Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Really struggling now. I noticed water in the rear footwell (swimming pool). Dried out water and checked drain holes etc.
Drove for a bit and water pooled again ( no rain and heater off).
Dried again and left as I had work.
Got to the car after heavy rain fall and full again( 1.1 ltrs water taken out!). Drove it and full again but it wasn't raining. Dried out and washed car and now full again.
I have no idea where to look now and my powered seat has failed.
Really could do with some help from you guys before I need to spend money at a garage.
Ps no sunroof.

· Registered
297 Posts
Merry Christmas dude! Not really sure about your problem. First thought would be to check the petrol cap surround, there is a small duct that can get blocked and also inspect the filler area surround.

Its not clear from your description, but if its filling up when not raining but driving then it might be coming from underneath. Personally, I'd try to eliminate this by inspecting/identifying the highest wet areas first. If its inside the power seat mechanism, then it should be coming from above.

I believe there are modules underneath the seat (comfort control?). Needless to say you really don't want them to get wet. That could be where your seat issue lies.

· Registered
5 Posts
Greetings, I had the same problem on May 12 2011 on my 2008 A5 Sline 3.2L. This is caused by the rear sunroof drain hoses creating water intrusion. This is from the dealer's note. I have the actually invoice with all the parts etc. Please send me your email or phone number and I will send over the paperwork.

· Premium Member
3,818 Posts
MUST be some blocked drain holes. You need some wire as well as a hair dryer and loads of er patience!! Each of the 2 doors has a series of drain holes and you must have some blockages mate. Take the car inside, open the windows and start looking and the fuel filler area is another canditate as well as the boot.

Reactions: Reddog

· Registered
2,356 Posts
That is a lot of water! Is it clear water? Just to rule out fluids like coolant.

Is it wet anywhere else?

It won't be the petrol filler drain as this is outside the car and if blocked will either run down the inside of the wing/fender or overflow underneath the fuel door.

Is it wet in the front footwell? Remove the front scuttle plastic panel under the wipers and check for blocked drains in the bulkhead/firewall. Does the door window shunt up/down when closing/opening the door. It should drop by 10mm when opening and raise again when closed. Check in the front up behind the dash, if it's wet up there, then it's a bulkhead drain/windscreen seal.

This is a long shot, but have you checked the boot/trunk under the spare wheel well cover? A5s can have issues either with the rear tail light cluster seals or boot lid seal. But I guess the water would have to be pretty deep to overflow under the back seat. This would mean your battery would be taking a bath!

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi and thanks for the info.
Boot is dry and the usual small leak/drip by the lights.
Water in the car is very clear with no smell of anything other than water.
Parked the car against a wall and filled the fuel cap area with rags, just to see if cause.
Opened car and carpet still slightly damp but nothing like before.
So took her for a spin with no rain, no heaters on just in case and footwell was totally flooded again within a minute.
Taken door casing off and no leaks, scuttle clear.
Really struggling now as I don't have anywhere to take the car apart and the seat has stopped working lol
Looks like it's off to the garage .. I wonder if they do monthly payments lol

· Registered
2,356 Posts
That is weird! So the footwell only fills with water when you go for a drive and its not raining!? The water is clear with no smell?

· Registered
2,356 Posts
It could collect under the back seat, but only if your boot is overflowing with water, plus it would be on both sides of the rear footwells.

The fact that water appears from 'no where' points to the water being somewhere and the movement of the car transfers it to the footwell? I doubt it would be the doors as it would leak out onto the sill and outwards. Could be the rear quarter panel? Have you checked behind this? Surely that amount of water can be heard sloshing around when driving?

So the carpet behind the pedals is dry and you have checked under the scuttle panel where the wipers park?

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi

Thanks for the response.
No water under back seat, boot or under pedals.
No sloshing as that was my first thought as I'd owned an alfa previously lol.
Both windows drop and close as they should. No evidence of water.
Only thing left is to take door cards out, rear seats and side panels and see if water is coming in over a period of time but unfortunately it's my only means of transport, plus seat electronics no longer work!
To be honest I think I need to get it into a garage so that can take out seats and carpet to find source.

I'll.post once I get it booked in.
Thanks all for your excellent responses.

· Registered
41 Posts
I just solved a water leak in my RS5. In my case water was coming under the rear boot seal and making its way through the chassis into the rear fuse box compartment. Had a really hard time trying to determine the source of the leak. I took out all the interior panels in the trunk and ran water down the back of the car with a garden hose while lying in the car with a flashlight to find out where the water was coming from.

You need to find your way back from the puddle of water to the source of the leak. I think you need to start removing the door-card, C-pillar and rear panel on the right side of the car and see if you can find any point of entry. There are only a few places where water can enter: door seals, window, sunroof and sunroof drain. Spray some water on those spots with a garden hose and see when water starts to enter the cabin. It's a hell of a job and can take hours to track down as water can travel quite a distance until it reaches the lowest part and forms a puddle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts