Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Audi upgrades S-tronic to handle more power
Audi is preparing a new version of its S-tronic dual-clutch gearbox with the ability to drive more power to the wheels and also work with longitudinally mounted engines. The gearbox is expected to first show up in the upcoming Q5 SUV, but will eventually make its way to the A4 and A5.

One of the primary limitations of the old gearbox was the inability to handle torque figures higher than 320Nm, however this has been boosted to 550Nm in the new model. This means we’re likely to see more performance models with dual-clutch shifting. At the moment Audi is forced to use a CVT transmission in the A5 3.2L FSI and the S5 tiptronic models because the engines develop 330Nm and 440Nm respectively. The current RS4 develops 430Nm so even with a generous boost for the new generation model, it’s likely Audi will be able to offer dual-clutch as an option and make it below the 550Nm cutoff.

Previous owners of Audi and VW dual-clutch gearboxes were limited to six gears, however the new model will get one more. Both automatic and manual shift modes will be available for drivers.

The gearbox is likely to be mated to the new quattro AWD system with sport differential, which we have previously reported on here.

Audi is expected to completely replace standard automatic or CVT gearboxes with dual-clutch ‘boxes on all but a few models such as their Q7 SUV and A8 limo due to higher torque figures (in the case of the Q7 V12 TDI) or smoother shifting.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/technical/audi-upgrades-s-tronic-to-handle-more-power/

Perhaps those of you who are getting an automatic and a long wait list, should just hold off until the DSG arrives :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
any ideas watso ever about when the s5 automatic will receive the dsg

·
Registered
290 Posts
i wish they would just tell us.........I'd much rather the dsg gearbox but I already have my deposit in-so i have to wait till june anyway-if its gunna be available a couple a of month after (2-4months) i'd rather just wait....thats dumb-they should have just made all the automatics (dsg) since everyone has to wait anyway........maybe we'll luck out???

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i wish they would just tell us.........I'd much rather the dsg gearbox but I already have my deposit in-so i have to wait till june anyway-if its gunna be available a couple a of month after (2-4months) i'd rather just wait....thats dumb-they should have just made all the automatics (dsg) since everyone has to wait anyway........maybe we'll luck out???
June is a long time, and if you already have a car you can drive now, I'd say you should just wait. It's believed that the newer A5 might even come with the new vector-quattro AWD.

·
Registered
290 Posts
wats the new vector awd system?

·
Registered
256 Posts
wats the new vector awd system?
Torque vectoring is the ability to split the torque between the rear wheels, so that, for example, when cornering more torque can be applied to the outside rear wheel to combat understeer. I think the Acura's SH-AWD is an example. There may be others, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Got DSG on my A3 and it really is rather fine. Fantastically efficient in real world scenarios, brilliant in jams/slow traffic but still terrific fun to drive when you want to take control. And of course it never stalls or rolls backwards because regardless of whether you're in full auto or "manual" it will always change gear if required (which means it's also not possible to redline it either).

Be aware that all these "DSG for longitudinal" rumours were around when I ordered my A3 over 3 years ago. The old B7 A4 was supposed to get it shortly after launch according to a lot of the pundits at the time but it never arrived.

I'm sure Audi will make it happen but if they've had to launch the new A4/A5 platform without DSG/S-tronic then I wouldn't hold your breath.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Be aware that all these "DSG for longitudinal" rumours were around when I ordered my A3 over 3 years ago. The old B7 A4 was supposed to get it shortly after launch according to a lot of the pundits at the time but it never arrived.
I can understand, but this time, the source is straight from the Germans:

http://www.audiblog.nl/?p=1025

·
Registered
175 Posts
Rough translation for the non-Dutch amongst us:

Audi comes with an improved version of the S-tronic gearbox with double link the S-tronic (formerly DSG), which can handle more power. The current generation is not suitable for longitudinal subscribed engines. Moreover, the existing container destruction draaimomenten over 320 Nm. Because the competition is not standing still, it was time for a stronger variant. Audi took advantage of the opportunity by an additional resistance to the transmission to be added, bringing the total number of gears comes at 7. Especially for the length direction issued engines, such as The A4, A6, A8 Q5 and Q7

The biggest difference, however, lies in the torque that the new container can handle: a maximum of 550 Nm. This is the transmission 'ready' for combination with V6 and V8 engines. Even the S6 and S8 are eligible, because both models deliver up to 540 Nm. The various Audi's 4.2 FSI mounted power supplies up to 440 Nm and the 3.0 TDI engine from the Q7 falls with 550 Nm even just within the borders. Also, this new S-tronic gearbox for the S4.

In essence: More Models, More Gears, More Torque

·
Registered
175 Posts
I hope the "new" S-Tronic/DSG still has "Launch Control" like my R32.

I don't use this sequence much, 'cos I can't help thinking that it's probably not so good for the transmission, but there are occasional times when my "Secret Weapon" is called for. It's like Nitro, without the gas bottle :D

This is how you "Deploy" Launch Control..

·
Registered
290 Posts
Do you know if this is included in a 2004 a6 3.0 quattro-(or if theres any way to check lol-besides trying it)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Man you cna wait all you like, but as soon as you pull the trigger they release what you've been waiting for..

Ho-well.. I'm sure the Tiptronic I've ordered isn't bad, but in direct comparison, I'm sure I'd weep..

Couple of nice diagrams form the same news doing the rounds here in Germany:

and a pic of the 1st S-Tronic car from Audi
The 1985 Rally World Cup 'S1 Quattro Sport' :cool:

·
Registered
714 Posts
Wow - they used to make rally cars from cereal boxes? I never knew that. My 6 year old son makes much better Tie Fighters and X-Wings from old cornflakes boxes. X-Wing takes Quattro any time :)

·
Registered
714 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
My current car has DSG and I'd thoroughly recommend it. All you guys with long waits for S5s should be asking whether you can change your orders although the article does say "summer" for ordering.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.