Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

S Tronic

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  blinky 
#1 ·
When the 3.0TDI Quattro autobox is released does anybody know if it is expected to be Tiptronic or S Tronic?

#2 ·
I believe Tiptronic is the term used for the Porsche gearbox. The gas/fuel car will have the DSG or S-Tronic option. As far as will the TDI have it I am not sure but the DSG is offered on other diesel vehicles made by VW/Audi so I don't see why this one would be an exception.

#5 ·
I cant speak for Porsche but the Audi 'Tiptronic' greabox is a traditional auto box but with the ability to overide the box'es gear selection and select the gear yourself either by using the 'toggle' feature of the gearshift or the wheel paddles. The in 'tipronic' mode the box wont let you select a gear the engine cant handle at that moment and will automatically change up or down if the extreme for that particular gear is reached. The Multitronic box (the continously variable box) also has this feature in so far as you can toggle up and down the 7 'virtual' gear positions offered throughout the whole constantly variable range. The 's' tronic is just the new name for the DSG box. Are all three of these Audi boxes available in US? perhaps they have different names?.

#6 ·
Now I know where I am getting confused. Here is an article on the Tiptronic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiptronic

Porsche was the first to use the name 'Tiptronic' so I was always under the impression that the word 'Tiptronic' was only used for Porsche but they license it. "Tiptronic® is a registered trademark, and it is owned by German sports car maker Porsche, who licenses it for use by others such as Volkswagen, Audi and Skoda."

I know the Tiptronic and DSG are available, I am not sure about the Multitronic box but I would think it is.

The DSG (Direct-Shift Gearbox) is what I prefer as it doesn't have the torque converter.

#8 ·
lol

Tiptonic simply means an auto box with the option of manuelly changing gears by the push of a botton/paddle near the steering wheel. the porsch tip box is a race box, change in an average of 350 ms. the DSG (S-tronic) developed for audi by a british guy, changes in an avg of 200ms. a Multitronic (AUDI) is a posh CVT and it doesnt really have any gears. but they program it so it does so woman wont get confused. DSG is superior, however it does have it's huge weight disadvantage and the current specs cant cope with much torque. do DSG if i were u.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.