Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I need to replace the headlight bulbs in my 14 S5 as one has gone. I had a look at it to see if I can do it myself however the videos I have seen on internet were not like what I have. For a start the cover had these plastic push plugs, 2 of which I broke taking out so need new ones. Any ideas outside of dealership if I can get these? After that I didnt want to push and pry the cover as it still seems pretty stiff and stuck and it got dark so will have another look tomorrow. Do I need to force the cover towards the wind screen to remove without breaking anything else or is there anything else I need to undo/remove?

I was expecting 5 screws to remove but I cant see any besides the one near headlight (right hand side). Am I correct in assuming I don't need to mess with the bumper just to remove headlight?

If there are any tutorials on this for 8.5t I would love to read.

thank you for any help.

rgrds

·
Registered
254 Posts
You dont need to touch the bumper to change a headlight bulb. The plastic pop up clips can be bought off ebay for a few quid and the secret is to push them down slightly then prise them up with a flat blade screwdriver. You can simply pull the plastic panel off as it is held in by a few clips.
Passenger side is easier to remove the bulb or headlight as there is more room. From memory i think you remove 3 bolts and slacken1 off and headlight slides out.

·
Registered
49 Posts
This has how to remove. https://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/562720-DIY-B8-5-ecode-headlight-install

Another tip is to loosen the front bolt holding the fender on. It will allow you to move the fender out slightly and give you more clearance.

Careful with loosening the bolts for the headlight tabs. Too much and they may fall out and they can be tough to reach down on the pan or you may have to remove the pan.

Be patient putting them back in. You have to angle them just right otherwise they seen like they never will slide in

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well I managed to change the passenger side today. Took 45 minutes :D. I was deliberately (mostly) slow as its the first time I have done anything more challenging than checking the oil level with a dipstick. Taking it out was okay but putting it back in was a bitch. Some learning's I can share with anyone else attempting it with 8.5t A5 or S5 as an addition to the excellent guide Neil F linked above.

There are 5 nuts in total after you have taken the plastic cover off which has the plastic push screws. 2 on top front and 3 in rear. You need a a TORX30 screw driver/bit

The two nuts at front side along with washers need to be removed completely.
The 3 in rear need to be loosened only. The closest screw to you in the rear that sits at top (other 2 are below and at same level as each other) goes into a compression type fitting (the screw is long and doesnt come out of the fitting). I found out the hard way that the whole fitting needs to be removed after loosening because the whole fitting dropped on the bottom pan after having loosened it and left it in when I pulled on the headlight so be careful and make sure you hold it with one hand while you loosen and then take it out. Luckily I could reach it with my hand as it fell in a good position.

With the two rear most screws, you can actually put your hand underneath the plastic plate into which they screw to feel how much play you have on them. I loosened them a very small amount to get the light out but had to loosen them more to get the plastic U tabs on the light to slide back in. As I said earlier putting it back in seemed harder.

There is a small rubber drainage tube which affixes on the left hand side of the light. This needs removal and sliding back on.
There is a rubber covering type strip that goes around the right side of headlight and partially on the top. It wont stay affixed and it needs a double sided sticky tape piece to fix and keep in place. Mine came off while sliding the light out.

And after changing the light bulb , don't forget to put the round rubber cover back on . Good thing you can slap it back on after having fixed the light back in as well. Who would forget something so simple like that... :D

Driver side is next and I am not looking forward to it because space is even tighter.

·
Registered
551 Posts
i think i have removed some parts of the air filter rather than removing the headlight, and the passengers was relatively easy as there was plenty of access, but change for both took me around 1.5h or so. Good luck with it ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts