Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, hope you're all doing ok on this weirdest of Mondays. In need of your experiences. I had issues with the s tronic gearbox and the jerking forward from 2nd to 1st, and as advised the gearbox service was done, the garage said they've done the software reset, but aren't being clear weather they've done a software update. It's all been done under warranty by the trader, so I've not had much say in where this is done, and even tho it feels a load better, the jerking from 2nd to first is still there, albeit ever so subtle now and not every single time I come to a stop, but I'm still aware of it. Would this just be a software issue to sort this out, I'm hoping it's not the mechatronic unit, but I've read the clutches can be adjusted. Under the circumstances, it's not getting driven much. But dont want to leave it too late to inform the warranty company of any further issues. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
508 Posts
It might be worth trying one of those gearbox mount inserts that Eamonn sells. They are supposed to tighten up the slack in the drivetrain.
They're a cheap and easy fit and might help somewhat with your issue.
Maybe worth a try before you start to spend fortunes.

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
Not sure mate but note that auto boxes in general are VERY sensitive to the level of oil (as well as the oil spec, which must be VW Audi approved) in the box. A lack of EVEN 100mL can make the box perform correctly or feel hesitant. When my A5 felt like I needed a gearbox fix cos it was slipping in first and second from cold, my mate who runs a fleet of luxury rental cars tried the A5 and told me to get the oil changed and then top her up all the way, he even jacks one end of his cars up onto a ramp when he fills the gearbox. I followed his tips and the gearbox was restored to perfect!!

·
Registered
370 Posts
If the transmission computer was reset, give it a few days for the computer to adapt to the new settings required with the new fluid. After you reset it, the transmission continually tests different pressures/timing of the clutches to determine how best to shift.

Of course, this assumes the fluid level is correct and the filter was changed as well. When the fluid is underfilled, the transmission will shift rough when cold but gets better once warmed up. If the fluid is overfilled, you risk too much pressure and blowing out the seals.

Since there is no dipstick on the S-tronic/DSG, it's a pain in the butt to get the fluid at the right level. You can't just fill it up as much as it can take and call it a day. In other words, it's very possible the technician did not do a good job changing the oil.

Here are the test drive paramters to get the transmission adapted asap:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts