Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hee hee! I just beat an RS4 Avant away from the lights (and no, he didn't have a dresser in the back!). On the way back from B & Q (=Trade Depot, for our US brethren) and saw the RS (black, smokes, 57 plate) ahead, driving in a 'spirited' fashion. Stuck way behind in traffic and assumed he was long gone. However, coming up the A33 towards where I would turn off left to my house, it all came together. Dual carriageway, traffic lights, quarter of a mile of 2-lane merging into one at the start of a l/h bend. And said RS4 in nearside lane, stopped at lights. Alone. Empty outside lane. You can tell when they clock you in the mirrors, and I had a split-second decision to make. Turn left as planned and head for home, forever wondering, or subject myself to the potential of a traffic lights GP humbling.

Stupidly, I chose the latter and rolled up to the lights, stopping alongside. Didn't mean to but glanced over - maybe if he was nice, he'd smile at me and I'd feel better after I'd subsequently been humiliated. He didn't, eyes straight ahead on the signals - but I knew he'd already clocked me. He looked like a bit of a cock, too, which doubled my resolve. Heart rate went up; everything depended on the next few seconds. I mentally rehearsed the 'Huh, fool, I wasn't even trying' look he'd see in his mirror in a few seconds - and then the lights changed.

Must admit, I was thinking of Quattring's 1/4 mile efforts and his advice on # revs, clutch action, etc. I pulled in about 4000 (I think, was a bit of a blur...) started feeding in the clutch as the last 500 or so of the revs dialled in and off we went. Oh sweet joy - nerves had clearly got to the poor lad. I changed out of 1st precisely as the rev-limiter showed its face and 2nd hooked up beautifully - he was behind by this point, albeit by only half a car. At this point, your mortality confronts you. My lane finished in 200 yards, we're both travelling at 70mph and he is absolutely not going to let me in if even only an inch of our cars still overlap. You have to make a split second decision on whether to back out of it, or whether you have enough of an advantage to press home and filter into the one lane without undue risk. And once you make that decision, you're committed. As I became, as I went to third, again, one of the best gearchanges I'v ever made - thank you Lord, and went for it. I could hear that he wasn't backing off - so I fixed my eyes on the bend and gave it all it had. Bend came up, swooped into it, no sound of tortured metal, no sudden bump from behind - just a mirror full of RS4, sunglass-clad driver an inch from my bumper.

Luckily, had to pull of the main road after about 2 miles (every inch of which had had Mr RS locked on my bumper, periodically swerving out to the fill my driver's mirror and take up an 'overtaking' stance) - and as I filtered left, was treated to the sound an RS4 makes when it's deeply p*ssed-off driver drops a cog or two and gives it beans, as if to say 'any other time, any other time'.

But there won't be another time, just this one. And I won. Hee hee! Must admit, even as I type, can't stop smiling, childish and irresponsible though my attitude and actions were. For all the on-paper stats and the halo surrounding the RS4, we have to remember that the S5 is a potent car which has an 80Kg and 52lb/ft torque advantage over its more celebrated stablemate. Hook it up right and this all starts to count.

One for the S5s!

Right, Missus is calling, time to go and do the ironing.......:eek:

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
It's in these situations where the S5 has a chance against an RS4. The torque advantage gives you a lead, and if the race is short enough, it will be over before the RS4 starts breathing fire..
I had a couple of extended runs with an RS4 and i was at it's backdoor each time. Not bad for the S5....

Is your lower right leg still shaking with adrenaline????

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
He he... Great stuff

I've got another little story about the mighty S5 for you...

I was two cars behind a brand new red ferrari of some sort in the cue for the lights and there were about 20 or so assembled persons at the bus-stop next to us... Their eyes were all over my S5, completely ignoring the Ferrari!!! :)

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Ha ha, brilliant. All the more reason to further improve the performance of the S5, that re-map is becoming even more tempting now.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Makes one feel all "warm and fuzzy" doesn't it...Nice Story Ess.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Nice story, I love happy endings...

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Nicely written Ess, and nicely driven too ;)

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Well-written story, Ess. Why is the "57 plate" so significant? Would you please explain?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why is the "57 plate" so significant? Would you please explain?
Hi Europa, in the UK, we have a fairly (at first glance) complex system of appointing car registrations - essentially, cars registered from March 06 onwards would have an '06' number (preceded by a couple of letters indicating region of registration). In September 06, this changed to '56', then in March 07, '07' appeared, etc.

So a '57' indicator represents a current spec car, registered after Sept 07 - in fact probably one of the last RS4s registered before the run-out. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
It is a great story, well written and even better driven! ...I've just read it again for the third time!!!

...I have to admit, I would have take the next turn too even if it wasn't mine, or indicated to let him come by... just to annoy him... "quit while you're ahead!"

...We should get a chance to do some more giant killing at Mallory Park in a few weeks! Hope you've got your RS4 beating shoes on then too!

:D

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Actually... I just thought... He has probably telling his mates right now how he was able to keep up with this 500bhp supercharged S5 off the lights !!!

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Actually... I just thought... He has probably telling his mates right now how he was able to keep up with this 500bhp supercharged S5 off the lights !!!
LOL. Oh yes, I have no doubt that as far as he's concerned, 'he wasn't ready', 'his slippers got caught', 'bastard cut me up, dangerous b*stard', and of course, that he all this happened in the face of a heavily (and probably illegally) modded RS5. Love it!

·
Registered
31 Posts
midtown

was on park ave pulled up by light on 53rd and right along side pulls up a pimped out bentley gt 08. the guy rolls his window and says shit, nice lines dude! i said wanna go @ it he says why not. ppl are lookin on as we are revvin high. it was a big joke cause there was crazy traffic. we had a good laugh . i say coming from a guy driving one of the most beautiful cars built ( i think ) was a nice trip.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Great read Ess5ive and great driving!

One for the S5s!

Right, Missus is calling, time to go and do the ironing.......:eek:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts