Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, a few weeks ago I had the "Turn off engine and check coolant level" notification pop up on the dash, so did just that, coolant fine but engine temperature was very hot (not sure exactly how hot but gauge was up to the top).

Just come back from Audi who had it in, they diagnosed cracked coolant reservoir bottle and replaced it. I'm not convinced due to no sign at all of lost coolant.

Anyway, just drove it 5 miles back to work, using Torque monitored the coolant temp. Started at 87c when I left Audi, got to work and it was hitting 120c during the journey.

Should it run that hot? I thought it would be around 80-90c under normal conditions?

The last thing I want to do is overheat and cause problems with the engine.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It shouldn't be 120 degrees. I used to have something similar a few years ago - any time I'd go over 70mph the temp would creep higher than 90.
Turns out I had a tiny split in one of the coolant hoses and the mechanic only noticed it when he felt a drip on his shoulder when changing my thermostat.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Do you guys monitor coolant temp. Using obd? Or you just look at the gauge? Because it's 2 very different things...
I would say that seeing 105C-110C, when monitoring the coolant temp. Using obd, in hot climate conditions and slow traffic, is a normal thing. But the temp. Should drop quickly to anywhere from 96C to 100C, then go up again.
The gauge should always indicate 90C.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts