Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who have RS6 wheels on your S5 - did you get these from your local Audi dealer? Also how much were they with tyres?:)

·
Registered
549 Posts
I got mine via eBay from a guy in Germany. These were straight off an RS6, not RS6-style wheels for an A/S5. So I got the brand new, barely used tyres as well.

It cost me a bomb to freight them to Australia but still cheaper than buying the wheels alone from my local AUDI stealer.

Total cost of wheels, tyres and freight was 3095 Euro. Thankfully I paid for them before the Australian dollar dropped to where it is today!

Attachments

·
Registered
341 Posts
I get mine mounted this Saturday

I will get to see how they look in person.
I am hopeful they are lighter than the stock S5's (which I really like), but will be used with my winter all-season tires.

I'll post pictures when it is complete

·
Registered
341 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
beautifuls spec ^^^. those wheels integrate seamlessly with your car. thank you for sharing.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
A5inReston: replicas :(, to be honest you need to 20inch ones, and slightly lowering, the car looks every so slight too high, but beatiful pics none the less.

·
Registered
158 Posts
20 inch winters?

Robb - those are his winter rims! The price of 19 inch winter tires is outrageous - can't imagine paying for 20 inch winter tires!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Guys
Thanks for the comments.
The S5 is my daily driver, so I am trying to preserve my ride quality with the 19's. I can get by with these with the moderate amount of snow we get here in Virginia. Further north, folks would be inclined to go with 18's.

Also, for now I have decided to not lower the car. This is in consideration of ride quality, and also considering I have Drive Select, love it ,and do not want to compromise it. I know it could look better a bit lower, but so be it. We'll see over time.

Lastly, these are genuine Audi wheels special ordered from Germany, not replicas. I could (perhaps should) have gone with the replicas (such as Hartmann) and saved some $s, but they were no RS6 replicas available when I ordered them and I have more confidence in the build quality of the Audi units. These are pretty light too.

Bottom line, I like the wheels. The shots of the RS5 with these wheels convinced me to try them. However, I still think the standard S5 wheels are the best look.. IMHO. Those go back on in spring with my summer tread tires.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Also, for now I have decided to not lower the car. This is in consideration of ride quality, and also considering I have Drive Select, love it ,and do not want to compromise it.
Shouldn't we be able to install lowering springs without affecting ADS? ADS doesn't do anything with spring rates, it just changes damping rates.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Shouldn't we be able to install lowering springs without affecting ADS? ADS doesn't do anything with spring rates, it just changes damping rates.
Yes, that is correct. However, even with installing aftermarket springs, the ride quality wouldn't be quite the same as the stock setup with ADS since you'd have tighter springs. Thus, the ride quality technically would be "compromised" as A5inReston mentioned.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It would be valuable to know what the stock spring rates are so we can compare them to aftermarket options.

H&R offers 2 different spring sets for the A/S5, an "OE Sport Spring" with a 1.0"/1.0" F/R drop and a "Sport Spring" with a 1.3"/1.25" F/R drop. In each instance, the A5 and S5 part numbers are the same. So, for example, is the OE Sport Spring spring rate significantly higher than the stock S5 rate and much much higher than the A5 rate? Or instead, just significantly higher than the stock A5 rate and pretty close to the stock S5 rate?

If we had some spring specs, we might find a lowering option with negligible ride quality impact, at least for S5 owners. I couldn't find spring specs on the H&R site.

It would also be useful for those who have switched to lowered springs to comment as objectively as possible on the difference in ride quality compared to stock.

·
Registered
914 Posts
The RS6 wheels can at least do 272 :)

There are indeed the same (genuine) German wheels as I have (see earlier post/pics) and it looks (and drives) great. Today I was in Germany and drove 272 km/h on the clock (265 km/h on gps!).......pity then it stops accelerating because of the limiter, but the car then still drives amazingly stable, is quiet and you feel it can do more :cool: I think I will remove the limiter, I think it must go 285 km/h or so on the clock at least

1 - 12 of 12 Posts