Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here tuned their A5 for E85 in the US? Right now Im stage 2 APR w/ downpipe with a 93 tune. Recently I have added a cold air intake, and am planning for a resonator delete, so I would like to re-tune the car for these mods, but if Im going to re-tune the car, I figured I might as well tune for E85. Obviously this would require some extra hardware, as Im pretty sure this car is not flex fuel. If I wanted to go down this route, what do I need to replace? Do you know any reliable E85 kit and tune? I can't find much information online :/

TLDR: Im APR Stage 2 w/ downpipe, but have added CAI, and plan on adding resonator delete and E85 conversion. How can I go about this?

Also, should I go ahead and upgrade intercooler too? I head its a big difference when tuned for it

·
Registered
6 Posts
I believe the APR stage 2 supports E85 as the way it works is it uses the Ethanol sniffer to adjust timing advance, etc.Since APR was bought by a larger entity you can no longer get the stage 2 unless you have the downpipe that comes with the code, I bought mine too late and was not able to find any but I am moving over to doing my own HP Tuners tune now. I have been running E85 pretty much exclusively since I bought the car and its a major difference in power. It also costs less, but uses more then reg gas, but I find the tradeoffs to be well worth it.

B8.5 A5

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you are saying I can run E85 without modifying any hardware like injectors? Is that what you have been doing? Also could you give me a link to the HP Tuners tune, as I am planning to re-tune in the future with new mods, this would be really helpful.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So you are saying I can run E85 without modifying any hardware like injectors? Is that what you have been doing? Also could you give me a link to the HP Tuners tune, as I am planning to re-tune in the future with new mods, this would be really helpful.
My 2016 A5 supports E85 out of the box, I believe since you are face lift yours should as well. Look inside of the fuel cap door and it should be listed there just to triple check. HP Tuners is a DIY or you pay someone to tune you after you buy the hardware and get credits for your ECU, if you have stage 2 APR, you should already have everything you need unless you have a really old file. I have been doing some of my own tuning since my B5 S4 but its a while so I will have some catching up to do, but it is not a just pay and your tuned sort of deal. HP Tuners also supports the ZF8 transmission and there have been some guys in the Q5 world that have done some amazing work on them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My 2016 A5 supports E85 out of the box, I believe since you are face lift yours should as well. Look inside of the fuel cap door and it should be listed there just to triple check. HP Tuners is a DIY or you pay someone to tune you after you buy the hardware and get credits for your ECU, if you have stage 2 APR, you should already have everything you need unless you have a really old file. I have been doing some of my own tuning since my B5 S4 but its a while so I will have some catching up to do, but it is not a just pay and your tuned sort of deal. HP Tuners also supports the ZF8 transmission and there have been some guys in the Q5 world that have done some amazing work on them.
Unfortunately my fuel cap door does not say E85 :( And thanks for the info on the HP Tuners, my reason for wanting the re-tune is based on what I know my APR stage 2 does not take my most recent mods into account, like my CAI or say I upgrade intercooler in the near future, so I want a tune that will. My APR tune has program switching but only for Valet mode, stock, 91, and 93, no E85, so thats another reason to get a separate tune. Overall, thank you for your help!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Unfortunately my fuel cap door does not say E85 :( And thanks for the info on the HP Tuners, my reason for wanting the re-tune is based on what I know my APR stage 2 does not take my most recent mods into account, like my CAI or say I upgrade intercooler in the near future, so I want a tune that will. My APR tune has program switching but only for Valet mode, stock, 91, and 93, no E85, so thats another reason to get a separate tune. Overall, thank you for your help!
I think you are missing what I am saying, the 91 and 93 tunes work with E85, they are all based on the E85 that you have in the tank and the sniffer determines that.

If you look at the chart or contact APR they will tell you that the E85 is NOT a separate tune, it is built into the 91, 93 and 100 octane tunes.

If your car is a facelift B8 which I believe starts at 2013, your car supports E85. I do not even know if my gas door says it or not either, but I know mine supports it as it has a ethanol sensor and yours probably does as well. If you have a VAG cable or OBDELEVEN you can look under engine and logging and look for the ethanol sensor and running regular 93 or 91 it should be like 10 to 15%. The APR tunes will take into effect your mods because a lot of the ECUs in modern cars do calculations on what is going on and gives X based on that.

The safe levels, max levels, etc are what are changed on a more customized tune where you can push things further. As it seems you are not too deep on this stuff, it would probably be best to stick with an off the shelf tune, unless you were to pay someone to do a custom tune for you and give you X amount of revisions based on your logging you send them. When you are custom tuning it takes time to dial things in and it usually costs.

This is all very high level, if you are really interested in getting into wrenching and tuning, just hop on the Google machine and start reading, its all out there!

Good luck with your project!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I called APR and they did confirm that B8.5 A5s do in fact support E85 through flex fuel, and that the extra E85 tune could be flashed to my car for 60 dollars. I called my local APR dealer and they confirmed that they could flash E85 and replace one of my 4 tunes for an extra cost. So hopefully this time next week I should be running E85! Thank you for your help and support.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So a little more research and yet another call to APR say that it is not in fact compatible with E85, apparently some B8.5 models are, the ones with the metal intake manifold, but not all. And in my case it is not which is a bummer. I guess I will have to look into an E85 kit or something. I really dont wanna risk just trying E85 and seeing what happens. Really wish someone sold an E85 kit with all the needed components or something. :(

·
Registered
27 Posts
So a little more research and yet another call to APR say that it is not in fact compatible with E85, apparently some B8.5 models are, the ones with the metal intake manifold, but not all. And in my case it is not which is a bummer. I guess I will have to look into an E85 kit or something. I really dont wanna risk just trying E85 and seeing what happens. Really wish someone sold an E85 kit with all the needed components or something. :(
Is this on your daily driver vehicle that you drive all year ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah pretty much, Im a college student too, so I dont want to fry my engine and not be able to afford it
I just know that if you want to run E85 you don't really want it on a vehicle that sits a ton in the garage. From what I've been told you want to drive an E85 vehicle fairly regular. Mine is garaged a ton, so I just stick with a good premium fuel tune in mine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just know that if you want to run E85 you don't really want it on a vehicle that sits a ton in the garage. From what I've been told you want to drive an E85 vehicle fairly regular. Mine is garaged a ton, so I just stick with a good premium fuel tune in mine.
I see, I had heard stuff about E85 being bad if left sitting too long. But still, I would need new injectors, intake manifold and a fuel pump to use E85, no?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts