed to kick in but it never does. It’s probably worked twice in 200 miles of driving.

I know these systems have a lot of variables with driving style etc so that may be why.
Try pushing the brake pedal firmly. Light on the brakes doesn't engage auto stop/start.

·
Registered
200 Posts

My previous BMW needed min about 70% or 80% charge for the stop/start to function. Current A5 is 2009 prior stop/start feature.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Potentially.. but it is a 9 year old battery and the car is new to me so I don’t mind spending the money for possible preventive maintenance.

I also noticed the stop/start doesn’t ever kick in, may be the battery? Not that I particularly mind the start/stop not working but could be a a sign of a battery that’s on its way out?

Car isn’t logging any fault codes however.
A well looked after AGM are known to pass 10 years. Did you check the date stamp on the negative terminal?
I appreciate about preventive maintenance part. For a 9 year old car there will be other priority preventive maintenance like tired suspension if still original. If that car is still on original then it will transform to different ride with a refresh. Enjoy the lovely motor :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A well looked after AGM are known to pass 10 years. Did you check the date stamp on the negative terminal?
I appreciate about preventive maintenance part. For a 9 year old car there will be other priority preventive maintenance like tired suspension if still original. If that car is still on original then it will transform to different ride with a refresh. Enjoy the lovely motor :)
I did, it’s the original battery! I’m sure it would go 10 years plus but certainly won’t hurt to stick a fresh one in. One that I can properly maintain whilst it’s not being used. I don’t do a lot of miles.

The car has only done 54k so I am hoping to get another 20/30k on it myself before I start getting any suspension problems etc. Car has been very well looked after by previous owner also.

My only slight concern at the moment is the MMI oil gauge showing around 60% full and it was recently serviced on 1/6/22. Maybe it wasn’t topped up completely or maybe it’s consuming oil. I will keep an eye on it for now and see if it drops anymore over a short period.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
@Domm based on what I can see in this thread it's the original battery and it does not need to be replaced yet. I had been planning to wait until a warning message before changing my 7.5 year old battery but then we decided to have a small UK touring holiday and so I gave in to fears of problems I could do without and changed it before we went. My aging data was worse than yours. I upgrade from the OE Varta 92Ah to a Varta H15 105Ah from Tayna.

Reactions: Domm
1 - 20 of 27 Posts