Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been told that the 4.2L V8 used in the S5 is essentially a "de-tuned" version of the same V8 in the RS4. I am curious if anyone can enumerate the differences in the 2 V8s. Thanks. Crosley.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
The only thing they have in common is the displacement and maybe a few other things. Audi has 3 different 4.2 V8 engines. The one in the S4 which does not have FSI. The V8 in the RS4 which is a very different engine from the S4 V8 things like pistons etc are different. And finally there is the 4.2 V8 that is in the Q7, I believe it is this one that is also in the S5, again this is different from the other two engines.

More info here: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103884

So in summary you have:

S4 - 4.2 V8
RS4 - 4.2 V8 with FSI
S5 & Q7 - 4.2 V8 with FSI (different from RS4)

·
Registered
493 Posts
Actually i was told from my dealer that the engine in the S5 is the same like the one in the RS4.
:) thats what i know

·
Registered
206 Posts
isn't the S5 V8 a detuned R8 4.2 V8?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, SAJ, for the link. It appears authoratative enough to me. I guess it would have been to much to expect a simple chip to add another 70 BHP.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Thanks, SAJ, for the link. It appears authoratative enough to me. I guess it would have been to much to expect a simple chip to add another 70 BHP.
An exhaust with 100 cell sports cat and a re-map will most likely get you close to 380 bhp but I doubt anymore than that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts