Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that. I am not surw what you mean by the 'porsche' gearbox. 'Tiptronic' is the term used by Audi for their 'traditional' autobox, i.e.non multitronic or DSG.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I cant speak for Porsche but the Audi 'Tiptronic' greabox is a traditional auto box but with the ability to overide the box'es gear selection and select the gear yourself either by using the 'toggle' feature of the gearshift or the wheel paddles. The in 'tipronic' mode the box wont let you select a gear the engine cant handle at that moment and will automatically change up or down if the extreme for that particular gear is reached. The Multitronic box (the continously variable box) also has this feature in so far as you can toggle up and down the 7 'virtual' gear positions offered throughout the whole constantly variable range. The 's' tronic is just the new name for the DSG box. Are all three of these Audi boxes available in US? perhaps they have different names?.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.