Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just came across thsi site. I didn't realise there was a forum for the A5-S5, amazing! booking marking this one:)

I had a quick question: What oil do you guys use? I had a warning that mine is running low and I should Top up. I used to have an A3 diesel so not sure what the best one on the market is for this car!

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Hi and welcome :)

I would check your handbook, but normally 0W 30 is the oil to go for. 0W 40 can be used but it may very very slightly increase fuel consumption.

On the later V6 turbo as your engine is, it may also recommend a lighter oil like 0W 20, but checking in your handbook would be the best bet.

The screenwash bottles are quite big, around 5 or 6 litres! Do you use the screen wash a lot? If the headlights are on, it will also jet wash the headlights too when you wash the windscreen. Also this feature can be reduced for the number of times the headlight wash operates per windscreen wash via VAG com. The headlight wash does use a far amount of fluid.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi,
thnks for your reply. Ok,re a few oil opt I wil check the logbook. Are there any brand that you woud meme? I used to use exxon mobil one but heard one of the shell ones were also a really good quality

WRT screenwash, i actually don't use it much at all, whihc is why I am surprised it doesn't last long. However, I think when i do use it, clicking the stick once squirts it twice actually and a set amount so there isn't much control over this really.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Most of the oils are good nowadays. just check the bottle for the Audi specs Eg, VW505.01, this is also in your handbook. :)

I use Castrol Titanium FST.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so the manual says VW 508 for flexible and vw 502 for fixed. I am nto sure what the diff is but checking the service history, flexbile has been used before. I'm thinking instead of just topping up the oil, i might as well take it in for a service

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Flexible service is what they used to call the long life service, basically a higher spec oil that will go the extra miles and extended drain intervals.

The services vary for model/engine, but this is a basic example
Flexible - 16,000 miles/2 years+
Fixed - 10,000 miles/1 year

I always use the higher spec long life spec oil, but change it every 6-7k miles, or based on the MMI service, which on fixed type, tends to be by the days and not miles. More so during the past year where I have only done about 2k miles. Normally it would be 8k miles per year.

For the cost of a simple oil change. I do it every year, more so if you are tuned or like to drive spiritedly :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I just called a garage and got quoted me around £450 for the scheduled service :eek:

He said according to the schedule( last service less than 2 years ago and car is 3 years old) I need:
  • sum washer
  • cabin filter
  • Break fluid

is that right?

Also, the service light hasn't popped up, it just says oil top up to max. So i was thinking, I don't know if the last service used 0w-20 or 0w-30...can i use either one? Is it bad if the 2 are mixed?

The manual says VW 508 so just googling to see which oil that corresponds to but seem to get mixed results on various sites lol

·
Registered
133 Posts
So I just called a garage and got quoted me around £450 for the scheduled service :eek:

He said according to the schedule( last service less than 2 years ago and car is 3 years old) I need:
  • sum washer
  • cabin filter
  • Break fluid

is that right?

Also, the service light hasn't popped up, it just says oil top up to max. So i was thinking, I don't know if the last service used 0w-20 or 0w-30...can i use either one? Is it bad if the 2 are mixed?

The manual says VW 508 so just googling to see which oil that corresponds to but seem to get mixed results on various sites lol
I'd get a few quotes in first. And even try Audi dealer(s) to see if there are fixed price services.
As your car is 3 years old you may get the Audi fixed price.

Reactions: s5tor5

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Yep Audi quoted me £450 too, even though they have access to the digital service and know what it needs!! They said do the £450 service just in case! All mine needed was a brake fluid service at £65!!! That's the last time I went to Audi!!

Yes you can mix oils for topping up. :)

Try searching for an Audi Independent, some do have access to the Audi Digital service system, but most won't as it's like £5k to have access! You can take it to another garage and get 'hardcopy' service paper work. Audi started the digital service system in 2014, so any Audi 2014 on will have no service book.

Reactions: s5tor5 and savs

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Where abouts are you, maybe a member on here could recommend a good garage near you?

·
Registered
101 Posts
0w20 spec for B9 S5, never seen this spec before at my local parts supplier, apparently new spec for the B9 engines. In saying that I would hesitate to put a quality 0w30 fully synthetic (PAO ester based) in if it meant avoiding audi pricing.

As for DIY you can buy a cheap 12V oil extractor and pull the oil out via dipstick hole and pour new oil in, filter is accessible on top and only requires a big socket (36mm?) to remove.

Brakes are a little more involved but only needed every 2 years so not worth fretting unless you're broke... Then why own a 2017 Audi :)

Just change the oil if it needs doing, vs topping up.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I'm in London but happy to travel out, up to 50 miles
I'm up in Manchester, so couldn't give you any recommendations, sorry. But hopefully someone else can?

·
Registered
23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
0w20 spec for B9 S5, never seen this spec before at my local parts supplier, apparently new spec for the B9 engines. In saying that I would hesitate to put a quality 0w30 fully synthetic (PAO ester based) in if it meant avoiding audi pricing.

As for DIY you can buy a cheap 12V oil extractor and pull the oil out via dipstick hole and pour new oil in, filter is accessible on top and only requires a big socket (36mm?) to remove.

Brakes are a little more involved but only needed every 2 years so not worth fretting unless you're broke... Then why own a 2017 Audi :)

Just change the oil if it needs doing, vs topping up.

Yeh I will get the brakes done. But on the oil, is the link i sent above good do you think? I've never seen these extra spec/labes on oils. i.e what does LL IV FE mean?

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
Hey mate simply buy the BEST oil you can which of course conforms to the Audi spec!!! Castrol or Liquidmoli or Total it really does not matter buy the best!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts