Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased an RS5 Steering wheel for my 2011 S5 Cab... amazing. It looks subtle in pictures but the difference in wheel thickness and overall feel is pretty awesome.

So my problem is, the airbag is not compatible as every parts supplier insists. The stock S5 airbag is shallower and the stock wheel has mounting pins next to the two bolts, the RS5 wheel does not. The RS5 airbag is slightly narrower and also has the MFSW connector at the bottom where as the stock wheel has it at the top; there isn't enough slack in the harness to connect the MFSW harness to the airbag connector.

I have verified that the RS5 is what it is supposed to be and looked at other S5 wheels, like at BKS tuning, and I don't see a wheel with the same configuration as my stock S5 wheel. Is this wheel/airbag specific to the Cabriolet? Can I purchase a standard S5 coupe airbag? Any thoughts would be greatful!

·
Registered
23 Posts
The cab does seem to have a different airbag. I bought a S5 steering wheel but it turns out that it came from a cabriolet so it did not fit. I ended up getting the RS5 wheel instead and I'm glad I did. The feel is just excellent!

Anyway you can get a new airbag but I'm not sure if you will need a new harness. If you are getting a new airbag, why not consider the flat bottom wheels instead? Will be more worthwhile that way.

There is an airbag on sale in the classifieds over at Audiworld forums but please double check if it will fit before getting it! Or you can contact [email protected]! He provides excellent service and can get you the airbag or a flat bottom wheel package! He has several on sale now.

http://www.a5oc.com/forums/europrice/17093-flat-bottom-steering-wheel.html#post176504

·
Registered
3 Posts
Want to swap airbags?

I have an RS4 2007 airbag that won't fit in a new Cabrio wheel I bought. I basically have the opposite problem you do. Where are you located? Want to swap airbags?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts